• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach South West - Fleet News & Discussion

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There are a few pics on a couple of private Facebook groups (Stagecoach Enthusiasts and Stagecoach South West Enthusiasts), have to say that it looks spot on, they've done a cracking job on it.
Another example of how history and time changes perception.

At the time of Stagecoach purchasing various firms, there were numerous instances of enthusiasts bemoaning the loss of particular liveries and individual identities. Now Stagecoach stripes are almost treated reverentially.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Another example of how history and time changes perception.

At the time of Stagecoach purchasing various firms, there were numerous instances of enthusiasts bemoaning the loss of particular liveries and individual identities. Now Stagecoach stripes are almost treated reverentially.
Steady on! I wouldn't go so far as to say that I revere the stripes but, in these days of flowing lines and swoops, it is somewhat refreshing to see a fresh application that looks sharp - literally!

It certainly looks good in the picture, but give it a few days of road grime...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Steady on! I wouldn't go so far as to say that I revere the stripes but, in these days of flowing lines and swoops, it is somewhat refreshing to see a fresh application that looks sharp - literally!

It looks ok (from what we've seen) as does the Fife (?) example recently treated.

However, it is one of the constants of enthusiasts. Liveries and vehicle types that were once pilloried are re-evaluated. I mean, who'd have been preserving van derived minibuses and yet.... they are because for different generations, it is evokes an element of the past that is either pertinent to them (their childhood?) or represents something that they've only seen in books.

greatvoyager

Established Member

Also one difference to other forms of nostalgic liveries I’d that Enviro400s never wore this, so it’s interesting to see what it would’ve looked like had Stagecoach retained the stripes. I think it suits the bus well.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
It looks ok (from what we've seen) as does the Fife (?) example recently treated.

However, it is one of the constants of enthusiasts. Liveries and vehicle types that were once pilloried are re-evaluated. I mean, who'd have been preserving van derived minibuses and yet.... they are because for different generations, it is evokes an element of the past that is either pertinent to them (their childhood?) or represents something that they've only seen in books
I think you've probably hit the nail on the head there. When you chat to vehicle owners, it is very common to hear that the attachment to their vehicle stems from them travelling to school on it, or other earlier periods in their life. I guess looking back at the past in even general life usually makes you think of simpler times where life was a bit more carefree, so a certain desire to try and want to relive/revive some of that nostalgia? I guess in a similar vein you had a generations that didn't like diesel locos or multiple units replacing steam trains, then a couple of decades later some of those same people grieving those very locos/early units being replaced by "plastic".

Is the Scottish example you refer to the Plaxton coach, or have they done something else up to join it?

Also one difference to other forms of nostalgic liveries I’d that Enviro400s never wore this, so it’s interesting to see what it would’ve looked like had Stagecoach retained the stripes. I think it suits the bus well.
Most nostalgic liveries applied to in-service vehicles have never been worn by the vehicles carrying them.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I think you've probably hit the nail on the head there. When you chat to vehicle owners, it is very common to hear that the attachment to their vehicle stems from them travelling to school on it, or other earlier periods in their life. I guess looking back at the past in even general life usually makes you think of simpler times where life was a bit more carefree, so a certain desire to try and want to relive/revive some of that nostalgia? I guess in a similar vein you had a generations that didn't like diesel locos or multiple units replacing steam trains, then a couple of decades later some of those same people grieving those very locos/early units being replaced by "plastic".

Is the Scottish example you refer to the Plaxton coach, or have they done something else up to join it?

Most nostalgic liveries applied to in-service vehicles have never been worn by the vehicles carrying them.
That's the one!

I think that it's a nostalgia harking back to a simpler time. Also, for some younger enthusiasts (not wishing to sound patronising) but it's also a chance to see something that they've only seen in photos or at rallies on a preserved vehicle. That Stagecoach stripes have been rehabilitated is quite interesting when you consider the outcry when it replaced things like Busways Cadmium yellow or Southdown green

The harking back of old liveries is really for the enthusiast fraternity, of which many in bus management are. I suspect it has minimal impact on the average punter; the Westcliff On Sea liveries in First Essex are a prime example/ How many people are familiar with a firm that disappeared in the 1950s? but could also say the same for others that have gone since the 1960s/1970s. That's why the new First Doncaster livery is quite clever; a nod to enthusiasts but it's a modern livery as well.

padbus

Likely due to the exwick routes being unable to cope with reduced frequency, reduced capacity and solos.
I thought that the Exwick routes were restricted to the Solos because of the narrow roads and parked cars.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I thought that the Exwick routes were restricted to the Solos because of the narrow roads and parked cars.
I think that’s on the Lancelot Road side, which now sees the F1/F2 bus. Exwick isn’t as much of a problem.

carlberry

Established Member
Whilst the repainting of one vehicle in old strips might be a nice move the other recent development appears very negative with the news that the Falcon name is being dropped:

https://fleetreport.co.uk/latest-news/8th-march-2021
Meanwhile Falcon fleet Volvo B11R 54319 has been repainted into Stagecoach ‘Distance’ livery. This confirms that the ‘Falcon’ (Bristol to Plymouth) branding is to unfortunately (but understandably) be dropped.
I'm not aware that people generally refer to it as the Stagecoach service, it's always the Falcon and it currently stands out when you see it whereas, in future, it'll just look like a school bus!

cnjb8

Established Member
Whilst the repainting of one vehicle in old strips might be a nice move the other recent development appears very negative with the news that the Falcon name is being dropped:

I'm not aware that people generally refer to it as the Stagecoach service, it's always the Falcon and it currently stands out when you see it whereas, in future, it'll just look like a school bus!
It still has branding for Plymouth to Bristol every hour, but with no reference to Falcon

greatvoyager

Established Member
Not sure if it’s been stated but 35164 also now in stripes livery. Photo on Facebook so sadly unable to share.

padbus

It does seem an odd move as we now have yellow buses on the Torquay-Plymouth service, which is part of the local bus network, and on the Falcon, which is not part of it. The Falcon has its own terms and conditions, eg ENCTS passes are not accepted.

greatvoyager

Established Member
It does seem an odd move as we now have yellow buses on the Torquay-Plymouth service, which is part of the local bus network, and on the Falcon, which is not part of it. The Falcon has its own terms and conditions, eg ENCTS passes are not accepted.
Is yellow the long distance livery, or is meant to just replace gold livery?

fgwrich

Established Member

19001 Certainly does look rather smart in the Stripy livery, although the zig zag part does look a little thin? to me. Our local VRs had that part painted quite chunkily if I remember correctly.

As for the Falcon, it's a shame to see that brand disappear too. It's almost somewhat ironic that, after many years of sweeping away local brand and names, First Group are now turning in the opposite direction, while stagecoach, who has kept local names and route branding adapted around Beachball, is sweeping it all away.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I think that’s on the Lancelot Road side, which now sees the F1/F2 bus. Exwick isn’t as much of a problem.
You can get an e200 round no problem on all of the E and F routes, as I’ve done it myself :D

embers25

Established Member
In the morning several deckers go round the whole E route on school services.

embers25

Established Member
Timetables from 04 April finally were uploaded to the Stagecoach site this morning 4 days late. Their social media team have confirmed to me that they will no longer be producing their own timetables online and will instead display only Traveline ones on their website. Wonder if this will become the Stagecoach corporate norm. I for one like the Stagecoach format much more than Traveline and so see this as a retrograde step. It'll be interesting to see what has appeared on all the bus stops since the change however as surely they aren't using Traveline versions there too? The 7 and X7 are now in different timetables and also shown with out and return in the same timetbale which is truly awful.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Timetables from 04 April finally were uploaded to the Stagecoach site this morning 4 days late. Their social media team have confirmed to me that they will no longer be producing their own timetables online and will instead display only Traveline ones on their website. Wonder if this will become the Stagecoach corporate norm. I for one like the Stagecoach format much more than Traveline and so see this as a retrograde step. It'll be interesting to see what has appeared on all the bus stops since the change however as surely they aren't using Traveline versions there too? The 7 and X7 are now in different timetables and also shown with out and return in the same timetbale which is truly awful.
Seems a shame, Stagecoach timetables are much easier to read than others, I find.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Any news or publicity yet about the proposed open top service around North Devon area (Barnstaple/Braunton/ Croyde)?