• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWalrus

Established Member
The main problem with withdrawal is lack of a Chepstow link.
How many go from Chepstow to Bristol? There’s always the train changing at Newport/STJ. There was talk of a train from Bristol to Chepstow some years ago, reversing at STJ but it would have had to cross all the lines.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheWalrus

Established Member
Both these are spot on. Where express buses/coaches succeed is where they can minimise the point to point time difference. That's usually the actual distance isn't that far and is usually helped by non centrally located rail stations. For this, see Bristol to Bath, York to Leeds or Swansea to Cardiff. Also, because of the distance, the price differential isn't generally so great in actual terms (rather than as a percentage).

For long distance travel, the time differential is magnified but so is the price differential so for those on a budget, it explains with NX or Megabus still works. Note that in the last 20 years, the rail companies have been more aggressive in pricing in filling up empty seats so there are noticeably fewer coach routes as even the price difference has narrowed.

You can add plenty of examples where an invigorated rail has killed off or seriously depleted bus/coach services viz Bathgate to Edinburgh, Southend to London, Galashiels to Edinburgh.

The removal of bridge tolls saw road traffic across the bridges increase by 10% in the first few months; how many of people who used to do an unofficial park and ride in Chepstow or Magor and save the toll now just continue their drive.... It's a service whose lifecycle may just have come to an end.
Many of the bus routes in Devon are poorly used by fare payers where they run parallel with a rail route. During the day, look at 2 Exeter-Newton Abbot, 57 Exeter-Exmouth. It’s 90% concessions.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The removal of bridge tolls saw road traffic across the bridges increase by 10% in the first few months; how many of people who used to do an unofficial park and ride in Chepstow or Magor and save the toll now just continue their drive.... It's a service whose lifecycle may just have come to an end.
Good point but, having never had the opportunity to try it out, which was cheaper? A return from Chepstow to Bristol or the fuel for the drive there and back? A pity though.

Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Dai Corner

Established Member
I don't know what it's like now but people used to park up in the long laybys approaching the bridge off the A466 https://www.google.com/maps/@51.624...rpWREG1w!2e0!5s20110601T000000!7i13312!8i6656

I'd always assumed those cars belonged to car sharers rather than bus passengers. It's about a mile to walk from even the northernmost lay-by to the nearest bus stop in Newport Road.

As for comparative costs, parking in central Bristol for the day would be more than the fare for a lone traveller. Over 60s can use their Welsh concessionary passes. Under 60s on a First WoE Day ticket could use that so the SEV leg was effectively free.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I'd always assumed those cars belonged to car sharers rather than bus passengers. It's about a mile to walk from even the northernmost lay-by to the nearest bus stop in Newport Road.

As for comparative costs, parking in central Bristol for the day would be more than the fare for a lone traveller. Over 60s can use their Welsh concessionary passes. Under 60s on a First WoE Day ticket could use that so the SEV leg was effectively free.

There will be have been car sharers as well but it's about a 10 min walk to the bus stop.

I was more surprised when they removed Cribbs from the off peak route but guess that's not the draw it was.

carlberry

Established Member
There will be have been car sharers as well but it's about a 10 min walk to the bus stop.

I was more surprised when they removed Cribbs from the off peak route but guess that's not the draw it was.
I've always thought that dropping Cribbs was more about making the service reliable (given the limited revenue from concessionary passes anyway). It removed one of the worse bits of the M5 from the route and gave some recovery time; they appear to be much more enthusiastic about closing the old bridge nowadays.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I've always thought that dropping Cribbs was more about making the service reliable (given the limited revenue from concessionary passes anyway). It removed one of the worse bits of the M5 from the route and gave some recovery time; they appear to be much more enthusiastic about closing the old bridge nowadays.

I'm sure you're right but obviously, that will have depressed revenue. Perhaps a circle that can't be squared.

Dai Corner

Established Member

I'm sure you're right but obviously, that will have depressed revenue. Perhaps a circle that can't be squared.

Cribbs is a useful interchange point for several parts of Bristol and South Gloucestershire but has not been promoted as such. Perhaps only people like us making journeys mainly to explore the network and try different types of vehicle care about such things?!

freetoview33

Established Member
Cribbs is a useful interchange point for several parts of Bristol and South Gloucestershire but has not been promoted as such. Perhaps only people like us making journeys mainly to explore the network and try different types of vehicle care about such things?!
Thing that makes it harder is you have Cribbs, Parkway and U.W.E all close together and all hubs of sorts. There isn't demand for all 3. It's a hard one to get right

-Colly405-

So, following on from the notification of the withdrawal of the X14 and SEV from 14th June, Stagecoach are pulling out of the X5 too, from close of service Saturday 13th June. Noted on yesterday's VOSA changes (or whatever it is now called), and today on Stagecoach website.

The Service Changes cover page says for the X14/SEV "this service will no longer be running ", but for the X5 it says " we'll no longer be running the X5 service". Now this might just be inconsistent wording, or could it imply that someone else is taking over the X5?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
So, following on from the notification of the withdrawal of the X14 and SEV from 14th June, Stagecoach are pulling out of the X5 too, from close of service Saturday 13th June. Noted on yesterday's VOSA changes (or whatever it is now called), and today on Stagecoach website.

The Service Changes cover page says for the X14/SEV "this service will no longer be running ", but for the X5 it says " we'll no longer be running the X5 service". Now this might just be inconsistent wording, or could it imply that someone else is taking over the X5?

Interesting news.

Dai Corner

Established Member

Possibly North Somerset Council will tender it as it links the three biggest towns in their area and students use it to get to Weston College?

Dr Day

Forgive my ignorance on bus matters, but presumably there is a fairly fixed level of funding councils have in any financial year to support bus services. Now many previously 'commercial' services are no longer so, is there a mechanic for councils to divert funding to support them, to the detriment of other, previously funded services? No service cuts are popular or desirable, but overall is enabling a (possibly peak-only) commuter service to continue and reducing the frequency of 'around towns and villages' services a better use of scarce funds for social, economic and environmental reasons?

And for multi-council/cross-border services such as the SEV what is the likelihood of local/national government co-ordination?

I note a 'Save the Severn Express' facebook group has appeared.

carlberry

Established Member
Forgive my ignorance on bus matters, but presumably there is a fairly fixed level of funding councils have in any financial year to support bus services. Now many previously 'commercial' services are no longer so, is there a mechanic for councils to divert funding to support them, to the detriment of other, previously funded services? No service cuts are popular or desirable, but overall is enabling a (possibly peak-only) commuter service to continue and reducing the frequency of 'around towns and villages' services a better use of scarce funds for social, economic and environmental reasons?

And for multi-council/cross-border services such as the SEV what is the likelihood of local/national government co-ordination?

I note a 'Save the Severn Express' facebook group has appeared.
Most councils have a fixed budget for funded services which has been reduced over the years. A lot of councils now have no budget at all for supported services, and it's likely that more and more will be in that position in future. The problem for SEV is does Wales/Monmouthshire want to put money into a service that takes people out of the area to work/spend?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
That’s quite a few tbf, what are they allocated? Will Weston College journeys be retained in some form?

The X5 has a mix of e300 and e400 for the four all day journeys. When it was First, they had e400s but two boards are lighter so could be operated by B7RLEs and I guess that's the same approach with Stagecoach.

The college journeys are operated by a Trident IIRC.

There will be some head scratching at North Somerset Council on this one

Dai Corner

Established Member
Article in the South Wales Argus

ANGER has been voiced over a decision to axe a ‘vital’ bus service between Newport, Chepstow and Bristol.

Stagecoach West has said it will no longer be running the Severn Express or X14 from Sunday, June 14, due to the service making a loss of more than £5,000 a week.

It took on the service from First West of England in September, which said changes including the removal of the Severn Bridge tolls had made it challenging to run.
But commuter Steve Knott, who has used the service for more than 10 years, blamed “a marked decline in the reliability of the service” since Stagecoach took over for a loss of passengers.
Mr Knott, from Chepstow, said withdrawing the service was “a terrible decision.”

“Cancelling these services will certainly have a negative impact for many people, for the economy and for the environment as it will force those people who are able to, to use their cars,” he said.
“This service should be seen as a vital link for people in our community.”
Cllr Dimitri Batrouni, Monmouthshire council’s Labour group leader, has called on the Welsh Government and Monmouthshire Council to work on a solution.
“This is awful news for the communities and residents of Chepstow, Caldicot, Rogiet, Magor and Undy,” he said. “Bristol is an economic powerhouse, providing jobs and job opportunities across a wide range of different sectors.
“It is critical to the lifeblood of south Monmouthshire.
“Stopping the main bus service to Bristol will not only discourage commuters being environmentally conscious, but will also disproportionately affect people on lower incomes.
“Chepstow already has huge traffic pressures; this will only add to it.”

Rupert Cox, managing director of Stagecoach West, said that since September, the company has “worked hard to manage a service that costs far more to operate than it collects in customer revenue.”
“We took action in January to stop running trips carrying the fewest people, prioritising the busiest parts of the service,” Mr Cox said.
“Unfortunately, the remaining buses continued to run at a loss of more than £5,000 a week, before any impact caused by Covid-19 is taken into account.
“This loss is no longer sustainable and is preventing investment in the rest of our network.
“We’re sorry for the impact this decision will have on the small number of regular customers travelling with us.”

devonexpress

Many of the bus routes in Devon are poorly used by fare payers where they run parallel with a rail route. During the day, look at 2 Exeter-Newton Abbot, 57 Exeter-Exmouth. It’s 90% concessions.
I think we've talked about this before, but quite often the train is actually becoming cheaper, quicker and more frequent than the bus along these corridors.

TheWalrus

Established Member
I think we've talked about this before, but quite often the train is actually becoming cheaper, quicker and more frequent than the bus along these corridors.
It is cheaper most of the time. Not always more frequent but now Exmouth-Paignton is 2tph, I would be interested to know what impact this has had on the 2.

ATW158Xpress

Monmouthshire council are in discussions with South Gloucestershire about co-funding the Chepstow to Cribbs/Bristol service and NT are interested in operating if they both agree to subsidise for the service.

carlberry

Established Member

Monmouthshire council are in discussions with South Gloucestershire about co-funding the Chepstow to Cribbs/Bristol service and NT are interested in operating if they both agree to subsidise for the service.
Newport politician jumps on bandwagon despite the service from Newport to Chepstow not being withdrawn!
That's very kind of Newport Transport, perhaps some clever people could devise a scheme where a council could ask lots of bus companies if they'd run bus services as specified and paid for by a council!
I'm not sure why South Gloucestershire are involved for a service that's got little use to their residents and, if it's peak only, none at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.