• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starting at Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairbear75

After applying in Jan 2014 for the position of Trainee Train driver at Brighton depot, I've just recieved my contract and starting training on 22 June!
Many thanks to all who have posted advice on this forum, it has been an invaluable source for me getting through the process.
Is there anyone else on here with a start date of 22 June at Croydon?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Congratulations mate! I applied recently for a trainee driver job for Southern, not heard anything as yet. Did it take a while to hear back on your initial app?

Hairbear75

Congratulations mate! I applied recently for a trainee driver job for Southern, not heard anything as yet. Did it take a while to hear back on your initial app?

Yes, there's certainly nothing speedy about the process!
I think after applying in Jan '14 they got back to me in March to tell me that they have had a large response, then in May to tell me I'd been successful and put into a pool to await an assessment day, then in July to tell me that they had recruited all the trainee drivers for 2014, but I should hear from them by the end of Oct with an assessment date to be first choice for 2015 trainees, which I never did! Then in the new year I started sending e-mails to enquire what was going on, which eventually got me my assessment day in March.
Good luck with your application, hang in there, and just soak up the advice on here.

Yes, there's certainly nothing speedy about the process!
I think after applying in Jan '14 they got back to me in March to tell me that they have had a large response, then in May to tell me I'd been successful and put into a pool to await an assessment day, then in July to tell me that they had recruited all the trainee drivers for 2014, but I should hear from them by the end of Oct with an assessment date to be first choice for 2015 trainees, which I never did! Then in the new year I started sending e-mails to enquire what was going on, which eventually got me my assessment day in March.
Good luck with your application, hang in there, and just soak up the advice on here.

Cheers mate. All the best with your new journey

Mr Douglas

Congratulations!

I have had mixed feedback as to whether I should contact them.

I submitted my application for Trainee Driver in August 2014. For my most convenient rail station, I put down Stratford International. I received an email in January of this year saying that my application passed the screening process. They said that their recruitments needs are under constant review and they will keep me on hold until they can proceed with my application.

I am not sure whether to contact them or not. Does it look like I am interested and keen or does it look like I am nagging?

Well done to you and best of luck for the future.

Hairbear75

Congratulations!

I have had mixed feedback as to whether I should contact them.

I am not sure whether to contact them or not. Does it look like I am interested and keen or does it look like I am nagging?

Well done to you and best of luck for the future.

I don't think it will hurt to contact them, but don't be surprised if you don't hear back. Just don't constantly badger them. If you don't hear back, just be thankful that you are still in the running and use the time to scour this forum for advice on the assessment day, and interviews.
If after another couple of months if you still haven't heard anything contact them again.

As I said above, it's a drawn out process, but if you're offered a position, then it's more than worth it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.