• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stansted to Bridgend

Status
Not open for further replies.

swcovas

Following on from my previus question about advance booking a few days ago can someone help and tell me the cheapest way to get from Stanstead to Bridgend tomorrow, Friday 6th July? I will be landing at Stanstead at about 0830 and have no rush to get to Bridgend so any route that gives me the cheapest option will do. Thanks in anticipation!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Single or return? Any railcards or are you eligible for any?

If it's just a single journey then my feeling is a simple split in London will probably be a good bet - this allows you to make use of FGW's sensible pricing of pricing of singles from London. Further splits will undermine this so unlikely to be of use here. I've not looked into creative routeings - nothing obvious comes to mind and I'd not suggest anything too wacky.

Through fares - Stansted Airport (SSD) - Bridgend (BGN):
Super Off Peak Single - £79.50
Super Off Peak Single - £80.50

Split in London:
SSD-London Anytime Single: £22.50
Oyster PAYG to cross London: £2.00
London-BGN Super Off Peak Single: £42.00
Total: £66.50

If you don't have an Oyster card, I'd advise purchasing a ticket from Stansted to Acton Main Line instead, this is £24.90 and will cover your Tube journey across London to Paddington. The Stansted-London leg is valid at any time, obviously, and the Paddington-Bridgend ticket has restriction YW, depart between 10:10 and 15:01 and from 19:01.

If you held a Network Railcard, it would be better to buy SSD-Didcot Parkway (DID) Anytime Single with the Network Railcard discount, plus DID-BGN Super Off Peak Single, totalling £58.20. Even if you live outside the South East, a Railcard could make savings even on a few trips around London.

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
If you read this before you fly I would suggest this option :

Stansted Airport to Bishops Stortford ANY PERMITTED anytime day single £4.70
Bishops Stortford to London Zone U1* ) ANY PERMITTED anytime day single £17.20 (Will allow a single journey on the tube to Paddington
London Paddington to Bridgend ANY PERMITTED super off peak single £42.00

To use this ticket above the train from Stansted must stop at Bishops Stortford.

total cost : £63.90

Wolfie

Established Member
If you read this before you fly I would suggest this option :

Stansted Airport to Bishops Stortford ANY PERMITTED anytime day single £4.70
Bishops Stortford to London Zone U1* ) ANY PERMITTED anytime day single £17.20 (Will allow a single journey on the tube to Paddington
London Paddington to Bridgend ANY PERMITTED super off peak single £42.00

To use this ticket above the train from Stansted must stop at Bishops Stortford.

total cost : £63.90

Would Audley End to U1 not be cheaper?

Established Member
Would Audley End to U1 not be cheaper?

It would be less convenient as the only trains from Stansted Airport to Audley End are the CrossCountry Birmingham services, which are hourly. You'd have to change at Audley End for a Cambridge - Liverpool Street train.

DJ737

G'day

Bit late now but Elsenham-U123 is £18.00
plus the Paddington-Bridgend Super Off Peak single £42.00 is probably the cheapest.
Tickets from Elsenham are valid via Stansted Airport

Cheers
DJ737
Melbourne, Australia

Wolfie

Established Member
It would be less convenient as the only trains from Stansted Airport to Audley End are the CrossCountry Birmingham services, which are hourly. You'd have to change at Audley End for a Cambridge - Liverpool Street train.

Sorry I was less than clear with my comment. I have previously been advised on here, and indeed have made good use of, that tickets London to/from Audley End are both cheaper than from Stansted Airport and can be used ending/starting short.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Indeed, would also be possibly worth looking at Bridgend to Audley End tickets but NOT Advances as starting/ending short is not valid on those!

swcovas

Flight delayed 6 hours so just picked up on the thread! Thanks to all.......does mean I have to wait til after 7 for cheapest fair to Bridgend!

Status
Not open for further replies.