• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Standard Passes no lives left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DolomiteD

Hi All,

I recently went to the OPC and sadly only got a standard pass on Cables and Dials. Kicking myself because I know where I lost time. Last time I also only got a standard pass on Cables and Dials when I first attempted the tests 9 months ago too. ( everything else enhanced but of course didn't get to sit the computer based tests).

So I guess that means I am out, unless there are any TOCs in my area who will look at a national pass? I live in Bath so not sure if any TOCs within an hour of here would look at me or let me go back to the OPC to do the other tests anyway because I've used up two lives?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jacey

I thought Cables and dials was standard whatever you get. You have GWR and SWR both around and near to Bath in multiple locations both take standard results.

However i don't personally see any of them recruiting anytime soon for trainees.

DolomiteD

Yes to both companies, just found a link to the OPC confirming they are both national. Do these companies use OPC though ? or can I go back again if its via a different TOC? Cheers

Lewlew

A standard pass is still a pass. You haven't failed so still have all your lives. You only lose a life if you stuff it up and fail the assessment completely.

That's my understanding anyways

Dan61

I was told when I initially failed WMT 2 hand coordination at an enhanced mark I'd only.have one more attempt and that would class as my two attempts even though I reached national pass mark. Understanding is that you are told before hand it's for enhanced and not standard

adam0

Hi All,

I recently went to the OPC and sadly only got a standard pass on Cables and Dials. Kicking myself because I know where I lost time. Last time I also only got a standard pass on Cables and Dials when I first attempted the tests 9 months ago too. ( everything else enhanced but of course didn't get to sit the computer based tests).

So I guess that means I am out, unless there are any TOCs in my area who will look at a national pass? I live in Bath so not sure if any TOCs within an hour of here would look at me or let me go back to the OPC to do the other tests anyway because I've used up two lives?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers
You still have both lives remaining if you passed to standard.
You can try multiple times to get enhanced, you only loose a life if you retake and fail to meet standard.
Your last score is your current score.

DolomiteD

Ok, little confused

I Just had some feedback from the OPC. So back in august I completed the GB,TRP1, and Tea Occ at enhanced standard, and was sent home before I got to do DFFT. But then only got standard on TRP2.

Turns out in May 2021, I once again got standard on TRP2 but in fact failed DFFT. I think I answered 22 questions on TRP2 and only did about 9 DFFT.

Does this mean I don't have any lives left with enhanced companies anymore? OPC said I don't have any lives left with enhanced but I can approach standard companies but it seems to contradict what was said above.

Emilali

A standard pass is still a pass. You haven't failed so still have all your lives. You only lose a life if you stuff it up and fail the assessment completely.

That's my understanding anyways

You still have both lives remaining if you passed to standard.
You can try multiple times to get enhanced, you only loose a life if you retake and fail to meet standard.
Your last score is your current score.
This isn’t the case. The original poster will be able to go for jobs that only require national, however, as they have failed to achieve enhanced on 2 occasions now they can’t have a 3rd go to achieve it.

Ok, little confused

I Just had some feedback from the OPC. So back in august I completed the GB,TRP1, and Tea Occ at enhanced standard, and was sent home before I got to do DFFT. But then only got standard on TRP2.

Turns out in May 2021, I once again got standard on TRP2 but in fact failed DFFT. I think I answered 22 questions on TRP2 and only did about 9 DFFT.

Does this mean I don't have any lives left with enhanced companies anymore? OPC said I don't have any lives left with enhanced but I can approach standard companies but it seems to contradict what was said above.
OPC are correct with what they have told you. You can’t have anymore attempts to achieve enhanced. The only shot you have is companies that require national.

DunfordBridge

I think I am going to be somewhat controversial with my post today. Supposing the OP is required to resit his assessments by some other TOC in two years time with the aim of passing to national standard, and he scores in the region of 25 to 27 succesful answers on the TRP part 2, which I am guessing might be enough for certain operators using enhanced, would he then be denied of an enhanced pass for use with other operators on account of his previous two lower scores on that test? That would not seem entirely fair as he/she would have quite righfully attained that score.

What purpose do enhanced scores actualy serve other than to make the number of applicants more manageable? Is a candiate necesarily going to be a better train driver because they are somewhat quicker on a series of multiple choice questions. Both SWR and GWR are happy enough with the national standard. GWR operates quite a sizeable network whilst SWR covers two of the busiest stations on the UK network, Waterloo and and Clapham Junction. Evidently, national standard works for these companies.

Maybe the present testing system wil be due for a overhaul. Taking the 2 Hand test, since when has a train been controlled by two joysticks, it is not like the train is going to take off? Also, the ATAVT test is a series of pictures of road signs and other road features. I would not be surprised if the same company behind the ATAVT test actually offers a similar test that is based on what you would actually expect to see on a railway.

iwasyoungonce

Maybe the present testing system wil be due for a overhaul. Taking the 2 Hand test, since when has a train been controlled by two joysticks, it is not like the train is going to take off? Also, the ATAVT test is a series of pictures of road signs and other road features. I would not be surprised if the same company behind the ATAVT test actually offers a similar test that is based on what you would actually expecty to see on a railway.

I believe that the two hand coordination test is looking at how quickly you correct your mistakes (going off track) and how much you improve (learn from your mistakes) over the subsequent attempts.

The ATAVT practice material sent out by the OPC is a picture of someones kitchen, not something you will see that often driving a train !

They are all designed to predict your ability to learn new information and be trained along with other more subtle PQA's of the candidate.

skyhigh

Established Member
Taking the 2 Hand test, since when has a train been controlled by two joysticks, it is not like the train is going to take off? Also, the ATAVT test is a series of pictures of road signs and other road features. I would not be surprised if the same company behind the ATAVT test actually offers a similar test that is based on what you would actually expect to see on a railway.
You could say the same thing about circling entries in a phone book, or counting dots. Just because it's not something you do in the job, doesn't mean it's pointless.

DunfordBridge

I believe that the two hand coordination test is looking at how quickly you correct your mistakes (going off track) and how much you improve (learn from your mistakes) over the subsequent attempts.

The ATAVT practice material sent out by the OPC is a picture of someones kitchen, not something you will see that often driving a train !

They are all designed to predict your ability to learn new information and be trained along with other more subtle PQA's of the candidate.

I can see how I could have been missing the point that the 2 Hand is testing more than co-ordination but what if a candidate displays such a high standard of co-ordination that there is not much scope for improvement on successive attempts. Actually brings to mind a Psychology practical lesson I underwent at University. You had to control the movement of an object when viewed through a mirror not as easy as it sounds.

You could say the same thing about circling entries in a phone book, or counting dots. Just because it's not something you do in the job, doesn't mean it's pointless.

I would not say that the tests are pointless, clearly certain attributes need to be tested such as concentration, co-ordination, etc. I am just womdering if there is a better way of doing it even though I am no expert on the matter.

The question in my mind is how long have enhanced standards existed officially? Somce the latest testing system was introduced in 2013 or possibly earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.