• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
This is a continuation of the discussion in the Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales thread, but for Stagecoach South Wales only.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
Getting this thread started, I can report that Stagecoach South Wales are duplicating the 0652 X15 Rogerstone Morrison's to Newport and the 0617 and 0717 X24 Varteg Hill to Blaenavon.

The X15 I can understand but I'm surprised those X24 journeys are busy

tramboy

In terms of X24 I would imagine it's more down the eastern valley that needs duplication - someone presumably meant to put Cwmbran rather than Blaenavon in the tweet.

Because of the lack of any funding arrangements for an increase in service from WG (see link below):

...then duplication is the only way forward to maintain any sort of social distance. Varteg-Cwmbran would always be the busiest section as there are more chimney pots in that bit. No point in sending empty buses all the way to Newport.

Dai Corner

Established Member
In terms of X24 I would imagine it's more down the eastern valley that needs duplication - someone presumably meant to put Cwmbran rather than Blaenavon in the tweet.

Because of the lack of any funding arrangements for an increase in service from WG (see link below):

...then duplication is the only way forward to maintain any sort of social distance. Varteg-Cwmbran would always be the busiest section as there are more chimney pots in that bit. No point in sending empty buses all the way to Newport.

They've since published a new timetable, effective from tomorrow. Half hourly over the whole route Blaenavon-Newport plus half hourly shorts Varteg-Cwmbran. That makes sense, as you say.

Normal pre-pandemic service was every 10 mins Blaenavon-Newport

tramboy

I must get my lottery numbers in!

Given the current state of the "5 mile rule" in Wales, plus the fact that Newport was never the best shopping centre in the world pre-pandemic, I can't see a full length 10 minute headway being needed again for some time yet. It all depends on what happens if/when there is a commercial bus market again, remembering that the Cwmbran-Newport section is the competitive stretch for Stagecoach & Anslow pre-pandemic.

Markdvdman

Hi all, I notice the X75 Merthyr to Swansea service has had no service since lockdown, yet STILL online showing as no service. The cynic in me says they will cancel this service longterm! Or maybe they will wait until Swansea bus station is back into use, and after next week when the travelling within Wales limits have been lifted?

tramboy

It's worth reading the above to see the Welsh Gov't thinking on the industry post-pandemic. The funding arrangements which mean services have increase in England & Scotland aren't present in Wales - the announcement above only came out on Thursday.

In effect, it seems that Welsh Gov't are going to use the pandemic to carry out the actions proposed in their Buses Bill (which won't get through the Senedd in this term now it seems) by exercising more control over the industry in return for restart funding. The statement mentions "partnership" a lot, but as we know in Wales, there is a belief (made more so after the Express/Padarn/GHA affairs up north) that begrudges public funding going to an industry over which there is little control. We know that WG see even the reimbursment for concessionary fares, required by law, as "funding" not as revenue for providing a statutory service!

So, back on topic - it depends if the X75 Merthyr to Swansea, in it's pre-pandemic form is a priority of either the local authorities along the route or Transport for Wales as to whether or not it will allow Stagecoach to receive any restart funding. I would suggest that there are other priorities - increasing local services in Merthyr for example, along with the reticence of people to travel long distances at the moment (think why would previous customers want to go to Swansea or the University at present?) - that would mean X75 won't be seen for quite some time.

cnjb8

Established Member
The heavily delayed order for the electric Optare Solos and MetroCitys has been cancelled. I believe they were part of the OLEV funding nearly two years ago.

woolos

From the 16 January the x3 service will only operate between Pontypool Abergavenny Hereford..
They are also cut the x24 blaenavon to Newport ever 15 minute daytime.
They have also cut the 26 blackwood to cardiff to every hour

Furryanimal

From the 16 January the x3 service will only operate between Pontypool Abergavenny Hereford..
They are also cut the x24 blaenavon to Newport ever 15 minute daytime.
They have also cut the 26 blackwood to cardiff to every hour
Reading the Stagecoach website it seems to suggest that on arrival in Pontypool the X3 will become a service 23 to Newport.
It says passengers can stay on the same bus.
Presumably works the other way too.
They are advising passengers to use Newport Transport services to Cardiff.
I use their X30 service at 0900 in the Summer for my cricket trips but need the X24 to get to Newport.
Not exactly friendly timing now to get that bus( will probably use NBT 29 now as it runs through my estate).
And it will be a slower journey home in the evening with the X30 having finished and no X3.
I know there are trains to Cwmbran but i travel free on the bus!

iantherev

Accordin to the Stagecoach website, There are service reductions in the Merthyr area from 29th May. The Merthyr - Bargoed corridor goes from 3 buses per hour to 2 with some interesting diversions to cover everything and the former flagship X4 (Abergavenny - Cardiff) is going. The Merthyr - Abergavenny service will be replaced by an extension of the 78 from Pontypridd to Merthyr with fast connections available via the T4 (effectively reducing Merthyr - Cardiff fast services from 3 to 2 each hour). All very depressing but possibly better than the current lottery where services are randomly cancelled at short notice on a daily basis.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Was passing Brynmawr depot the other day and it had 'for sale' signs all around it. Not sure on the current land ownership but could be interesting.

Last edited:

iantherev

Brynmawr depot also had a For Sale sign outside it when I passed it on 17th June.

Meanwhile, fleet movements from recent observation

28725 Cwmbran to Merthyr
28731 Merthyr to Porth
37023/4 Porth to Merthyr
47639 Merthyr to Cwmbran
47820/1 Merthyr to Porth

In addition 28737 is at Aberdare - not sure if this is a loan for the summer or a permanent transfer.

The 65 plate Enviro 300s are now receiving local livery (ex Gold). 27276 photographed and 27287 observed today.

Markdvdman

I got on the Number one bus at Asda (Dowlais) to get to Merthyr bus station as the roadworks prevent pedestian access to walk it! It was bad walking up I would not risk walking down! Disgraceful to not allow pedestrian access though! The bus by the way was absolutely rammed so must be a profitable route for Stagecoach! I noticed the bus going back to Bargoed just before was full too! Nice to see with all this doom and gloom actually!

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
15613, 15838 and 15965 have been transferred to Porth for use on route 132 (Maerdy - Cardiff).

I wonder if Stagecoach are planning to convert the 132 to double decker operation or not

Dai Corner

Established Member
I got on the Number one bus at Asda (Dowlais) to get to Merthyr bus station as the roadworks prevent pedestian access to walk it! It was bad walking up I would not risk walking down! Disgraceful to not allow pedestrian access though! The bus by the way was absolutely rammed so must be a profitable route for Stagecoach! I noticed the bus going back to Bargoed just before was full too! Nice to see with all this doom and gloom actually!
They've recently reduced the frequency between Merthyr and Bargoed so there are likely to be higher loadings I guess. By the way, the 1 is a lovely ride between Asda and Bargoed with sheep and cattle grids up on the moors and great views of the Rhymney Valley.

DaveHarries

Established Member
C1 not getting any funding as is the 404 unless it was cut back to Bridgend. Theres quite a backlash in Bridgend about the cutbacks to the 172 and 404 due to Welsh government refusing to fund routes which compete with others. Heard Merthyr Council were trying to.fi d a way to save the S80 as it is well used on Sundays. The 88 and S79/E79 been killed off since covid. The Bendricks part of the 88 route could be served by diverting some daytime trips on the 94

The X2s are going to struggle between Bridgend and Porthcawl this summer I drive the 404s regularly quite a few times we've been full and standings before we even reach Bridgend because people using us as they dont need to change buses at Bridgend.

I used to drive the X2s wasn't u usual yo have to refuse entry at Bridgend because you were full and standing.coming in from Cardiff and Cowbridge. 404s served Nottage who it means loose they last bus service

Routes were cut by Welsh government. Could have been a lot worse frankly
Apologies for going O/T (by taking this into Stagecoach-related things) but I heard that a Stagecoach Cymru group on FB, of which it was mentioned that some of the drivers are members, had details of some pending changes posted to it for routes in the areas of Aberdare, Caerphilly, Cwmbran, Blackwood, Merthyr and Porth. Among those listed for Aberdare was this item which suggests that an extension of the 172 may be in the pipeline at the northern end:

Aberdare
- 172 & 6 merged Monday - Saturday, Merthyr to Bridgend. (removal of 6) and Sunday maintained.

No effective date was given so unfortunately this may be rubbish but we will see.

HTIOI,
Dave

markymark2000

On Moderation
Apologies for going O/T (by taking this into Stagecoach-related things) but I heard that a Stagecoach Cymru group on FB, of which it was mentioned that some of the drivers are members, had details of some pending changes posted to it for routes in the areas of Aberdare, Caerphilly, Cwmbran, Blackwood, Merthyr and Porth. Among those listed for Aberdare was this item which suggests that an extension of the 172 may be in the pipeline at the northern end:

Aberdare
- 172 & 6 merged Monday - Saturday, Merthyr to Bridgend. (removal of 6) and Sunday maintained.

No effective date was given so unfortunately this may be rubbish but we will see.

HTIOI,
Dave
Thats a confirmed change from 30th July
Service changes 23 July 2023

Most services will have changes to times to improve the reliability of the services although some services may change to reflect different travel patterns following the pandemic and customer demand. New timetables will be available very soon, please continue to check this page.

Aberdare areas (from 30 July 2023)

• Services 172 and 6 will merge, Service 172 will run from Merthyr Tydfil to Bridgend Monday to Saturday and from Aberdare to Porthcawl on Sunday only. Please see Traveline.Cymru for alternative services from Bridgend and Porthcawl on Monday to Saturday.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Thats a confirmed change from 30th July
Whilst it seems odd (perhaps) to drop the Cardiff - Hereford link I guess that usage between Pontypool, Pontrilas and Hereford was not particularly high with the trains taking much of the Cardiff - Abergavenny - Hereford traffic. I also think that the reinstatement of the T14 between Brecon and Cardiff is a good thing: I have used the T4 over that section and I have found it fairly well patronised - and not just with pass holders.

Dave

Last edited:

Marcus Fryer

15964 was in Bristol today (13 August), running on the ‘Balloon Fiesta’ shuttle (Temple Meads station to Long Ashton).

Simon75

On Moderation
I've noticed on the T4 at least, some early/late journeys from Newtown, which is quite away from a Stagecoach depot

RELL6L

I've noticed on the T4 at least, some early/late journeys from Newtown, which is quite away from a Stagecoach depot
The evening journeys to mid Wales all seem to run back in service, but the morning runs starting in mid Wales leave Merthyr very early to get there. This morning 21361 appears to have left the depot at 04.23 to run the first journey from Newtown while 21357 left at 05.14 to run the 06.33 from Crossgates. I believe there was once an outstation in Crossgates and a small depot in Brecon but I guess they reckon its cheaper to run out from Merthyr.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I believe there was once an outstation in Crossgates and a small depot in Brecon but I guess they reckon its cheaper to run out from Merthyr.
I think the Crossgates was very shortlived. Brecon was just a parking area outside Bishop Meadow that even had a fuel pump (!) but nothing else; very longstanding site that dated from when National Welsh closed the proper depot in the town.

Very surprised that they closed the outstation there as the amount of dead mileage is prodigious!

tramboy

Brecon was just a parking area outside Bishop Meadow that even had a fuel pump (!) but nothing else; very longstanding site that dated from when National Welsh closed the proper depot in the town.

Very surprised that they closed the outstation there as the amount of dead mileage is prodigious!

Brecon closed as the outstation land was/is owned by Bishops Meadow Caravan Park - the popularity of the burger restaurant they opened ("Hills") meant that they gave notice for additional car parking spaces - rather than bus spaces.

iantherev

I think the Crossgates was very shortlived. Brecon was just a parking area outside Bishop Meadow that even had a fuel pump (!) but nothing else; very longstanding site that dated from when National Welsh closed the proper depot in the town.

The owners of the site wanted to develop an upmarket burger restaurant with car parking and Volvo and Optare buses weren't part of the vision. The lease was not renewed and then lockdown happened. Some drivers still work out of Brecon using the restroom in the Interchange as a base.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Brecon closed as the outstation land was/is owned by Bishops Meadow Caravan Park - the popularity of the burger restaurant they opened ("Hills") meant that they gave notice for additional car parking spaces - rather than bus spaces.

The owners of the site wanted to develop an upmarket burger restaurant with car parking and Volvo and Optare buses weren't part of the vision. The lease was not renewed and then lockdown happened. Some drivers still work out of Brecon using the restroom in the Interchange as a base.
I know they were redeveloping Bishops Meadow. Just more surprised that they didn't find an alternative in the area

DaveHarries

Established Member
Various registrations today (06-Feb-2024) from Stagecoach South Wales, many of which are related to the closure of the New Adventure Travel depot at Taffs Well. Changes which went through on the N&P today can be summarised, by area, as follows, all effective 01-Apr-2024.

Abbreviations:
NS: New Service, CX: Cancelled Registration, SN: revised route number, TT: Timetable Change, RT: Route Change

Blackwood & Risca: 5 (TT, RT), 95A (Sch) (TT), 151 (TT), R1 (CX), R2 (CX)
Merthyr & Brynmawr: 1 (SN, TT), 23 (TT), 25 (TT), 33 (TT), 35 (TT), 78 (TT), X15 (TT), 815 (Sch) (TT)
Pontypridd & Rhondda Valley: 102 (TT), 120 & 130 (TT), 122 (TT), 124 (TT), 131 (CX), 136 (TT), 150 (TT), 152 (CX to fflecsi), 404 (NS)
Cwmbran & Pontypool: 1 (TT), 2 (TT), 5 (TT), 5C (TT, RT), 6 (TT), 7 (TT), 9 (TT), 10 (TT), 11 (TT), 12 (TT), 15 (TT), 16 (TT), 17 (TT), 21 (TT), 23 (TT, RT), X24 (TT)
Also the 86X (Caerphilly - Cardiff) is cancelled.

I expect a few more to follow before the end of this week, among which changes to the route and timetable of the 26 (Blackwood - Cardiff) for which an extension to Ebbw Vale, with significant TT revision, is apparently coming so I will keep my eyes open.

HTIOI,
Dave

markymark2000

On Moderation
Various registrations today (06-Feb-2024) from Stagecoach South Wales, many of which are related to the closure of the New Adventure Travel depot at Taffs Well. Changes which went through on the N&P today can be summarised, by area, as follows, all effective 01-Apr-2024.

Abbreviations:
NS: New Service, CX: Cancelled Registration, SN: revised route number, TT: Timetable Change, RT: Route Change

Blackwood & Risca: 5 (TT, RT), 95A (Sch) (TT), 151 (TT), R1 (CX), R2 (CX)
Merthyr & Brynmawr: 1 (SN, TT), 23 (TT), 25 (TT), 33 (TT), 35 (TT), 78 (TT), X15 (TT), 815 (Sch) (TT)
Pontypridd & Rhondda Valley: 102 (TT), 120 & 130 (TT), 122 (TT), 124 (TT), 131 (CX), 136 (TT), 150 (TT), 152 (CX to fflecsi), 404 (NS)
Cwmbran & Pontypool: 1 (TT), 2 (TT), 5 (TT), 5C (TT, RT), 6 (TT), 7 (TT), 9 (TT), 10 (TT), 11 (TT), 12 (TT), 15 (TT), 16 (TT), 17 (TT), 21 (TT), 23 (TT, RT), X24 (TT)
Also the 86X (Caerphilly - Cardiff) is cancelled.
Plenty more than that have been registered but perhaps it's not gone through the system yet

Merthyr 22 they have won from Peters Minibus Hire
Caerphilly H, Pontypridd 104 and 106 and Aberdare 89 won
Abercwmboi to Penywaun 91 won from Keepings Coaches
Porth 173 won from Thomas of Rhondda

I expect a few more to follow before the end of this week, among which changes to the route and timetable of the 26 (Blackwood - Cardiff) for which an extension to Ebbw Vale, with significant TT revision, is apparently coming so I will keep my eyes open.
The 52 registration has been amended to renumber it to a 26. That's all approved. The current 26 also has route and timetable amendments. (that will be one hell of a route, 3h end to end unless there are some major changes.

Full list on bustimes.org https://bustimes.org/licences/PG0006630. There are 72 registration changes showing as of now. For full details, click the bustimes link, click into the relevant registration and it will give you the details.