• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Standards for Passenger Signage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giugiaro

Good afternoon everyone!

Does anyone know if there are standards for passenger signage on railway vehicles?

I need to redo some door buttons for a batch of passenger coaches in Portugal.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Presumably there are 'tactile' requirements for arrows, braille or whatever and illumination haloes as well as 'signage' these days?

pdeaves

Established Member
Might Portuguese standards vary from British ones? Overarching European standards will set the minimum requirements but that's not to say individual countries can't go beyond that.

Giugiaro

Thank you.I already saved a copy of the PMR guidance.

Might Portuguese standards vary from British ones? Overarching European standards will set the minimum requirements but that's not to say individual countries can't go beyond that.

Network Rail has some amazing documents for infrastructure planning. I even used them for a project, as I've mentioned before in the forum.

At the moment I'm deciding on what to write on the buttons to open and close the doors of the ex-Renfe Arco coaches.
It was decided it will retain written words on the button, and they'll be in Portuguese, English and French.

I've already sorted out the words in French, but I'm still undecided on the English words.

ATM I have them set to "Open Door" and "Close Door". But it has been suggested:
  • Open Door/Close Door
  • Open/Close
  • To Open/To Close
  • Push to Open/Push to Close

I'd rather just use what's most common in Britain, to use familiar precedents, like I did for the French translation.
For instance, the company traditionally used "Ouvrir" and "Fermature", but after consulting with some French contacts, I had to change to "Ouvrir" and "Fermer", which are the standard at SNCF.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Thank you.I already saved a copy of the PMR guidance.

Network Rail has some amazing documents for infrastructure planning. I even used them for a project, as I've mentioned before in the forum.

At the moment I'm deciding on what to write on the buttons to open and close the doors of the ex-Renfe Arco coaches.
It was decided it will retain written words on the button, and they'll be in Portuguese, English and French.

I've already sorted out the words in French, but I'm still undecided on the English words.

ATM I have them set to "Open Door" and "Close Door". But it has been suggested:
  • Open Door/Close Door
  • Open/Close
  • To Open/To Close
  • Push to Open/Push to Close

I'd rather just use what's most common in Britain, to use familiar precedents, like I did for the French translation.
For instance, the company traditionally used "Ouvrir" and "Fermature", but after consulting with some French contacts, I had to change to "Ouvrir" and "Fermer", which are the standard at SNCF.
All the British door buttons I've seen just say Open and Close. With three languages, you will need to be as brief as possible in each of them otherwise the text gets very small and people tend to stop to read it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All the British door buttons I've seen just say Open and Close. With three languages, you will need to be as brief as possible in each of them otherwise the text gets very small and people tend to stop to read it.

I'd imagine almost nobody reads the text - the symbols are quite well known - <> for open and >< for close, usually embossed on the button so blind people can use them by feel. That might be a decent bet on an international vehicle?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'd imagine almost nobody reads the text - the symbols are quite well known - <> for open and >< for close, usually embossed on the button so blind people can use them by feel. That might be a decent bet on an international vehicle?
Without ploughing through the TSI I'm pretty sure it would mandate a tactile symbol, though it may not mandate the actual symbol to be used.

Giugiaro

Those would be the raised tactile symbols conform to TSI PRM.

I wanted to use them over text, but such a tiny modification like that one would require us to make a full risk assessment.

We don't have time nor resources for that, so the buttons will be remanufactured with the word "Open" and "Close" in both Portuguese, English and French.

Status
Not open for further replies.