• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach West/South West/South Wales - Fleet News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers25

Established Member
Interesting report Dave, cheers.

They can't come soon enough, as today (Monday) there were at least two ALX400's out on the 57, even in the evening, plus a rather unhealthy sounding Scania E400.

On October 31st they had at least a trident and 2 E200's on. My E400 was 20 minutes late and so was caught by the E200 behind. Bizarrely they both ran through to Brixington rather than one terminating short to catch up time. The main issue with the 57 is timekeeping. I do agree with extending at least some through to Budleigh Salterton again but beyond that to Sidmouth it would be a waste of decker due to lack of passengers and getting a decker round the roads on the 157 is fun.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveHarries

Established Member
On October 31st they had at least a trident and 2 E200's on. My E400 was 20 minutes late and so was caught by the E200 behind. Bizarrely they both ran through to Brixington rather than one terminating short to catch up time. The main issue with the 57 is timekeeping. I do agree with extending at least some through to Budleigh Salterton again but beyond that to Sidmouth it would be a waste of decker due to lack of passengers and getting a decker round the roads on the 157 is fun.
I would replace the Otterton link by extending another route (probably the 96) to operate direct Exmouth Parade to East Budleigh, then into Otterton. I don't go down Exmouth too much - only when working - but I believe the 96 uses Solos which would, I thought, be better for Otterton anyway. But I wonder how good the commuter traffic would be from Budleigh up toward Exeter.

Further to Services around Exmouth, SCSW have written on their website that, wef 23-Nov-2015:

- Service 56 (Exeter - Exeter Airport - Exmouth) has an additional journey at 0938 from Exeter Airport. The 0720 and 1640 56A journeys have been withdrawn, service 58 will offer an alternative.

- Service 57 (Exeter - Exmouth - Brixington) becomes a GOLD service.

- Service 58 (Exeter - Littleham - Exmouth) sees a revised timetable which includes the loss of all Saturday and Sunday / Bank Holiday journeys plus a cut in the number of Monday to Friday journeys from 8 to 6 as a result of a cut in local authority funding.

Details and new timetables available here:
https://www.stagecoachbus.com/tis-service-update-details.aspx?id=7458

HTIOI,
Dave

Last edited:

carlberry

Established Member
I visit Stroud for the first time in 3 1/2 years today (And the last time I was driving a Bristol RE!). I see a Stagecoach timetable rack in what passes as a bus station and have a quick look. The first timetable I see is for a service number I don't recognise (60) and a service I don't know about!

Apparently Stagecoach are now running most of what was First's Thornbury-Wotton-Dursley service with Severnside Transport only running the morning bits Monday-Friday. Therefore continuing their move southwards!

Worked by Stroud's 47553 today, whereas the other Dursley route (88) is a Gloucester Dart.

It does appear odd that what was a fairly predictable two bus service is now a random collection of journeys from two different operators, using two different numbers with through journeys only at certain times of day!

DaveHarries

Established Member
Some stuff from Stagecoach in today's VOSA Bus Service Registrations (10th November):

From Stagecoach West (Swindon / Gloucester):

PH0005031/148 - CHELTENHAM & GLOUCESTER OMNIBUS CO LTD, 3RD FLOOR, 65 LONDON ROAD, GLOUCESTER, GL1 3HF
Variation Accepted: Operating between Gloucester and Joy's Green / Cinderford given service number 24/24A effective from 04-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

PH0005031/167 - CHELTENHAM & GLOUCESTER OMNIBUS CO LTD, 3RD FLOOR, 65 LONDON ROAD, GLOUCESTER, GL1 3HF
Variation Accepted: Operating between Gloucester and Coleford given service number 23 effective from 04-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

PH0005031/228 - CHELTENHAM & GLOUCESTER OMNIBUS CO LTD, 3RD FLOOR, 65 LONDON ROAD, GLOUCESTER, GL1 3HF
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Dursley and Thornbury given service number 60 effective from 15-Nov-2015. To amend Timetable.

From Stagecoach South West:

PH1020951/242 - STAGECOACH DEVON LTD T/A STAGECOACH SOUTH WEST, BELGRAVE ROAD, EXETER, EX1 2LB
Variation Accepted: Operating between Princetown/Burrator/Plymouth and Wembury given service number 48 effective from 04-Jan-2016. To amend Timetable.

PH1020951/249 - STAGECOACH DEVON LTD T/A STAGECOACH SOUTH WEST, BELGRAVE ROAD, EXETER, EX1 2LB
Variation Accepted: Operating between Plymouth and Tavistock given service number X1/1 effective from 03-Jan-2016. To amend Route and Timetable.

HTIOI,
Dave

carlberry

Established Member
Some stuff from Stagecoach in today's VOSA Bus Service Registrations (10th November):

From Stagecoach West (Swindon / Gloucester):

PH0005031/228 - CHELTENHAM & GLOUCESTER OMNIBUS CO LTD, 3RD FLOOR, 65 LONDON ROAD, GLOUCESTER, GL1 3HF
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Dursley and Thornbury given service number 60 effective from 15-Nov-2015. To amend Timetable.

HTIOI,
Dave

Sounds like the new service 60 has issues already!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Sounds like the new service 60 has issues already!

You're very negative Carl. I can't understand why two firms operating two different services at different times of the day on the same route wouldn't be a massive success.

Oh, and no need to worry about overcrowding as it doesn't now run to the single biggest traffic objective in South Glos (The Mall at Cribbs).

carlberry

Established Member
You're very negative Carl. I can't understand why two firms operating two different services at different times of the day on the same route wouldn't be a massive success.

Oh, and no need to worry about overcrowding as it doesn't now run to the single biggest traffic objective in South Glos (The Mall at Cribbs).

I wasnt trying to be negative. I'd accept a charge of sarcasam however!

The weird thing is that South Glos council dont even admit that service 60 exists. And the 87 (not Stagecoach) still goes to the Mall, but only in term times (if you believe Severnside Transport), or all year (if you believe Traveline).

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I wasnt trying to be negative. I'd accept a charge of sarcasam however!

The weird thing is that South Glos council dont even admit that service 60 exists. And the 87 (not Stagecoach) still goes to the Mall, but only in term times (if you believe Severnside Transport), or all year (if you believe Traveline).

No small amount of sarciness from me either ;)

I'd looked at the Severnside site but nice to see there's an afternoon bus for the shoppers; just not one to get you there in the first place.

It's a mess

iantherev

The 5 15 plate Scanias allocated to Porth (28724/37/8/40/1) have gone on loan to Scotland as a result of the extra resources required following closure of the Forth Road Bridge.

Rapidash

Torquay has acquired a few of the E400s that were on the 57, drivers still having difficulties occasionally :o I know people don't believe me when I say they have less legroom than the others here, but I have had a few more rides on one on the 12, and they are definitely less roomy:( ooh me knees...

Anyone know what the plans for the X46 are once the extra gold appears and the bypass opens? Hourly service from Paignton, pretty please?

I still remember when it had coaches and even occasionally ran from Brixham! Why couldn't that have happened when I entered the workforce?!:lol:

IanCleverly

With the X24 recently becoming a Gold service, I've a feeling a few bits of stock may be 'moved over' as from today, the 56 (Tredegar) Blackwood -> Cross Keys -> Newport and the 50 Bargoed -> Caerphilly -> Newport routes had an increase from being an every half hour to every 20 minutes service.

This also tides over nicely with the recent opening of the Bus Station and the Friar's Walk Shopping Centre/complex in Newport's City centre.

Stagecoach West have acquired another route in Dursley - the 35 from Stroud to Dursley. In the last year, they have taken the 88 Dursley-Bristol and the 87 Dursley-Wotton-Thornbury. They are practically the only operator in Dursley.

35 taken away from Cotswold Green. They have also lost the 881 from Tetbury-Cirencester via Kemble Station. Coupled with the bus crash last week in Stroud, its not been a good week for Cotswold Green.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Stagecoach West have acquired another route in Dursley - the 35 from Stroud to Dursley. In the last year, they have taken the 88 Dursley-Bristol and the 87 Dursley-Wotton-Thornbury. They are practically the only operator in Dursley.

35 taken away from Cotswold Green. They have also lost the 881 from Tetbury-Cirencester via Kemble Station. Coupled with the bus crash last week in Stroud, its not been a good week for Cotswold Green.

I'd heard it reported elsewhere that Stagecoach had got the 35, and that Pulhams have got the 881.

Dursley was always border territory with C&G running in from Gloucester and Stonehouse and Badgerline running in from Wotton (even having two minibuses based there for local services).

Of course, these tendered services tend to wax and wane a bit. CG also run the 40 (which I've been on in Stagecoach days with a 709) and the 881 has also been a Stagecoach service in the past.

I predict a day out soon with Stagecoach in the Cotswolds/Dean soon.... ;)

i get the impression that since stagecoach west appointed its new MD, they have been doing a lot of good projects, particularly near Stroud, Cirencester and Dursley. Maybe they are slowly working their way down to Thornbury and Wotton before descending into yate and bristol

Rapidash

The Kingskerswell bypass has finally opened! Penn Inn to Torbay hospital on the 12 now takes roughly 10 minutes in the rush hour! This used to regularly take 45 minutes! Huzzah!

Unfortunately, seems no one thought to plan ahead and change the timetables around in time, so the services going along the Newton Road all have excessive amount of waiting around to catch up with the timetable. When I went on the X46 up to Exeter on Thursday, we ended up waiting at 4 stops for around 5 -10minutes spaced throughout the route. I know it takes a bit of time to get a route amended through VOSA, but it was pretty well known in advance it would be opening sometime this month.

Hopefully this is rectified in the near future, as its damn frustrating at a time when things ought to be looking bright.

iantherev

Unfortunately 'sometime this month' isn't sufficient for VOSA purposes - an actual date is needed. Amendments will depend on whether the Traffic Commissioner will accept a short notice change - otherwise it's 56 days. On the bright side, at least your bus isn't running late any more....

Rapidash

Saw a couple of E400 MMC's around Exeter today on the red P&R. Didn't think it was possible to make a bus have even more rounded corners, but yet again I've been proven wrong:) Looks good inside, legroom wise.

padbus

Saw a couple of E400 MMC's around Exeter today on the red P&R. Didn't think it was possible to make a bus have even more rounded corners, but yet again I've been proven wrong:) Looks good inside, legroom wise.

All the buses I saw on the Red (Honiton Road) P+R yesterday were E400 MMCs. There was one red one in the garage yard but standard liveried MMC 10456 was out in its place.

MAN/E300 21242 was parked in the coach station painted in all over Megabus blue with lettering for the Blue (Sowton) P+R.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
The Public Transport Experience blog (http://publictransportexperience.blogspot.co.uk/) has pictures of the new Plaxton Elites in build for 'Devon Falcon', a new express Plymouth -Bristol service.
I wasn't aware of the plans for this. Sounds like a nice idea and I hope it works. I should think that, if the line from Plymouth northwards gets closed due, for example, to engineering works or water flooding the line at Dawlish, it may get quite busy on this sort of service as people may prefer a direct coach to a replacement bus for part of the journey.

Those coaches look nice too.

Dave

matt_splat

now all that needs to happen is the Belle Express gets extended onto the Airport which could make it a very attractive service.

Rapidash

Torbay ignored though, which is a bit sad, as I was hoping with the bypass open, there might have been expansion for the solitary Megabus service.Torquay coach station is pretty quiet, after all! Time will tell I guess.

LAIRA

Rumor in Plymouth was 14th Feb but it has to be with VOSA for 6 weeks so that makes 22nd fen at the earliest

Colin

LAIRA

Probably not as the X38 serves many villages and towns en route to the centre of Exeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.