• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staples Corner Derailment 28/10/1988

Status
Not open for further replies.

allticketspls

At 03:30am on Friday 28th October 1988, BR Blue 31202 & Railfreight Red Stripe 31226 rolled down a siding at Cricklewood Depot before crashing through a buffer stop and falling down an embankment onto the westbound carriageway of the North Circular Road at Staples Corner.

Following a visit to my parents, I found a group of photos I took on an old Kodak single use camera. I have uploaded the shots to my photo gallery at http://railphotos.allticketsplease.co.uk/index.php?level=album&id=26

Apologies for the quality but I was only 12 years old :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Ah yes, thanks for the memories from the late turn signalman at Forders Sidings the previous evening who signalled them off on their last journey on 4C52 Forders to Cricklewood. Can remember doubling back to somewhere the following morning (Watford?) and being told what had happened by the box supervisor.

IIRC there was also a spate of "sabotage" incidents around the same time, from memory there were similar incidents at Stonebridge Park and Watford Yard around the same time. Can't recollect the outcome though I do believe somebody (a disgruntled ex-employee) was eventually tracked down.

westcoaster

Established Member
Ah yes, thanks for the memories from the late turn signalman at Forders Sidings the previous evening who signalled them off on their last journey on 4C52 Forders to Cricklewood. Can remember doubling back to somewhere the following morning (Watford?) and being told what had happened by the box supervisor.

IIRC there was also a spate of "sabotage" incidents around the same time, from memory there were similar incidents at Stonebridge Park and Watford Yard around the same time. Can't recollect the outcome though I do believe somebody (a disgruntled ex-employee) was eventually tracked down.

This is also what I heard, a disgruntled fitter was responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.