• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
Looks like the Altanos have lost their SG** fleet numbers - certainly the two I saw today didn't have any.

mbonwick

Established Member
10025, 15058/70/72 have so far landed for 2 weeks of rail replacement work out of Barnstaple.

carlberry

Established Member
L800 SGB now carries fleet number 52692 and C&G legals.
Without the registration has suddenly been moved the coach is nearly 25 years old (M419VYD new to Eastville, Bristol)! I wasn't expecting Stagecoach to actually use most of the more 'mature' fleet from SGCB, this must be doing wonders for their fleet age profile!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Without the registration has suddenly been moved the coach is nearly 25 years old (M419VYD new to Eastville, Bristol)! I wasn't expecting Stagecoach to actually use most of the more 'mature' fleet from SGCB, this must be doing wonders for their fleet age profile!
I'm sure it won't be a long term thing. Give it a month or two and they'll have sourced some newer coaches and iffy Tridents (though not as iffy as First).

It's quite something to see Stagecoach using 2005 Tridents on schools work and the odd 3, whilst First have 2001 ones on core routes (and not just Q busting).

Marcus Fryer

It's a Van Hool bodied Volvo, so presumably is the erstwhile M419 VYD. Doesn't look its age.

carlberry

Established Member
It's a Van Hool bodied Volvo, so presumably is the erstwhile M419 VYD. Doesn't look its age.
Details of Cheltenham and Gloucester's 'new' vehicles are now on the Steve Knight site:
https://www.stevenknightmedia.com/fleet-news-ramblings
Amazingly (as they've had two months to arrange replacements!) it includes 13 vehicles over 20 years old including the 30 year old Citybus. I suspect the majority wlll have to go before the end of next month because of the PSVAR changes.

Surreyman

Details of Cheltenham and Gloucester's 'new' vehicles are now on the Steve Knight site:
https://www.stevenknightmedia.com/fleet-news-ramblings
Amazingly (as they've had two months to arrange replacements!) it includes 13 vehicles over 20 years old including the 30 year old Citybus. I suspect the majority will have to go before the end of next month because of the PSVAR changes.
Surely the PSVAR regs (Coaches w/e from 31/12/19) won't affect vehicles used on Contracts?
It will be interesting to see how Merc minibuses currently classified as 'Coaches' and used on Stage Carriage work fare, I assume they will have to stop running on bus routes.
As far as Stagecoach/South Gloucestershire are concerned, as said before, the older vehicle could be replaced by cascades from within Stagecoach But Stagecoach might actually be happy to lose Contract work when they come up for renewal/retender.
With the London LEZ next October and the Bristol CAZ looming, SC may need to invest in some new Euro 6 vehicles for both Bristol bus routes and Megabus.

carlberry

Established Member
Surely the PSVAR regs (Coaches w/e from 31/12/19) won't affect vehicles used on Contracts?
It will be interesting to see how Merc minibuses currently classified as 'Coaches' and used on Stage Carriage work fare, I assume they will have to stop running on bus routes.
As far as Stagecoach/South Gloucestershire are concerned, as said before, the older vehicle could be replaced by cascades from within Stagecoach But Stagecoach might actually be happy to lose Contract work when they come up for renewal/retender.
With the London LEZ next October and the Bristol CAZ looming, SC may need to invest in some new Euro 6 vehicles for both Bristol bus routes and Megabus.
The contracts wont be effected, however I imagine that Stagecoach wont want the bother of segregating them given the newer vehicles available in the group. There were a couple of 04 Tridents in the 'out of use' area at Gloucester over the weekend for instance (in past years C&G would just have not given back some of the loan vehicles for last weekend's Cheltenham races!!).
The CAZ might effect some of the 462 journeys if the school journeys it's connected to are out of the CAZ area.
By my reckoning this now makes North Bristol Cheltenham and Gloucester's biggest depot.

mbonwick

Established Member
Amazingly (as they've had two months to arrange replacements!) it includes 13 vehicles over 20 years old including the 30 year old Citybus.

Not sure what point you're trying to make, yesterday was day 1 of SGBC being Stagecoach owned, and as the purchase included all assets, the entire SGBC fleet has been given fleetnumbers.
The SGBC vehicles won't last long, but they were part of the deal.

carlberry

Established Member
Not sure what point you're trying to make, yesterday was day 1 of SGBC being Stagecoach owned, and as the purchase included all assets, the entire SGBC fleet has been given fleetnumbers.
In other instances of takeovers (Plymouth or Chester for example) Stagecoach usually has new(er) vehicles out from day 1. It's rare that a takeover (with the amount of notice there's been and all the positive spin that Stagecoach was issuing a couple of months ago ) results in so little change especially given the small size of the fleet. 30 Year old coaches on commuter services isnt a 'a really exciting development for passengers in the West of England' to quote the MD.

mbonwick

Established Member
No fleet was acquired with Plymouth.
All of the vehicles that came with Chester gained Stagecoach numbers. Not a good example to quote as Chester had to be a 1-for-1 swap on takeover day due to there being no spare space in the old depot to store vehicles.

Wigan would be a better example where the worst of the fleet were binned on day 1, but decent numbers of older vehicles lasted a good few months still.

Also bear in mind that most of the SGBC fleet is used on (low-margin) contract work (indeed their accounts for last year state that Megabus work is all that has kept them solvent), so there's hardly any incentive to make any huge changes on day 1.

EDIT: Also good luck trying to find spare coaches around the Stagecoach empire, there's not many at the moment....

richw

Veteran Member

Barring megabus SGBC doesn’t fit within a typical stagecoach ops. My theory is it was for the depot and not a lot else

No fleet was acquired with Plymouth.

although they hired some tridents and B7s from first for a period of time

TheWalrus

Established Member
Anyone know if the new Enviro200MMCs for Cheltenham depot will displace any vehicles and where they will go?

TheWalrus

Established Member
Quite. Last year, had two back to back from Cirencester to Swindon and then to Wroughton. First one (ex NEast) was an absolute nail but the next one (exWales) was a decent machine.
Do you remember fleet numbers? Was it 34665 the ex-Wales one? That’s a good bus for a 54 plate!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Do you remember fleet numbers? Was it 34665 the ex-Wales one? That’s a good bus for a 54 plate!

Just checked #964 where I shared the details of the journey. The bad one was 34563 - lucky to still have my fillings, whilst the good one was... 34665 <:D For a hard worked 14 year old machine (in 2018), it was in very good shape.

TheWalrus

Established Member
Just checked #964 where I shared the details of the journey. The bad one was 34563 - lucky to still have my fillings, whilst the good one was... 34665 <:D For a hard worked 14 year old machine (in 2018), it was in very good shape.
I brought 665 from Cwmbrân two years ago ☺️ Still a good bus today! Pictured here on the 54 in Royal Wootton Bassett.

Attachments

• 9A6FDA73-24E7-457E-B8F7-5D94D892C345.jpeg
    9A6FDA73-24E7-457E-B8F7-5D94D892C345.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39

-Colly405-

For those interested, it seems as though the yellow deckers inherited by North Bristol depot with the purchase of SGBC are likely to be around until the end of this school term, and then replaced by "newer models with CCTV" in January.

Source: one of the schools served by these vehicles, following discussions with Stagecoach.

robk23oxf

Of the E200s displaced from Cheltenham, 36260 is now at Stroud and 36388/390 are at Gloucester.

mbonwick

Established Member
I suspect the cascades will be a little more nuanced than simply E200s replacing Darts.
When you take a look a the respective depot fleets, they don't necessarily match the PVRs particularly well.

For an uneducated starter I wouldn't be surprised to see Gloucester taking 4 E200s to get their MAN E300s off fleet (or cascaded to Bristol - lets not forget that there is now the added complication of SGBC as well).

carlberry

Established Member
I suspect the cascades will be a little more nuanced than simply E200s replacing Darts.
When you take a look a the respective depot fleets, they don't necessarily match the PVRs particularly well.

For an uneducated starter I wouldn't be surprised to see Gloucester taking 4 E200s to get their MAN E300s off fleet (or cascaded to Bristol - lets not forget that there is now the added complication of SGBC as well).
I suspect SGBC is very complicated! If some of the contracts need seat belts or specify coaches then the choice will be limited and there's the belief that they're fairly low value anyway so might need renegotiating.

Status
Not open for further replies.