• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starbucks on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
Am I the only one in here who likes starbucks coffee because you can actually just get 'a cup of coffee' unlike costa where all they will make you is watered down espresso?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LE Greys

Established Member
Am I the only one in here who likes starbucks coffee because you can actually just get 'a cup of coffee' unlike costa where all they will make you is watered down espresso?

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip. Although I do sometimes enjoy winding up the people in Costa by asking for 'black coffee'.

Nym

Established Member
I didn't know that, thanks for the tip. Although I do sometimes enjoy winding up the people in Costa by asking for 'black coffee'.

The tip in starbucks is ask for a "Filter Coffee" and you get real proper coffee, and you don't have to wait for it, so you can walk past everyone getting their posh coffees.

(They make it in a big filter machine)

unlike other places, where you have americano that is watered down espresso

WatcherZero

Established Member
The tip in starbucks is ask for a "Filter Coffee" and you get real proper coffee, and you don't have to wait for it, so you can walk past everyone getting their posh coffees.

Doesnt make much of a difference, every Starbucks ive ever been in they serve people in order. If someone wants an iced coffee your stuck waiting 10 minutes.

Flamingo

Established Member
The coffee on the trolley on the Cardiff - Portsmouth Harbour is Starbucks, I noticed a few days ago going over to Bristol Temple of Doom!

Coming back from Leeds yesterday I noticed a sign in the buffet stating that Starbucks is served. I clean forgot when the (very) nice buffet lady asked me if I wanted medium or strong. Foolishly I asked for medium forgetting that Starbucks is so weak to be tasteless - and it was. If only Cafe Nero would take to the trains, it's the only decent stuff out there. Starbucks is weak and Costas is always burnt.

PR1Berske

Established Member
They (Greggs) always seem to be busy at Hull Interchange, open till at least 7 too.

I'd be more than happy to buy from a Greggs trolly on a Northern service.......imagine the mark up though :!

Royston Vasey

Established Member

You also have a choice of two or three roasts to cater for your tastes, if its the same as Starbucks in the US. I do like Americano but it may not suit everyone.

Nym

Established Member
You also have a choice of two or three roasts to cater for your tastes, if its the same as Starbucks in the US. I do like Americano but it may not suit everyone.

Usually two over here, although in a morning on Oxford St it's normally the Fairtade one and someting that would blow your head off, I always go for the latter.

And greggs being open till late on Hull Interchange is a very handy thing for when I'm heading home on a Sunday evening :)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Starbucks has recently (March time?) increased the strength of its coffee hasn't it?

Nym

Established Member
Yes, Lattés and Cappuchinos now have additional shots of espresso as standard, although you could always ask for more anyway

jon0844

Veteran Member
Of course - but it's cut down the price a bit. I used to buy triple shot coffees (albeit from an independent coffee stall near Old Street).

BestWestern

Established Member
I remember travelling on GNER in 1st class and them asking me to complete a survey asking if I'd prefer the buffet car to be taken over by any of these firms:

Pret a Manger
Starbucks
Costa
KFC
McDonalds
Greggs
Wetherspoons

etc

:lol:

Hmm, a 'Spoons buffet car - now there's a nice idea :D Chances are it would do better food at better prices than most of what's on offer at the moment!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I like both. The main reason for going to get a coffee (and I expect is the same reason for most people) was getting out of the office for half an hour.

Making tea in the office was fine, but took a few minutes and ended up with me making it for colleagues!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hear Hear :D

Good God no! I couldn't get through the day without my coffee! And without coffee shops, town/city centres would be almost completely empty these days! :lol: Plus think of all those people you'd put out of work if everyone went over to tea, although I suppose you could re-train them to make tea better than just shoving a tea bag in a cup...

As for Bristol Temple of Doom, I'm certain I've heard that before but crikey that made me laugh! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.