• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Agree with you but was not sure where else to post it,mods can move it if they wish.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lodekkafs

Maybe of interest I noted the following 'on shed' at Stratton (Bude) and Torrington yesterday (Sun 12/04) as I did a quick flying tour of the area from my far-flung base in the Sherwood Forest:

Stratton:
15433; 15899/902
17734; 18136
35166/9/71
47104/444/585/8
Total of 12
I believe there is normally 13, so I assume that was out on service 6.

Torrington:
18076/7
35165/7/70
Total of 5

I appreciate the actual identities will keep being swapped with Barnstaple and Exeter but thought it was of interest to record 'a moment in time'.

Stephen

Rapidash

Wow, a whopping one whole E400 to Torquay! :lol: Come on, you know you want to get rid of the last Tridents, even the buggers at South Devon College don't deserve them!

mbonwick

Established Member
More likely to be Gold to allow X46 operation to fully change over, though indirectly a replacement I suppose yes.

padbus

Even more interesting is the solitary E300 27226 for South West. What is that for? Only 8 of the existing 12 MAN/E300s are in dedicated P&R livery and there seems to be little need for another bus of this size.

83G/84D

Established Member
Even more interesting is the solitary E300 27226 for South West. What is that for? Only 8 of the existing 12 MAN/E300s are in dedicated P&R livery and there seems to be little need for another bus of this size.

There is also a single Scania N230 for Torquay with the other nine at Exeter.Wonder why that is the case?

I read somewhere that the 57 (Exeter-Exmouth) was due an upgrade this year, Gold possibly for 15251-15260?

Presume the Optare Solos for Exeter are to replace the older examples on the E/F etc. Hard to believe the 04reg Solos are actually 11 years old!

Kuyoyo

Mistake on the part of the Fleetbook publishers. 27226 is bound for Glasgow along with the rest of 27211-27228.

padbus

Stagecoach SW have applied for plaaning permission for a new workshop, offices, bus wash, fuelling and chassis wash facility for the servicing, maintenance and parking of public service vehicles and a pick up and drop off of park and ride passengers. This will be at Park & Ride, Matford Park Road, Marsh Barton Trading Estate, Exeter. It will replace the existing premises in Bampfylde Street in the city centre which are described as being in generally in poor condition and requiring considerable investment to bring them into line with current day standards.

This is all part of a wider scheme to demolish the present bus station and redevelop the whole area.

Those interested in more details should seach for planning application 15/0387/03 on the Search Planning Applications page at www.exeter.gov.uk. The pdf plans are too big to post here.

Paul

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Stagecoach SW have applied for plaaning permission for a new workshop, offices, bus wash, fuelling and chassis wash facility for the servicing, maintenance and parking of public service vehicles and a pick up and drop off of park and ride passengers. This will be at Park & Ride, Matford Park Road, Marsh Barton Trading Estate, Exeter. It will replace the existing premises in Bampfylde Street in the city centre which are described as being in generally in poor condition and requiring considerable investment to bring them into line with current day standards.

This is all part of a wider scheme to demolish the present bus station and redevelop the whole area.

Those interested in more details should seach for planning application 15/0387/03 on the Search Planning Applications page at www.exeter.gov.uk. The pdf plans are too big to post here.

Paul

I'd seen that story appear. To be honest, it's been talked about for a long time, moving the depot and rebuilding the bus station. Whilst I like the bus station, it is showing its age, and it's one of the few instances of a combined bus station/depot still in existence.

It also chimes with something I've thought for a long time in that P&R sites are generally empty at night whilst depots are empty during the day. Also, P&R sites are generally on major arterial routes so why not have a maintenance and washing facility next door (or close by) and then use the P&R site as the main parking area?

LAIRA

I'd seen that story appear. To be honest, it's been talked about for a long time, moving the depot and rebuilding the bus station. Whilst I like the bus station, it is showing its age, and it's one of the few instances of a combined bus station/depot still in existence.

It also chimes with something I've thought for a long time in that P&R sites are generally empty at night whilst depots are empty during the day. Also, P&R sites are generally on major arterial routes so why not have a maintenance and washing facility next door (or close by) and then use the P&R site as the main parking area?

As is the case for most garages in Malta

Rapidash

I'm still unsure how they plan to fit most of the services into the new station, as last I checked it was significantly smaller. Unless they plan on having having some of the inter-towners stop on the high street....which would probably go down like a lead wossname.

The X46 has seemingly gone fully Gold recently, I've counted 3, going to and fro along the A380 each time I've used it in the last few weeks.

The X64 is the more sporadic one now!

baza585

Until more recently, Sunday could be an issue with much lower PVRs; fine if the P&R doesn't operate on a Sunday but could be a squeeze if it does!! As Sunday PVRs have tended to increase, less likely to be an issue.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Until more recently, Sunday could be an issue with much lower PVRs; fine if the P&R doesn't operate on a Sunday but could be a squeeze if it does!! As Sunday PVRs have tended to increase, less likely to be an issue.

That's the thing though. As Sunday trading has increased, so P&Rs have begun to be opened but as you say, so have Sunday PVRs.

Really interesting to see how much that aspect has changed over the years.

padbus

The problem with this particular P&R site is that it is used for a popular car boot sale on Sunday mornings.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm still unsure how they plan to fit most of the services into the new station, as last I checked it was significantly smaller. Unless they plan on having having some of the inter-towners stop on the high street....which would probably go down like a lead wossname.

I agree. It would not be the first time a new bus station has been underspecified - look at the problems in Northampton. Have they allowed enough space for busers on layover? Parking them at the new depot in Marsh Barton is not the answer as it could easily take half an hour each way to get there. We must hope Stagecoach are taking a very active interest in the design.

The other issue is that it is further away from the High Street shops than the present bus station but, hey, who cares about bus users?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The problem with this particular P&R site is that it is used for a popular car boot sale on Sunday mornings.

I agree. It would not be the first time a new bus station has been underspecified - look at the problems in Northampton. Have they allowed enough space for busers on layover? Parking them at the new depot in Marsh Barton is not the answer as it could easily take half an hour each way to get there. We must hope Stagecoach are taking a very active interest in the design.

The other issue is that it is further away from the High Street shops than the present bus station but, hey, who cares about bus users?

One wonders if the car boot may be relocated.

Sadly, the issue with many a new bus station is as you say. The developers provide a design with insufficient space (obviously wishing to maximise revenue from retail clients) and hence issues with overlaying vehicles etc ensue. Whilst Northampton is a total f*** up and was always going to be, there are ones closer to home (like Bath) that are also just undersized for the needs of the services.

The combined bus station and depot is now quite rare nationally. The West Country had quite a few (e.g. Bristol, Weston, Truro, Bridgwater, Ilfracombe, Minehead) and still has some with Exeter, Bridport, Camborne
Swindon getting a new Stagecoach depot

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/13318094.Soil_broken_on_new_Swindon_bus_depot/

Always thought the location at Eastcott Road was a bit odd and hemmed in with housing

mbonwick

Established Member
Are you sure it was a new one on delivery? AFAIK, the Gold part of the order doesn't start delivery until September, with vehicles for South West not due until November!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Are you sure it was a new one on delivery? AFAIK, the Gold part of the order doesn't start delivery until September, with vehicles for South West not due until November!

I was travelling at 70 mph and didn't have time to clock the fleet number so I can't be certain. However, it did look very "fresh" but I accept it may have been an existing one having been away for some sort of remedial work. Certainly, very much out of its local area

DaveHarries

Established Member
A look at the VOSA service registrations for Thursday 02nd July turned up the following for Stagecoach SouthWest, all effective 01-Sep-2015 unless stated:

Timetable changes: 5, 5A, 5B, 5C, 21 / 21A, 55, 55A, 55B, 155
Cancelled: 53 (Exeter - Colyton, wef 30th August), 910/911 (Combe Martin - Ilfracombe CC, wef 31st August)

I dunno if there are any more to come.
Dave

Rapidash

I would imagine so - doesn't the 1 have some issues soon due to all the cuts to council subsides?

Also, Exeter now has Solo SR's with wifi running around on the E and F1/2

carlberry

Established Member
Driving down the A420, saw what I thought was one of the usual Gold 66 deckers between Southmoor and Faringdon but it was actually 15841 which was at Gloucester for the 10. It's lost its route branding - an additional bus for Swindon or are there further developmenst?

I believe one of the Swindon Gold ones was swapped with one of the Gloucester Gold ones so there was a tacho example available as backup for the 'Belles Express' service. They might also be doing the 'Summer Special' services again this year which resulted in the borrowing one last year.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I believe one of the Swindon Gold ones was swapped with one of the Gloucester Gold ones so there was a tacho example available as backup for the 'Belles Express' service. They might also be doing the 'Summer Special' services again this year which resulted in the borrowing one last year.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Thought it a bit odd when I saw it at a distance "sans branding" and the saw it was a 62 plate instead of the usual 61/14 plates

I believe one of the Swindon Gold ones was swapped with one of the Gloucester Gold ones so there was a tacho example available as backup for the 'Belles Express' service

Not sure they need a decker as a back up - more appropriate traction would be a tandem. Every time I see the coach on the Belles Express it is either empty or with one passenger on! BTW - There is also the driver!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.