• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach South West - Fleet News & Discussion

baza585

36255 and 36256 have transferred to Stagecoach South. Its a shame because 36255 was undoubtedly my favourite.
The first of many from around the group to enable Guildford expansion to replace Arriva.......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

It appears that 15899 has been involved in a rather nasty collision whilst operating yesterday's 0845 7 route.

47103 has seen service for the first time since July 28th 2021 on the E2 today.

embers25

Established Member
Fares going up 10% on Mar 13 unless bought on app. Services also being cut further in April with evening and Sunday services going hourly on many Exeter city routes, the 30 minute extra H goes completely and the only positive is 24 hrs exeter city services on friday night.

Almost every city bus now runs very late all day. The A is now decker all day, but at capacity in peak. The 57 at every 30 mins passed me bus full this evening before even the RD&E. The I and J are also often full with standing in peak and E1 and E2 cant cope at all. Not a great picture.

Fares going up 10% on Mar 13 unless bought on app. Services also being cut further in April with evening and Sunday services going hourly on many Exeter city routes, the 30 minute extra H goes completely and the only positive is 24 hrs exeter city services on friday night.

Almost every city bus now runs very late all day. The A is now decker all day, but at capacity in peak. The 57 at every 30 mins passed me bus full this evening before even the RD&E. The I and J are also often full with standing in peak and E1 and E2 cant cope at all. Not a great picture.
Most of the time there is only 2 buses working the E1/E2 out of the 4 there's supposed to be

Stagecoach South West aren't helping the customers, they are helping themselves

The worst thing is that there are no plans in place to increase the frequency.

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
I'm guessing overnight buses are paid for by someone so better for them to run those than day or evening services

Xavi

Back to the future (1970s). Deckers off the country routes and on to all the city routes at 30 minute frequency (hourly evening and weekends), if that happens I think the passengers would be content providing all services operate. Needs to happen, my elderly mother has been waiting over an hour for an E in the High Street lately. (Image below shows 1970s Pennsylvania to Exwick timetable)

1646905783810.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Back to the future (1970s). Deckers off the country routes and on to all the city routes at 30 minute frequency (hourly evening and weekends), if that happens I think the passengers would be content providing all services operate. Needs to happen, my elderly mother has been waiting over an hour for an E in the High Street lately. (Image below shows 1970s Pennsylvania to Exwick timetable)

View attachment 111241
What was the difference between the O and P?

MarkC

Citybus are cutting service Plymouth to Torpoint to once per hour? Surely an open goal for Stagecoach opportunity there. Once every 30 mins maybe?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Citybus are cutting service Plymouth to Torpoint to once per hour? Surely an open goal for Stagecoach opportunity there. Once every 30 mins maybe?
Or that there simply isn't the trade to sustain a higher frequency? Looking on Plymothian Transit for years, people have suggested Stagecoach will do this or that but there's no likelihood of a 3rd bus war!

MarkC

Or that there simply isn't the trade to sustain a higher frequency? Looking on Plymothian Transit for years, people have suggested Stagecoach will do this or that but there's no likelihood of a 3rd bus war!
I would not say a bus war but surely Stagecoach should be looking for gaps in the market , left by other operators or not? It was not too long ago Torpoint had 7 buses an hour (4 from incumbent First and 3 from predator Citybus). Citybus lose interest in routes as soon as they push the other operator out. I can not believe patronage has dropped so much only 1 bus per hour is viable now that's all.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I would not say a bus war but surely Stagecoach should be looking for gaps in the market , left by other operators or not? It was not too long ago Torpoint had 7 buses an hour (4 from incumbent First and 3 from predator Citybus). Citybus loose interest in routes as soon as they push the other operator out. I can not believe patronage has dropped so much only 1 bus per hour is viable now that's all.
The competitive frequency was never sustainable obviously. A better measure was the service pattern about 25 years ago which was half hourly. If Stagecoach did introduce a service on the half-hour opposite the Go Ahead service, then that would be a provocative act. As I said before, there's been many comments about Stagecoach doing this or that in the Plymothian Transit comments box since 2014 but I really don't think there's the trade to sustain it. These are very challenging times.

MarkC

The competitive frequency was never sustainable obviously. A better measure was the service pattern about 25 years ago which was half hourly. If Stagecoach did introduce a service on the half-hour opposite the Go Ahead service, then that would be a provocative act. As I said before, there's been many comments about Stagecoach doing this or that in the Plymothian Transit comments box since 2014 but I really don't think there's the trade to sustain it. These are very challenging times.
Yes I do totally agree that the 7 buses an hour was unsustainable . Also see your point re provocative act however I would argue that Citybus diverting their 42s into the park and ride at the George stealing customer off Stagecoach Park and ride 101 is also a provocative act

northernbelle

It would depend of course if Stagecoach had vehicles suitable for the ferry - I don't think ferry lifts are fitted as standard to vehicles although I think much of PCB's fleet does due to the sharp camber at the entrance to Milehouse depot.

Xavi

The O & P in Exeter: one was clockwise and the other anti-clockwise in Pennsylvania.

RELL6L

The position in Exeter does look very bad. Despite significant cutbacks on a number of routes Stagecoach still cannot provide the full timetable. The 57 at every 30 minutes is bad, but seems to run all journeys. The A at every 30 minutes is very bad and seems to get terribly late in the afternoon. Going off Bustimes, yesterday (Thursday 10 March) from Exeter High Street towards Alphington:
15.09 ran at 15.11
15.38 ran at 15.38
16.08 ran at 16.32
16.38 ran at 17.02
17.08 ran at 17.08
17.38 ran at 18.21
18.08 didn't run
18.38 ran at 18.37
18.55 didn't run
19.41 ran at 19.45
So two of the three buses got running so late they had to miss a trip whereas the other one was on time throughout. Gaps on 54 minutes then later 73 minutes - on a service which used to be very frequent! Wednesday was not much different. How to drive passengers away!

The E1 and E2 seem to be regularly missing journeys.

In North Devon the trunk Wave service appears to have cancelled most Barnstaple-Bideford short journeys leaving just a half hourly through service from Ilfracombe to Westward Ho! / Appledore.

Update - the website says there are to be some temporary changes starting on Monday:

Exeter
Exeter City Network – Temporary Journey Cancellations

We have made a change to the way we communicate the current disruptions to our service in Exeter. This is designed to help our customers pre plan their journeys and provide clarity on the journeys that are affected.
Below you’ll find a list of journeys we expect we’ll be unable to run. Each service has a link to the current timetable with these trips clearly shown to avoid confusion and help you plan ahead. The following changes will apply from Monday 14 March 2022 until Saturday 9 April 2022.

Monday to Friday
Service E1/E2 The E2 daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes. The E1 evening frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Service F1/F2 F1 daytime frequency reduced with one journey every 90 minutes not operating. F2 daytime frequency reduced with one journey every 90 minutes not operating.
Service H H journeys between Exeter St David’s and RD&E Hospital will not operate. The 0752 Service H2 from Exeter St David’s to Digby will not operate. The 0838 Service H2 from Digby to Exeter St David’s will not operate.
Service K Daytime frequency will reduce from three buses per hour to two buses per hour.
Service L Daytime frequency will reduce from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Service P 8 journeys in each direction during the daytime will not operate.
Service Green A small number of peak time journeys will not operate.
Service UNI Daytime frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 40 minutes.

Saturday
Service E1/E2 The E1 daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
The E2 evening frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Service F1/F2 F1 daytime frequency reduced with one journey every 90 minutes not operating.
F2 daytime frequency reduced with one journey every 90 minutes not operating.
Service J Daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Service K Daytime frequency will reduce from three buses per hour to two buses per hour.
Service L Daytime frequency will reduce from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Service Green Frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 40 minutes.
Service Red Frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 40 minutes.

Sunday
Service A Daytime frequency reduced from three buses per hour to two buses per hour.
Service E1/E2 The E2 daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Three evening journeys on Service E1 will not operate.
Service RED Frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 40 minutes.

One thing that surprises me is that the 1/1A/1C to Cullompton (and some to Tiverton) still seems to run every 15 minutes without many cancellations - would seem to be a candidate to cut from 4 bph to 3 at least.

The position in Exeter does look very bad. Despite significant cutbacks on a number of routes Stagecoach still cannot provide the full timetable. The 57 at every 30 minutes is bad, but seems to run all journeys. The A at every 30 minutes is very bad and seems to get terribly late in the afternoon. Going off Bustimes, yesterday (Thursday 10 March) from Exeter High Street towards Alphington:
15.09 ran at 15.11
15.38 ran at 15.38
16.08 ran at 16.32
16.38 ran at 17.02
17.08 ran at 17.08
17.38 ran at 18.21
18.08 didn't run
18.38 ran at 18.37
18.55 didn't run
19.41 ran at 19.45
So two of the three buses got running so late they had to miss a trip whereas the other one was on time throughout. Gaps on 54 minutes then later 73 minutes - on a service which used to be very frequent! Wednesday was not much different. How to drive passengers away!

The E1 and E2 seem to be regularly missing journeys.

In North Devon the trunk Wave service appears to have cancelled most Barnstaple-Bideford short journeys leaving just a half hourly through service from Ilfracombe to Westward Ho! / Appledore.

Update - the website says there are to be some temporary changes starting on Monday:

Exeter
Exeter City Network – Temporary Journey Cancellations

We have made a change to the way we communicate the current disruptions to our service in Exeter. This is designed to help our customers pre plan their journeys and provide clarity on the journeys that are affected.
Below you’ll find a list of journeys we expect we’ll be unable to run. Each service has a link to the current timetable with these trips clearly shown to avoid confusion and help you plan ahead. The following changes will apply from Monday 14 March 2022 until Saturday 9 April 2022.

Monday to Friday
Service E1/E2 The E2 daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes. The E1 evening frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Service F1/F2 F1 daytime frequency reduced with one journey every 90 minutes not operating. F2 daytime frequency reduced with one journey every 90 minutes not operating.
Service H H journeys between Exeter St David’s and RD&E Hospital will not operate. The 0752 Service H2 from Exeter St David’s to Digby will not operate. The 0838 Service H2 from Digby to Exeter St David’s will not operate.
Service Green A small number of peak time journeys will not operate.
Service UNI Daytime frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 40 minutes.

Saturday
Service E1/E2 The E1 daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
The E2 evening frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Service F1/F2 F1 daytime frequency reduced with one journey every 90 minutes not operating.
F2 daytime frequency reduced with one journey every 90 minutes not operating.
Service J Daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Service Green Frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 40 minutes.
Service Red Frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 40 minutes.

Sunday
Service A Daytime frequency reduced from three buses per hour to two buses per hour.
Service E1/E2 The E2 daytime frequency reduced from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes.
Three evening journeys on Service E1 will not operate.
Service RED Frequency reduced from every 20 minutes to every 40 minutes.

One thing that surprises me is that the 1/1A/1C to Cullompton (and some to Tiverton) still seems to run every 15 minutes without many cancellations - would seem to be a candidate to cut from 4 bph to 3 at least.
These should go back by 9th April right?

RELL6L

These should go back by 9th April right?
That's what it says - so perhaps they have recruitment in progress which will improve things by that date. Or perhaps there will be continued or further cuts.

Apparently, the A, E and F routes will interwork in the evenings starting from 10th April. I cen see how the E and F routes will interwork but I don't understand how the A will because it starts and ends nowhere near the others.

embers25

Established Member
Apparently, the A, E and F routes will interwork in the evenings starting from 10th April. I cen see how the E and F routes will interwork but I don't understand how the A will because it starts and ends nowhere near the others.
The A is split in one direction in town do change routes. Guess it means minibuses on the A instead of deckers sigh

Peter Philips

I also see the evening T to Topsham is completely withdrawn from 10 April (leaving just the odd daytime service) whilst the H is halved during the day on weekdays between St Davids & RD&E via the City Centre as the shorts are all withdrawn leaving just the half-hourly H1 & H2.

Last edited:

RELL6L

The Stagecoach website shows a number of changes from 10 April. Reading the list these seem quite positive - while there are some frequency cuts there are a number of summer increases - eg Torbay 12 back to every 10 minutes, 122 and 222 reintroduced, 95 reintroduced for Exmouth, increases in the North Devon 21/A to Westward Ho! and Appledore, and the open top 21C to Croyde Bay and Georgeham. The 92 (Dartmouth to Totnes) is not being withdrawn - I had seen speculation elsewhere that it was. The 271 to Widecombe in the Moor returns as last year. Some cuts on Exeter city services but others are not mentioned so it isn't clear if the temporary changes above are staying or reversed, but night service being added on Friday & Saturday nights. Timetables are not yet available. Looks like there may be a variation in the balance of the operation of the Gold service between Torquay and Plymouth.

Timetable changes April 10th 2022

We are making changes to some of the timetables across our network from Sunday 10th April 2022. In response to changes in passenger demand following the pandemic we have reviewed our timetables to maintain our most popular connections and provide a service that meets the changing needs of the communities we serve. Our new timetables have been designed to ensure that popular corridors across our network maintain good combined frequencies with plenty of buses to keep our customers connected to places of work or days and evenings out.

In Exeter new night bus services will be introduced in partnership with Devon County Council on Friday and Saturday nights operating hourly from midnight until 4am.

Our popular open top buses will also be launched for the summer season providing daily tours of the stunning scenery and attractions across Devon.

Please keep an eye on our disruptions page in the run up to our new timetables coming into force. We have pulled together a simpler way to view journeys that are still experiencing some disruption to make it much easier for you to plan your trip.

Below is a brief summary of the changes, timetables will be available for download very soon.

In Exeter City Centre

A (Alphington - Thornpark Rise via City Centre)

To improve operational efficiency, there are changes to the daily evening timetable. On Sundays and Public Holidays the daytime frequency will be every 30 minutes, which is designed to better match passenger demand and to reflect frequency on other days of operation.
Working in partnership with Devon County Council, a new night bus service will be introduced on Friday and Saturday nights operating hourly from midnight until 4am.

B (Exeter - Exminster)
Monday to Saturday early evening journeys between the Bus Station and Matford Park and Ride will be replaced by a hourly frequency between the Bus Station and Exminster, providing a combined 30 minute frequency with Service 2. 0629 Monday to Friday journey from Bus Station and 0653 Monday to Friday (Service 2B) journey from Matford Park and Ride will be merged into one through journey. Sunday and Public Holiday journeys between Bus Station and Matford Park and Ride to be withdrawn due to low passenger demand, however, there will continue to be journeys between Bus Station and Exminster every 60 minutes.

E1/E2 (City Centre – Exwick)
Monday to Sunday evening journeys after 1900 will operate hourly on each service, providing a combined 30 minute frequency, with Sunday daytime journey also operating hourly.
Daily evening journeys will terminate at High Street, as opposed to Odeon, however, passengers can remain on the vehicle, which will continue to Sidwell Street as Service A.
Working in partnership with Devon County Council, a new night bus service will be introduced on Friday and Saturday nights operating hourly from midnight until 4am, with buses operating via the RD&E Hospital.

F1/F2 (City Centre – Beacon Heath)
Monday to Sunday evening journeys after 1900 will operate hourly on each service, providing a combined 30 minute frequency, with Sunday daytime journey also operating hourly.
Sunday early morning journeys before 1000 will no longer serve Union Road on Service F2 and daily and evening journeys will terminate at Odeon, as opposed to Sidwell Street, however, passengers can remain on the vehicle, which will continue to Sidwell Street as Service E1/E2.

H/H1/H2 (West Garth Road / Exeter St David’s – RD&E Hospital)
Monday to Friday Service H journeys between Exeter St David’s and RD&E Hospital will be withdrawn to improve route performance and reflect passenger demand, however, Services H1/H2 will continue to provide a combined 30 minute frequency, with other services also serving RD&E Hospital and Barrack Road.
Monday to Friday morning peak journeys are re-timed in some cases to improve reliability and punctuality.

I/J (City Centre – Digby)
Monday to Sunday evening short journeys between Whipton and City Centre will be withdrawn, with a 60 minute frequency along the entire route continuing.
Sunday and Public Holiday daytime frequency will be every 60 minutes.
Working in partnership with Devon County Council, a new night bus service will be introduced on Friday and Saturday nights operating hourly from midnight until 4am.

L (City Centre – Pinhoe)
Monday to Saturday evening frequency after 1900 will be every 60 minutes.
Sunday and Public Holiday daytime frequency will be every 60 minutes, with journeys between Pinhoe and South Street in the City Centre withdrawn.

K (City Centre – Whipton – Science Park)
Monday to Saturday frequency will be every 30 minutes to better reflect demand for the service.

T (City Centre – Topsham Quay)
Monday to Sunday evening journeys will be withdrawn, however Services I/J or 57 will provide an alternative for the majority of passengers.

Service X (Whipton – Honiton Road Park & Ride)
Sunday and Public Holiday journeys are withdrawn due to low passenger demand.

Service Y (Alphington – Matford Park & Ride via Exwick and City Centre)
Monday to Friday and Saturday journeys will start at Broadway, as opposed to Alphington due to low passenger demand.

Z (Exminster – Matford Park & Ride via Honiton Road Park & Ride)

Red (City Centre – Honiton Road Park & Ride)
Sunday and Public Holiday frequency will be every 30 minutes.

Longer Distance Routes

2 (Exeter – Newton Abbot via Dawlish)

Minor changes to the timetable on all days of operation designed to improve reliability and punctuality of buses.
Sunday and Public Holiday short journeys between Exeter and Dawlish will be withdrawn, with an hourly frequency between Exeter and Newton Abbot via Dawlish still offered. Services B and 2 will provide a combined 30 minute frequency between Exeter and Exminster.

6/6A (Exeter – Bude via Okehampton)
Service 6 1100 Monday to Friday and Saturday journey from Bude is re-timed to improve punctuality.
Service 6A 0603 Monday to Friday journey from Bude to Okehampton is brought forward to 0558 to allow additional running time and to improve connections.

9/9A (Exeter – Honiton / Lyme Regis via Sidmouth)
Due to reducing passenger demand and to improve reliability and punctuality, Service 9/9A will no longer serve Greendale Vaccination Centre.
A small number of early evening departures from Exeter are withdrawn due to low passenger demand and close proximity to alternative departures.

39 (Exeter – Newton Abbot via Bovey Tracey)
1950 Monday to Friday and 0015 Monday to Saturday journeys from Newton Abbot to Exeter and the 2305 Monday to Saturday journey from Exeter to Newton Abbot are withdrawn due to low passenger demand.

271 (Bovey Tracey – Widecombe)
The Saturday timetable will resume on Saturday 28 May 2022 and will operate until Saturday 29 October 2022.
The Monday to Friday timetable will resume on Monday 25 July 2022 and will operate until Friday 2 September 2022.

In North Devon

19 (North Devon District Hospital to Roundswell via Town Centre)

Monday to Friday and Saturday timetables are revised slightly to improve reliability and punctuality.

21 (Ilfracombe to Westward Ho! via Barnstaple and Bideford)
Monday to Friday and Saturday daytime frequency between Ilfracombe and Westwood Ho! is increased from every 60 minutes to every 30 minutes to provide additional capacity over the summer season.

21A (Braunton to Appledore via Barnstaple and Bideford)
Monday to Friday and Saturday daytime frequency between Appledore to Barnstaple is increased from every 60 minutes to every 30 minutes to provide additional capacity over the summer season.

75/ A/ B (Barnstaple or Londonderry Farm to Great Torrington via Bideford)
Minor timetable changes to improve reliability and punctuality.

319 (Barnstaple to Hartland / Bude via Bideford, Ford, Woolsery and Clovelly)
Minor timetable changes to improve reliability and punctuality.

921 (Pilton Community Colleges)
Minor timetable change to the Service 921 PM journey to provide additional running time between Pilton Community College and Railway Station.

In Plymouth

1 (Plymouth to Tavistock via Derriford)

The Monday to Friday 0804 (schooldays only) from Woolwell Roundabout will now start from Tavistock at 0725 to ensure a better arrival time for Plymouth High School.
Two new departures, a 2200 from Tavistock and a 2300 from Plymouth will be introduced Monday to Saturday following feedback from our customers.

91 (Dartmouth Park and Ride)
Service will resume for the summer season.

92 (Dartmouth to Totnes)
Minor timetable changes.

101 (City Centre to George Junction Park and Ride)
Monday to Saturday daytime frequency will be every 20 minutes, which reflects current reduced demand.

GOLD (Plymouth to Torquay via Totnes and Paignton)
Changes to the timetable on each day of operation at the start and end of the day. There is no change to the frequency of the service.

X38 (Plymouth to Exeter via Buckfastleigh)
1820 Monday to Saturday journey from Exeter to South Brent will be extended through to Plymouth.
1922 Monday to Saturday journey from South Brent to Exeter will be withdrawn due to low passenger demand.
There will be no changes to Sunday and Public Holiday timetable.

In Torquay

12 (Newton Abbot – Brixham via Torquay and Paignton)

Timing changes to ensure a reliable and punctual service is operated and frequency better matches passenger demand over the summer season. The Monday to Saturday daytime frequency will be increased from every 12 minutes to every 10 minutes.

35A/35C (Torquay – The Willows via Torbay Hospital)
The Monday to Saturday daytime frequency on each service will be every 30 minutes, which will provide a combined 15 minute frequency.
Daily evening trips after 1900 will better reflect passenger demand, operating every 60 minutes, which will provide a combined 30 minute frequency.

110 (Torquay – Totnes)
Slight amendment to the morning journey to terminate at King Edward VI School.

Open Top Buses

21C (Georgeham to Barnstaple via Braunton)

Timetable re-designed to provide additional frequency and capacity over the summer season, with a 60 minute frequency between Georgeham and Barnstaple and 60 minute frequency between Croyde Bay and Barnstaple.
This change will provide a combined 30 minute frequency between Croyde Bay and Barnstaple.

95 (Exmouth – Sandy Bay)
Service re-instated for the summer season, operating every 30 minutes daily between approximately 0800 and 2200 and hourly after 1700.

122 (Babbacombe – Devon Bay via Torquay and Paignton)
Service 122 will resume for the summer season, operating daily every 30 minutes between approximately 0900 and 1800.

222 (Dawlish Warren – Teignmouth)
Service re-instated for the summer season, operating every 60 minutes daily between approximately 0900 and 1700.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stagecoach website shows a number of changes from 10 April. Reading the list these seem quite positive - while there are some frequency cuts there are a number of summer increases - eg Torbay 12 back to every 10 minutes, 122 and 222 reintroduced, 95 reintroduced for Exmouth, increases in the North Devon 21/A to Westward Ho! and Appledore, and the open top 21C to Croyde Bay and Georgeham. The 92 (Dartmouth to Totnes) is not being withdrawn - I had seen speculation elsewhere that it was. The 271 to Widecombe in the Moor returns as last year. Some cuts on Exeter city services but others are not mentioned so it isn't clear if the temporary changes above are staying or reversed, but night service being added on Friday & Saturday nights. Timetables are not yet available. Looks like there may be a variation in the balance of the operation of the Gold service between Torquay and Plymouth.

These aren't perfect but are at least a step in the right direction