• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stansted Airport to Ipswich

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonic

Hello,

Looking to travel from Stansted Airport to Ipswich on 19 December and Ipswich to London Liverpool St on 27 December. Have a 26-30 Railcard.

Am I right in thinking I can buy an Off Peak Return from Stansted Airport to Ipswich Not via London for £18.15 and excess the return part to Any Permitted for (38.95-18.15)/2=£10.40, thus paying £28.55 return in total? I know this used to be possible a few years ago but just double-checking, as my fare knowledge is a bit rusty.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You don't say what time you are arriving, but I make a similar journey and would suggest you look at the X10 bus from the Airport to Chelmsford and then by train. It only takes 35 mins so would possibly mean a faster journey - not sure of the effect on the cost through - I have a bus pass so it's certainly cheaper (as well as faster) for me.

Established Member
There's a direct National Express coach from Stansted to Ipswich if the times suit.

smsm1

There's a direct National Express coach from Stansted to Ipswich if the times suit.
Yes the direct national express coach is what my relatives use. It can be faster depending on timings.

kieron

Established Member
Am I right in thinking I can buy an Off Peak Return from Stansted Airport to Ipswich Not via London for £18.15 and excess the return part to Any Permitted for (38.95-18.15)/2=£10.40, thus paying £28.55 return in total?
You certainly should be able to buy everything at those prices. I notice that a Stansted-Ipswich "not via London" ticket is only valid via Newmarket, though, rather than via Lea Bridge or Ely. That still gives you an hourly train for most of the day, though.

lemonic

Thanks everyone for your responses!
  • Hadn't considered travelling via Chelmsford so thanks for the suggestion! Seems like a good connection into the Intercity to Ipswich if the bus is on time, which gives a very attractive journey time!
  • I considered National Express but I'll have 2 hours between my flight arriving and the coach and I'm not in the UK so often nowadays so don't mind a slightly longer journey if I can catch the train instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.