• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starting a new career in the rail industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I recently applied for a Position with a local TOC for a senior conductor, having passed the assessment day tests, progressed to the interview stage which is when I was informed my application had been un-successful.

If any one could offer any guidance on alternative positions that could help me start my railway career that would be greatly appreciated

I live in Wolverhampton and can easily get to Wolverhampton station, New street Station, Moor street station, and local stations including stourbridge for example.

Any jobs you may be aware of if you could post here, or send them via a direct message would really help

Thanks

Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Supertrains19

Andrew,

You need to register with all the TOCS that operate in those areas and set up a reminder to check weekly as sometimes the email alerts don’t come Through or end up in your junk mail.

West Midlands railways and chiltern spring to mind for your area but also network rail for BHM, they recently a few months ago where looking for dispatchers which is a good start to get your foot in the door.

im sure people on this forum do post adverts for jobs but by the time they do they could be already taken down due to large responses, the railway is hard to get into so you’ve done well to get the interview, don’t forget for other companies you may well have to take tests again as depending on which TOC you went for they may use different tests to others and different roles have different tests.

good luck

Thanks @Supertrains19 I am currently registering now for local TOC in the area, and had never considered a Dispatchers position, as was not aware of the position, but I can now pursue that avenue also, if anyone has any other Job Titles that I may be overlooking please let me know, thanks in advance

Amanda

To be honest, I just check my local TOC's job vacancies regularly and look at ALL their jobs being advertised. I read what's required of the job ad and decide if I want to apply for it, whether it's station- or office-based. That's how I work out which jobs I want to apply for. People can tell you "what roles to look out for" but you may be limiting yourself, unless you are set on a particular role (it doesn't sound like you are).

thanks @Amanda I am looking for station or on-board positions, as offices are not a place I wish to work, yes there warm and dry but there fixed and get repetitive in my experience, Outdoors is my preference

Red1980

Thanks @Supertrains19 I am currently registering now for local TOC in the area, and had never considered a Dispatchers position, as was not aware of the position, but I can now pursue that avenue also, if anyone has any other Job Titles that I may be overlooking please let me know, thanks in advance

It's a pretty important position to be fair and one very much to be aware of when going for a conductor position. Before you start applying for jobs, especially the ones that are safety critical I'd make sure you do a bit of research of what's out there and what it entails as there may be questions about them in interview environments. Not knowing what a dispatcher is when applying for a conductor position is quite a bid deal that's all.

Best of luck mate.

Hi @Red1980 it is a learning curve for me so every bit of insight, criticism is greatly appreciated!, sure need to get a broader knowledge base for those all important interview questions.

Red1980

Hi @Red1980 it is a learning curve for me so every bit of insight, criticism is greatly appreciated!, sure need to get a broader knowledge base for those all important interview questions.

Definitely not criticism mate if you didn't know you didn't know. But yes definitely mate the broader your knowledge of the industry you have going into an application the better.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Andrew

Hi mate. As you live in the Midlands I would also check the First Group Careers site as the new TOC replacing Virgin appears to be basing their operations in Brum and London from the jobs I've seen advertised. I'm sure there'll be further vacancies coming up once they go live on the 8th December.

CJ

Definitely not criticism mate if you didn't know you didn't know. But yes definitely mate the broader your knowledge of the industry you have going into an application the better.
L

Will surely take everything on board, pardon the pun

Andrew

Hi mate. As you live in the Midlands I would also check the First Group Careers site as the new TOC replacing Virgin appears to be basing their operations in Brum and London from the jobs I've seen advertised. I'm sure there'll be further vacancies coming up once they go live on the 8th December.

CJ

I have recently applied for an on board member with virgin trains, and station member based at Birmingham,

also I’ve had a look at network rail, but you need to find jobs advertised on external agency’s websites the link then in my experience takes you to the network rail application portal, but can’t find the same job on network rails website.

Any opportunities for the following I am Pursuing.

Conductor
Dispatcher
Gate line assistant
On board host

Any other positions / job titles I know the better my chances are of finding a position

Thanks

OneLowban

Any interest in driving? Not sure what TOCs are near you but just thought I’d mention it because a lot of people don’t bother trying but you have to be in it to win it.

Any interest in driving? Not sure what TOCs are near you but just thought I’d mention it because a lot of people don’t bother trying but you have to be in it to win it.

That’s a good shout there, I was thinking of career progression but like you say you have to be in it to win it, these vacancies are highly popular I’d assume, and would require experience? Or in your experience have people applied direct for train driver and got the position?

baz962

Established Member
That’s a good shout there, I was thinking of career progression but like you say you have to be in it to win it, these vacancies are highly popular I’d assume, and would require experience? Or in your experience have people applied direct for train driver and got the position?
Loads of driver's were straight off the street. Only one person on my course had railway experience. Couple of ex cab drivers, office worker . Other courses had an estate agent, ex police , ex sales.

OneLowban

I was in the bus industry before the railway and had a variety on my course, coach driver, police, engineer, betting shop.

Loads of driver's were straight off the street. Only one person on my course had railway experience. Couple of ex cab drivers, office worker . Other courses had an estate agent, ex police , ex sales.

I will be sure to keep my eyes open for any driver opportunities that may become available, recently trans penine trains were recruiting and I understand they had over 8000 applications which is a huge number, also they don’t operate within 60 minutes of my location, I think that freight trains may be an option to peruse thought also

I was in the bus industry before the railway and had a variety on my course, coach driver, police, engineer, betting shop.
Quite a variety of previous roles there, I have managerial experience as was a house builder and also retail experience from being a store manager for 5 years. I’ve recently applied for a bus drivers job with West Midlands bus’s so May get something there, but a career in the rail industry is something I really want to peruse

OneLowban

Quite a variety of previous roles there, I have managerial experience as was a house builder and also retail experience from being a store manager for 5 years. I’ve recently applied for a bus drivers job with West Midlands bus’s so May get something there, but a career in the rail industry is something I really want to peruse
It’s been said on here many times, you just need any experience to be able to answer the test questions, doesn’t have to be railway or even buses (although this would obviously be easily transferable), loads of people have had experiences in life/work that are great answers for interview questions.

I’ve specifically said about interview questions as the rest of the process is psychometric/computer tests. There’s loads of info and help on here too.

It’s been said on here many times, you just need any experience to be able to answer the test questions, doesn’t have to be railway or even buses (although this would obviously be easily transferable), loads of people have had experiences in life/work that are great answers for interview questions.

I’ve specifically said about interview questions as the rest of the process is psychometric/computer tests. There’s loads of info and help on here too.

I answered the questions to the best of my ability, but maybe got a little bit to relaxed in the interview, so that’s the only thing I can think of, also I failed to answer in the star method as mentioned in email correspondence, I will continue to apply for relevant jobs as mentioned above in this post, I have applied with freight line also and another position with WMT

Thanks

Andrew

Emmsie

I answered the questions to the best of my ability, but maybe got a little bit to relaxed in the interview, so that’s the only thing I can think of, also I failed to answer in the star method as mentioned in email correspondence, I will continue to apply for relevant jobs as mentioned above in this post, I have applied with freight line also and another position with WMT

Thanks

Andrew
Did you ask for feedback, they will give it to you if you email them, in fact I went for an interview for a position I had applied for previously and the interviewer recognised me and asked if I had requested feedback. I hadn't but I was pretty confident that it was my waffling that did for me and in my 2nd interview I'm pretty sure I was much better, I only drifted into waffle once or twice. Practice the STAR technique and frame your answers according to that, also obs don't waffle, if the interviewer requires you to elaborate further they will ask.

Did you ask for feedback, they will give it to you if you email them, in fact I went for an interview for a position I had applied for previously and the interviewer recognised me and asked if I had requested feedback. I hadn't but I was pretty confident that it was my waffling that did for me and in my 2nd interview I'm pretty sure I was much better, I only drifted into waffle once or twice. Practice the STAR technique and frame your answers according to that, also obs don't waffle, if the interviewer requires you to elaborate further they will ask.

Hi @Emmsie I was told last Thursday which was two days following my interview, I have requested interview feedback and currently awaiting a reply, I did practice the star method but strayed away from it during the interview. I will be sure to stay on track next time with answering the questions. I really want to start a career within the rail industry and will continue to apply for positions as they are advertised. Feel like a stalker, constantly checking back to sites to check for job listings but as many have said the job notification option is not always accurate

Thanks

Andrew

Emmsie

During the interview you are getting points, and the person with the most points gets the job subject to a minimum, STAR gives you the best opportunity to maximise your points total, you must use it.

During the interview you are getting points, and the person with the most points gets the job subject to a minimum, STAR gives you the best opportunity to maximise your points total, you must use it.

Thanks for the information, I’m constantly learning about the rail recruitment process and it’s down to the many members of this forum that are most helpful and supportive!

I am also looking into network rail as station customer service member, and gateline opportunities if I can find some, also dispatchers roles. So my knowledge is growing just need to nail this STAR method and maintaining focused in interviews and I will have a better chance of success

Thanks

Andrew

dabollicks

To be honest I’d never even heard of the STAR method until I started reading these forums. Info I got from here served me well as I passed my MMI 3 weeks ago. Just try and prepare yourself as best you can, this forum is a goldmine for information

To be honest I’d never even heard of the STAR method until I started reading these forums. Info I got from here served me well as I passed my MMI 3 weeks ago. Just try and prepare yourself as best you can, this forum is a goldmine for information

This forum is sure a goldmine and full of helpful people who are happy to offer advice and input!. The star method was a new one for me also and something I’m surely going to improve on for any further interviews, well done on passing your MMI not sure what that is but well done!, I passed my group bourdon test and my conductor assessments which I’ve been told are valid for 5 years, so can surely utilise these results for further applications.

Somebody posted this for me in another thread.

Thanks @Emmsie i will be sure to keep my eyes open for more of these, and watch them and get more of an idea of what’s needed/expected. At the rate I’m applying for jobs I’m hoping to get more interview experience soon.

Thanks

Andrew

Have passed an on-line assesment with GWR, not sure when I will progress to the next stage, but will surely take on board everything mentioned above, and ensure the STAR method is used for all questions asked, Anyone currently working for GWR here?, It is a position for Customer Ambassador.

Status
Not open for further replies.