• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach X1 Bus Service Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humberside

The Stagecoach X1 Hull to Grimsby bus service will go hourly from Monday 16th April, serve Keelby and incorporate Grimsby local service route 12 which means it will also serve Laceby and extend to Cleethorpes and New Waltham

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
And be renamed X12, AFAIK. Shame it still doesn't go into Barton.

EDIT: No, despite what was said it is to stay as X1 apparently

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are they going ahead with those new Enviro buses?

I still think the Wright-Bus equivilent would be better - I notice these are being used on the 350 from time to time.

Humberside

The Wright buses are standard on Stagecoch workings on the 350, though I prefer the East Yorkshire double deckers, of which some times are low floor ;)

David

Established Member
Can we have a decent bus service in Scunthorpe please?

Since Stagecoach bought LRC, things have got drastically worse here. I've seen the number 8 run down Normanby Road because the driver has taken a wrong turn and got lost :shock: (The number 8 route, in fact all routes go no where near Normanby Road)

mbonwick

Established Member
How about a decent bus service, with decent busses, around Lancaster or Kendal :?:

tramboy

You have to remember that all bus services these days, excepting those subsidised, are run on a commercial basis. This means, of course, that larger cities will get priority over smaller towns, and loss making areas (I hate to say it, but Lincolnshire isn't exactly profitable when it comes to running a bus service).

Investment depends on return...so Stagecoach are hardly likely to go out and buy brand new coaches for the X1 when there are a load sitting spare in Scotland from Bluebird (IIRC), until they see good return on it, making investment worthwhile. This is why areas such as Darlington remain high floor Dart operated...as Stagecoach are the majority operator (Arriva are worse!), and as such can control when to cascade low floor into the town.

You have to ask yourself...what would you do in the group situation...would you a)buy 500 new buses for whereever. b)Invest more into your railway franchises (which probably make more money) or c)something completely different?

Also, when talking about Stagecoach, bear in mind that Brian Souter is on the ADL board. And that ADL have been the preferred supplier of buses to Stagecoach for many years, so much so that the only variants in their recent order are some Versas, a few Omnilinks and some Solos.

Regards

Dave

mbonwick

Established Member
Please explain to me how a service running from Kendal to Elterwater (a small village in the middle of nowhere) can be operated by low floor buses, when a service into Lancaster is always high floor? ( I know, I'm a regualr traveller to Lancaster to go to school ;))

tramboy

You'll note that I have no insight into the North West region at all, having never really been!

I'm assuming that it's a small local service that has got Solos in the last batch to replace Sprint midis, which is what the last major Stagecoach order was for. This year, a large order for full size single deckers has been placed, so you may get a low floor replacement.

Sprint midis are in fact, in worse state than the Alexander PS types that Stagecoach continue to put into service (PS types have been refurbished in the North East), so it would be logical to remove them first. On small services around country lanes, I'd definitely prefer to be in something that a) can handle tourists easily and b) can stand up to a head on collision better than a sprint.

Regards

Dave

mbonwick

Established Member
Not really, what you say is valid, but the bus was a midi, native to Kendal town services. What I don't get is why not use smaller, mini ones not midi.
It's never a very full service. The place is quite inaccesable and only attracts walkers

Oh, and while on the subject, the 556 service which departs 0715 from Kendal, is now 10 mins earlier. Other services not affected

tramboy

Note I don't work for Stagecoach either!

I'm guessing the service is therefore subsidised by the council/tourist board, and as such, you'll get more money off them for running a midibus empty than a minibus full. Commercial decisions of the bus barons out there! Running minibuses is something the big groups have never done, and don't especially like doing either!

Timing I say will just be to probably get better reliability during the morning period.

Regards

Dave

mbonwick

Established Member
Timing is so it arrives at Lancaster on time, rather than 10-20mins late (due to traffic)

Status
Not open for further replies.