• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stamford

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluealley

No matter how many times I visit Stamford I will never like the housing estate in the close vicinity. Horrid.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

But it's all road names on a railway theme! On a sadder note the fantastic bookshop has gone and the disused signal box looks ever more run-down.

Ploughman

Established Member
Had a panic just then, thinking the shop had closed down.
However a quick look at the website states that they have just moved down the road a bit.

I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

We opened at 59 Scotgate, Stamford PE9 2YQ on 15 February 2016.
We look forward to seeing all our loyal customers, and maybe some new ones, now we have finally opened the doors at the new shop.
The new premises are no great distance from Station House and remain convenient for the A1 Great North Road and the railway. Stamford station, with an hourly service on the cross-country Birmingham to East Anglia railway, is ten minutes walk.

Had a panic just then, thinking the shop had closed down.
However a quick look at the website states that they have just moved down the road a bit.

I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

We opened at 59 Scotgate, Stamford PE9 2YQ on 15 February 2016.
We look forward to seeing all our loyal customers, and maybe some new ones, now we have finally opened the doors at the new shop.
The new premises are no great distance from Station House and remain convenient for the A1 Great North Road and the railway. Stamford station, with an hourly service on the cross-country Birmingham to East Anglia railway, is ten minutes walk.

Happy days!

DaleCooper

Established Member
No matter how many times I visit Stamford I will never like the housing estate in the close vicinity. Horrid.

There is another entrance to the station on Wothorpe Road which avoids the housing estate, although I don't know what's so bad about it.

westv

Established Member
I used to live for a while on "that housing estate". I thought it was ok myself. Quite pleasent and convenient for the station - even if the hourly service was rubbish.

asylumxl

Established Member
I've visited Stanford a few times and the houses don't bother me. As far as I can tell it's relatively quiet and mostly families.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I've visited Stanford a few times and the houses don't bother me. As far as I can tell it's relatively quiet and mostly families.

I think you will find that the OP was referring to the standard of architecture. Stamford has this mellow stone image and the station should be a welcome to that image (like the station itself).

Whilst the estate is neat, pleasant and tidy, it would be seen by most architectural snobs (sorry experts), as naff. Materials used are mixed render and reconstituted stone and so on. They have front gardens of postage size whereas an old market town has the terraced housing direct onto the street (see rest of Stamford, such as the streets around All Saints church).

I assume the station, being a bit out on a limb, and thus probably not in a conservation area, enabled the developers to get away with an unsympathetic plan.

bluealley

My comment is certainly not to reflect badly on the houses close to the station. They look nice, but out of place to me. I remember seeing the goods yard and that stretch of driveway as you came out of the station. Also, as someone else has mentioned, the signalbox is looking increasingly dilapidated, which is a shame. But that's evolution.

asylumxl

Established Member
I think you will find that the OP was referring to the standard of architecture. Stamford has this mellow stone image and the station should be a welcome to that image (like the station itself).

Whilst the estate is neat, pleasant and tidy, it would be seen by most architectural snobs (sorry experts), as naff. Materials used are mixed render and reconstituted stone and so on. They have front gardens of postage size whereas an old market town has the terraced housing direct onto the street (see rest of Stamford, such as the streets around All Saints church).

I assume the station, being a bit out on a limb, and thus probably not in a conservation area, enabled the developers to get away with an unsympathetic plan.
I honestly don't think they're that unsympathetic. An attempt has been made at least, with the render, to make them fit in slightly more with the rest of the town. That's a lot more than can be said for most developers.

westv

Established Member
It's certainly quiet. Never heard a peep out of the neighbours when I lived there.

NeilWatson

There is another entrance to the station on Wothorpe Road which avoids the housing estate, although I don't know what's so bad about it.

The Wothorpe Road entrance also leads through the housing estate to reach the station.

RichmondCommu

Established Member

So what do you suggest the local authority does to keep you happy? Knock down the houses and make the displaced population live in tents until you can think of a better idea. Not that anyone could ever accuse you of being a snob.

bluealley

So what do you suggest the local authority does to keep you happy? Knock down the houses and make the displaced population live in tents until you can think of a better idea. Not that anyone could ever accuse you of being a snob.

A little unfair assuming I'm a snob just because I dislike a housing development.

cactustwirly

Established Member
had quick look on google street view, I don't understand what's wrong with the houses, they're nice new houses which fit the architecture of the area.
The OP makes it out like it's a horrible council estate!

bluealley

The BBC have filmed 2 of their costume dramas here yet have never utilised this lovely housing complex. Next time, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.