Start of Southeastern offering advance tickets

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Cletus, 14 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

Looking through Southeastern's journey planner I've noticed that there is now an advance single option for travel wholly within their network.

Eg:
    St Pancras to Dover Priory Thursday 21st May
    £13.50 valid on Highspeed services

Doesn't appear to be showing on NRE though (or TPE through RailUK forums link).

Last edited: 25 May 2015
  2. thebigcheese

thebigcheese Member

I suppose the digital seat reservation displays above each seat on the Javelins might finally get some use then.

3. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

doubt it- more likely to go with the LM/SWT/GA (Cambridge services) Advance model where you have to get the specified train, but not a specified seat

4. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

Hmmm, this sort of thing concerns me.

£13.50 each way sounds a bargain but there'll probably be very few at this price. More likely is that you'll pay £15-20 each way. Still it sounds cheap. Remember you'r restricted to your one booked train only.

Far better value is an off-peak day return with a railcard or Groupsave at £26.15 (CDR) or £27 (SVR), offering far more flexibility.

5. RJ

RJ Established Member

Agreed, given these new "SEE" type Advance tickets are available with the "Not Valid on HS1" route as well.

6. gray1404

gray1404 Established Member

They might start offering combined Advance tickets with LM and SE for longer distance journeys.

7. thebigcheese

thebigcheese Member

Shame about the seat reservation. would have been good to have got one between Ebbsfleet and Gravesend ;)

8. Starmill

Starmill Established Member

What's the route? Have they adopted the comical 'AP' in the route field?

9. Cletus

Cletus Established Member

Southeastern have now put confirmation on their website.
    http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/your-journey/tickets/regular-tickets/952/

10. Kentish Paul

Kentish Paul Member

Be aware.<D Just looked on the SE website for an advance from Ashford International to St P on 28th July. With my senior railcard they offer an £8.80 fare. Great you say, but its only valid on the 11:15 departure via Dover, Ramsgate and North Kent. i.e. 2.45 hrs !

The 11:15 departure the other way (37mins) is not allowed.

Seems like SE are up to their usual tricks. Not checked the classic line yet.:cry:

11. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

I can imagine the newspaper story now.

"I had a ticket for the 1115 to St Pancras and I caught the 1115 to St Pancras but was given a fine because my ticket was only valid on the 1115 to St Pancras!"

12. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

It'll be interesting to see how that is described on the ticket/reservation.

13. Starmill

It would be impossible for anyone checking the ticket to differentiate between them I think.

To answer my own question it appears the same routes for Advance tickets are being used as for certain walk-up ones: PLUS HIGH SPEED and NOT VALID ON HS1. Just the one tier for each seems a bit strange...

14. Kentish Paul

Kentish Paul Member

Indeed. Just checking my last advance with SWT from Waterloo to to Yeovil Junction. (£13.20 1st class with railcard), the route is "AP SWT only" and validity is "book'd train only". The return reservation shows from/to and Valid at 10:29 on xx:jun:xx.

I assume the SE one would somehow show "AP SE only" and "Plus High Speed" along with Book'd train only.

Whether they can squeeze any more routing info onto either ticket or reservation we will see.:|
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Well said. I did think of that after posting. As others have said it will be interesting to see what turns up on the reservations. :lol:

15. Starmill

Doesn't look like it! The route field just shows PLUS HIGH SPEED and the validity field BOOKDTRAINONLY.

16. Kentish Paul

Kentish Paul Member

Just checked the classic line for 28th July and they offer £6.55 ( with railcard, £9.90 without) for Ashford international to London Terminals. All are off peak. Nothing before the 09:35 departure from Ashford. (Maybe Victoria is a bit earlier).

Also checked my other regular trip from Ashford to West Malling and as expected no advances. Thank god i have my railcard. :)

17. Starmill

I haven't found any that aren't to or from London Terminals. I would guess at this stage they aren't offering any.

18. Kentish Paul

Kentish Paul Member

Do any other TOCs offer short range advances? I always assumed they were for longer journeys.

Maybe a new thread for the shortest advance available in the UK :lol:

Switch PC off, time for bed (said Zebedee).

19. Starmill

Guiseley to Cononley is probably the shortest I know of, route AP NORTHERN ONLY.

20. RJ

RJ Established Member

It does seem to be a bit of a blunder - the service going the long way around would have a false destination, probably Ramsgate at that point. So the only advertised 1115 to St Pancras would be the train they aren't booked on.

Realistically speaking I'm skeptical that anyone would book the journey taking 2h45m.

21. bicbasher

bicbasher Established Member

I found a £14.40 advance single from St. Pancras to Hastings via HS1.

Thanks, but no thanks Southeastern.

22. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Without seat reservations, the guard is not going to be able to tell the difference, as the reservation coupon would only be listing the departure time and not the arrival time.

23. SF-02

SF-02 Member

Havn't checked any yet but on the surface all I can is FINALLY!

Not everyone has a railcard, or much use for one, and SE being one of the very few TOCs not offering good value advances has hurt Kent towns and resorts in attracting Londoners - particularly younger people in their 20s and 30s.

I have no railcard as not old or young enough, and none of the others are much good to me or most people I know, and so why would we ever go Kent and pay 4 times what it costs to go just about every other county or large town surrounding London? So hardly anyone I know does - they go Oxford, Cambridge, Norwich, Brighton, Bath, and coastal like Weymouth etc. It has been so much cheaper on other TOCs like GA or Southern.

With decent advances I will now look at going Canterbury, Margate etc.

Last edited: 31 May 2015
  24. jopsuk

jopsuk Veteran Member

if you travel a lot off-peak on TOCs in the London area, why don't you have a railcard?

25. SF-02

SF-02 Member

Not many seem that useful. I don't travel with kids, and the two together requires the same 2 people at all times. I had a gold card but no longer as I don't have a season ticket anymore. If there was a standard card I could buy then I would, as there is in many other countries. As it is, advances do a great job with most TOCs.

26. Mojo

Mojo Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Network Railcard?

27. infobleep

infobleep Established Member

Be great if they offered advance fares across different Southeast companies. So an advanced fare from Guildford to Hastings for example or Guilford to Canterbury. Until they do I'm less likely to use an advanced fare ticket unless traveling west or north from Reading or north from London..

I don't head to Kent much. I do t know if I'd head there more if advance tickets existed. Perhaps it wouldn't make any difference.

Last edited: 1 Jun 2015
  28. GatwickDepress

GatwickDepress Established Member

Just got sent an email by Southeastern advertising their new fares.

29. clagmonster

clagmonster Established Member

Interesting that Maidstone - London is cheaper on the high speed than the classic lines.

30. Medicy

Medicy Member

Is there any reason you can only buy these advance tickets for Southeastern trains on their website?

I had some vague idea that only promo fares could be restricted to a TOC's own website - barring technical limitations like with sleeper & international tickets - but there doesn't seem any reason these shouldn't be offered through other ticketing websites?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.