• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Star Trek Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewNo2

(note: the old thread was closed https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/star-trek-discovery.133202/)

The season finale of Star Trek: Discovery season 1 came out on Netflix today, so I thought I'd air my thoughts on it.

I came into the season with mixed feelings. I desperately wanted Discovery to be successful because I adore Star Trek as a universe for storytelling. But I was also worried it would be too JJ Abrams-ish - I mean, it's good that there are successful Trek movies, but Trek belongs on the TV where there's room for emotional subtlety, talking and small stakes. To some extent it was rather Abramsish, especially with the "oh it's the end of the universe" and "they're about to invade Earth" bits, but by and large I felt it didn't raise the stakes too high, or at least not in a way which had to be taken seriously.

The first half of the season was honestly rather lacklustre, although there was certainly some fun in seeing Captain Lorca be killed 60 times over. It was serious, but it knew that sometimes it should just give you a laugh (sidenote: Tilly is awesome). The best two episodes, to me, were (and yes, I love the return to Roddenberry-esque episode title pretentiousness) "What's Past is Prologue" and "The War Without, the War Within" - because they felt like Trek. There were bridge scenes, named subordinates being told to do stuff, solutions achieved by talking. And oh yes, Saru being captain.

In regards to aesthetic, the series sensibly accepted that our computer display tech is way beyond what was seen in The Original Series and didn't try to make everything big glowy lights and small 2D screens. The overall style is a bit too dark for my liking, but space is dark so I suppose it makes sense. The uniforms also looked quite practical, albeit without the pockets they had on Enterprise.

After one season, it's hard to know yet where to place Discovery, and it certainly isn't coming close to my beloved DS9 yet, but the quality of this season compared to the first seasons of any other Trek outing is frankly superb, so I have high hopes.

One to beam up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
I haven't watched watched the latest episode, but after the first few episodes it's actually quite good!
I quite liked all the plot twists, and the journey through the mirror universe.

However it doesn't 'feel' like star trek. It's still better than Voyager though.

I agree with @TheNewNo2, it doesn't come close to DS9, which is by far my favourite ST and probably one of the best Sci Fi shows.

najaB

Veteran Member
I agree with @TheNewNo2, it doesn't come close to DS9, which is by far my favourite ST and probably one of the best Sci Fi shows.
Disagree on both counts. DS9 was, for most of its run, a soap-opera on a space station. It was really only the last two series that were any good. TNG outdoes it in almost every regard. As for best sci-fi, I'd vote for B5 over DS9 every day of the week - not sure if it'd take the crown from TNG (for being the best Trek), Blake's 7 (for story) or Stargate SG-1 (for expansiveness).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I too found DS9 a bit rubbish. TNG was good, Voyager was good, but I’m quite enjoying Discovery for its darkness and plot twists that are very dystopian and not at all a classic Trek.

nlogax

Established Member
It's no TNG but it's still very enjoyable..Voyager-level enjoyable before that descended into a blur of recalcitrant holodecks and sudden tachyon anomalies. I'm looking forward to season two, especially with what today's finalé seems to promise.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I thought the early series of DS9 were good, but they seemed to run out of ideas, and the later trend towards "mysticism" was disappointing. The original Star Trek was almost "cowboys & indians in space", although I liked it. TNG, Voyager & Enterprise were all good; not yet seen Discovery. Will wait to see if it ever comes to "Freeview" TV, or gets released as an affordable box set.

cactustwirly

Established Member
After watching the latest episode, I think Discovery has found its feet, after a rocky start.

JamesT

Established Member
I must admit to laughing out loud at the end. Definite bit of fan gratification with the identity of the ship making the distress call and then the closing credits running with the original music.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Disagree on both counts. DS9 was, for most of its run, a soap-opera on a space station. It was really only the last two series that were any good. TNG outdoes it in almost every regard. As for best sci-fi, I'd vote for B5 over DS9 every day of the week - not sure if it'd take the crown from TNG (for being the best Trek), Blake's 7 (for story) or Stargate SG-1 (for expansiveness).

In a way the soap opera aspect was what I liked about DS9. Seemed to add more continuity and better character development.

TNG is still my own favourite - largely I think because of its more optimistic theme and fun characters. It always did annoy me though that though the characters were enjoyable, neither they nor the storylines developed much through the series. And the episodes didn't seem to join up (I recall one episode in which Worf suffered potentially life-changing injuries, ending the episode barely able to walk, yet magically by the next episode he was running around as if nothing had happened!). DS9 seemed to handle those sorts of things much better, which for me was its strength.

It also seemed very unrealistic in TNG that on a ship with 1000+ crew, most of the time, no-one except the 5-10 most senior staff actually seemed to do anything! (TOS of course had much the same problem). I think DS9 could justify that more because there was evidently a much smaller Federation crew, so seemed a bit more realistic.

I've not yet started on Discovery but will do (still have a couple of seasons of DS9 and most of Enterprise to watch first, so I guess it'll be a couple of years yet :) ) Interesting to read people's impressions of it though.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I've not yet started on Discovery but will do (still have a couple of seasons of DS9 and most of Enterprise to watch first, so I guess it'll be a couple of years yet :) ) Interesting to read people's impressions of it though.

In that case, the best is yet to come! The story arc beginning at "a Call to Arms" is my favourite part of DS9. The ending is also really good!
Enterprise is good too, but it can be a little slow, especially in seasons 1 & 2.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I've just binged my way through Voyager and TNG (in that order - I always preferred Voyager when it appeared on terrestrial telly), so I'm reluctant to get involved in any of the others at the moment. I do wish the likes of Netflix would give a "watch-by" date so that I could plan my viewing at a rather more leisurely pace.

As far as DS9 is concerned - I never really got into that.

TheNewNo2

I always loved how DS9 allowed for larger stories. The problem with TOS/TNG was that they would go somewhere, upend a civilisation, then fly away and never think of it again. DS9 was forced to deal with consequences. Voyager could have been good, but it failed to deal with consequences or go even slightly dark and was thus disappointing. Enterprise I loved for how it made clear that everything was new and they made mistakes.

TheEdge

Established Member
While I'm not a massive Trekky I do enjoy the odd foray into sci-fi and TNG is one of my pleasures. I've enjoyed Discovery on the most part. I enjoyed how it was quite dark and got away from the overly utopian universe often presented in other Star Treks. I imagine once we do start space faring there will be far more shooting first incidents than the talking incidents as seen in series like TNG. I also enjoyed the way the Klingons were given a bit more of a back story rather than just being the enemy de jure.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

That being said I though the finale was a bit of a cop out. To have Emperor Georgiou just sort of give an interstellar "meh" to the whole blowing up Qo'noS when presented with the barrier of having to kill prime universe Michael to do so, despite in previous episodes having made it quite clear she had no issue with the prospect of killing and harming the prime universe version of people. It all felt like the writers realised they had run out of episode time and needed to wrap it up sharpish. And I'm not entirely sure what the plan is with the final appearance of Enterprise.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
To be honest I thought it was pretty 'eh'.

But one thing I will say is it I have utmost respect for them daring to go as crazy with the plot in mid-season as they did.

I am not sure it can survive without Jason Isaacs and Michelle Yeoh though, they (especially the former) carried most of the season in my opinion.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I haven't got into it and in all honesty I think they are still afraid to make a Trek based series that is really edgy. Oddly I'm enjoying The Orville.

najaB

Veteran Member
That being said I though the finale was a bit of a cop out. To have Emperor Georgiou just sort of give an interstellar "meh" to the whole blowing up Qo'noS when presented with the barrier of having to kill prime universe Michael to do so, despite in previous episodes having made it quite clear she had no issue with the prospect of killing and harming the prime universe version of people. It all felt like the writers realised they had run out of episode time and needed to wrap it up sharpish
It actually made sense - she knew that Starfleet had turned against her plan so there was no benefit to her of going ahead with it. On the other hand, being able to disappear as a free woman would give her the chance to build herself a power base in a universe that still had Klingons as a counter to Starfleet's power.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I like a bit of Star Trek ( but not in a geeky minutiae way obvs ;) ) and thought this was interesting. It was darker than other series, had very good effects, decent actors and some developing story lines. I liked Jason Isaacs and thought he was shaping up to be a really good character, ( shifty, driven, flawed & with issues - unlike say Kirk or Picard) then they decided he was from an alternative universe and killed him! Then they brought back a really strong female lead in Michelle Yeoh who they had previously killed off to give Michael some depth and then let her wander off!

I did really enjoy it as a sci fi series but wonder how it fits into the cannon (?) of Star Trek However there are lots of questions:

Why is the lead female character called Michael? What is that drive system all about? Why have we never heard about it in any other series? Why have we never heard of the Star Trek version of the force before? Why did Spock never mention his half sister in any of the older ST films and series? Why did the Enterprise turn up right at the end? Why are there multi coloured Klingons? When did those different colours die out?

vrbarreto

I like a bit of Star Trek ( but not in a geeky minutiae way obvs ;) ) and thought this was interesting. It was darker than other series, had very good effects, decent actors and some developing story lines. I liked Jason Isaacs and thought he was shaping up to be a really good character, ( shifty, driven, flawed & with issues - unlike say Kirk or Picard) then they decided he was from an alternative universe and killed him! Then they brought back a really strong female lead in Michelle Yeoh who they had previously killed off to give Michael some depth and then let her wander off!

I did really enjoy it as a sci fi series but wonder how it fits into the cannon (?) of Star Trek However there are lots of questions:

Why is the lead female character called Michael? What is that drive system all about? Why have we never heard about it in any other series? Why have we never heard of the Star Trek version of the force before? Why did Spock never mention his half sister in any of the older ST films and series? Why did the Enterprise turn up right at the end? Why are there multi coloured Klingons? When did those different colours die out?

Spoke never mentioned Sybok until Star Trek 5.. Perhaps the Spore drive is found to have major issues going forward.. No one ever mentions after Star Trek 3 that Starfleet had Transwarp drive aboard the Excelsior..

The Klingon changing look might have something to do with the Augment virus and the Enterprise was the ship that was sending out the distress signal...

No idea about the Michael thing as Tilly stated that she only knew of one Michael is Starfleet..

We shall see next season..

najaB

Veteran Member
Why is the lead female character called Michael?
http://www.tvguide.com/news/star-trek-discovery-female-named-michael/
What is that drive system all about? Why have we never heard about it in any other series?
There have been references to experimental drives in other series. Normally they go horribly wrong (much like happened to the USS Glen).
Why did Spock never mention his half sister in any of the older ST films and series?
I have a feeling she was mentioned in the animated series... I'll need to double-check.
Why did the Enterprise turn up right at the end?
To set up the next series (plus a bit of fanservice). Bear in mind, it's NCC-1701 right at the start of her career while still under the command of Capt Pike.
Why are there multi coloured Klingons? When did those different colours die out?
Mutations. Which have been mentioned/referenced in previous series. However, as Worf said "We don't speak of it with outsiders."

Status
Not open for further replies.