• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach wins SWT franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dennis

Established Member
From the Guardian article;

"Under the terms of the contract, the transport company will invest £40m in stations including London's Waterloo, from where it runs services to Brighton, Southampton, Portsmouth, Bristol, Exeter and Plymouth. Stagecoach said that it would increase capacity by 21% on mainline services and by 21% on suburban services by operating longer trains."

Guess they could be keeping through Waterloo - Bristol trains after all. :sunny:

LucaZone

if you think about it though, even if SWT didnt win the right to continue operating, it would still be the same trains AND same staff everywhere. The only changes would be the name, and the Management at the top. Employment laws state that any takeover of a company has to retain all the original staff who undertake jobs that will be continued.

So what ever franchises change hands, the quality of staff, and service should all remain the same. It is just the policies that would change.

The only reason noone likes FCC is because of the change in ticketing schemes. Nothing to do with the staff at the stations, or the shiney uniforms or trian colours. Management made some bad decisions and sadly are going to stick by them. Despite Government recommendations!

Coxster

Established Member
The only reason noone likes FCC is because of the change in ticketing schemes. Nothing to do with the staff at the stations, or the shiney uniforms or trian colours. Management made some bad decisions and sadly are going to stick by them. Despite Government recommendations!
I know a First GW employee who hates First since the takeover of Thames Trains for one of those reasons. He hates having to wear pink and purple :D

LucaZone

nit picking, but I guess you mean FGWL? as FGW and FGWL (formerly TT) still operate as seperate bodies (FGWL from Reading / FGW from OCC and St Phillips Marsh)

boosting my post count :D

Coxster

Established Member
I thought the Link/Express/Local thing was decided against when the new franchise started.

But yeah, Link ;)

LucaZone

They probably had the plans from back in 2004, so that the take over from Thames Trains matched up with their plans for the Greater Western franchise 2 years later.

Even then, Local / Link / Express all operate from different bases. Dont get drivers crossing between.

Coxster

Established Member
Even then, Local / Link / Express all operate from different bases. Dont get drivers crossing between.
I know the drivers don't cross over between high-speed, London and the western local operations much like all TOCs where they just learn different routes and stick to them. I just didn't think they were known as those sectors to passengers as originally planned.

You do have different sub-sectors such as 'Link1' and 'Link2'. 'Link1' does Turbos and 'Link2' do 180s aswell as Turbos.

TheSlash

Established Member
Lucazone, staff training and morale could change with a change of owner, so ground flor changes would be noticeable

Status
Not open for further replies.