• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach - Swindon - Trainee Bus Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCreed

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. My better half has been offered an interview with Stagecoach for a Trainee Bus Driver position, and we have a couple of questions that I was wondering if anyone on here has the answer to?

Firstly, what is the shift pattern like? Is every week quite mixed, or are lates / earlies bunched together? During training are the hours more fixed?

Secondly, what routes do trainee / new bus drivers generally end up on? Is it a complete mix or are there specific routes?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eyersey468

Established Member
I can't comment on Stagecoach as I don't work for them but the company I work for early finishes tend to be together and later finishes tend to be together. During training hours are more fixed, our training school starts at half 8 and finishes about 4.
As to what routes it depends on the company, we used to have a separate midibus rota at our main depot that new drivers went onto while they got some experience, it was only done away with as we ended up with so little midibus work it wasn't worth having a separate rota for.
Also expect some shifts to be 12 hours long.

Edit, I've been doing the job for 11 years so if there's anything else you would like to know feel free to PM me.
Hope this helps.

lightning76

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. My better half has been offered an interview with Stagecoach for a Trainee Bus Driver position, and we have a couple of questions that I was wondering if anyone on here has the answer to?

Firstly, what is the shift pattern like? Is every week quite mixed, or are lates / earlies bunched together? During training are the hours more fixed?

Secondly, what routes do trainee / new bus drivers generally end up on? Is it a complete mix or are there specific routes?

Thanks in advance

Generally drivers do a week of approximately similar shifts, but different duties, so the precise times do vary somewhat. Training hours are more fixed AIUI, the trainers seem to congregate at the depot from about 0730.

After passing the test, new drivers will work with a mentor for a few weeks until they get the hang of things, and after that will be put on a 5-day roster covering town routes (7, 9 and 10). After a while there will be the opportunity to move to one of the many different rotas to do different routes.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I started my bus driving career with Stagecoach im Swindon and they were great to work for. Management and directors are good, were always approachable and took on board feedback, ideas and suggestions.

As the previous poster says after test and mentoring you will be put on 5 day town rota which is now 7, 9, 10. After 6 months you can progress onto Country rota (49, 51, 53, 80, 81) or gold (55 & 66).

Definitely go for it it’s a good place to work. Never had any issues as long as you do your job properly they leave you alone.

If you need any more details please feel free to message you and I will help the best I can.

LordCreed

Just wanted to say a huge thank you for the insightful replies. I've passed this all on, and she will be giving the next round of interviews a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.