• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Standard Class ALR - Excess to First

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furrball

My understanding (based on some searches, including some old posts here) is that you can excess to 1st class at a cost of the difference between the SOS and FOS fare when using the ALR.

Is this still the case?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
I've not heard of that one. I think EC offers it to season ticket holders if sought proactively.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Before travel, the difference between the appropriate standard & first class fares for the journey should be charged.

If you sit in 1st Class with a Standard ticket, then the NRCoC allows you to be treated as if no ticket is held.

If you board a Penalty Fare train in a Penalty Fare area, on which it is compulsory to buy before boarding, with no guard, you could be prosecuted for sitting in 1st class. FCC have threatened people with prosecution in this circumstance (though not for ALRs, but the same principle would likely apply).

However if you board a friendly TOC such as TPE, then it is my understanding that you will be offered the appropriate excess.

In fact, the difference between TPE and FCC is so huge it's hard to believe they're owned by the same parent company at times!

East Coast do indeed have a rule about giving passengers extra rights if they approach the guard, here it is:

EC Revenue Manual said:
C7. How to calculate on-board Excess Fares
Season Tickets - 7 Day, One Month or longer
Opportunity to buy ticket before boarding the train

The Conditions of Carriage state that season ticket
boarding the train
upgrades must be done before travel, so charge
appropriate fare as though no ticket were held.
However, if the journey is EC-only and the passenger
approaches you before the journey commences, EC
will extend the upgrade facility to on-train.

(Passengers who do not do this and wait for ticket-
inspection staff to approach them should be charged
the full First Single as per NRCoC 38, or move to
Standard accommodation). Charge the difference
between the appropriate Standard and First Class
fares for journey or if cheaper charge the full First
Anytime / Day fare for the journey. No Railcard
discounts.

(And before anyone complains at the lack of consistency, if consistency were to be applied across all TOCs then I can guarantee it would result in less rights for passengers who are currently offered more extensive rights than the minimum stipulated in the NRCoC.)

Furrball

OK, so National Rail Enquiries have told me:

1. Do not know
2. Do not know - ask at the station
3. Excessing an ALR is not allowed

Nice and clear then!

thedbdiboy

Custom and practice means that in the past, the difference between SOS and FOS for the the journey being undertaken has been applied. However, officially there is no upgrade process (there isn't one in the Manual).

It's been raised as an item for internal discussion and provided all TOCs are happy this may well be amended in the near future.....

34D

Established Member
However if you board a friendly TOC such as TPE, then it is my understanding that you will be offered the appropriate excess.

In fact, the difference between TPE and FCC is so huge it's hard to believe they're owned by the same parent company at times!

I understand that FGW intercity trains also have an upgrade on board policy - I'm trying to recall a post by user flamingo but can't find it.

John @ home

Established Member
Custom and practice means that in the past, the difference between SOS and FOS for the the journey being undertaken has been applied.
And, presumably, the difference between SDS and FDS where no SOS/FOS exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.