• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starting journey at unstaffed station with rail travel voucher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

Next week, I'm planning on travelling from Waterbeach to Berney Arms, changing at Ely and Norwich.

The fare is £11.75 with a young persons railcard. I will have to pay the £12 minimum fare, as the first train leaves before 10am.

I want to part pay with £10 of Rail Travel Vouchers, but the station only has ticket machines. I rarely travel by train for leisure now, so I will get little chance to use these before they expire, so I cannot save them for future use. Additionally, I cannot get to a staffed station before my date of travel (it is over 3 miles away from my home).

What is the correct thing to do? Board a train without ticket at Waterbeach and buy at Ely? Or should I buy a ticket to Ely (£4) then somehow seek a refund of the £2 "over payment" at Ely? I can't see the latter option making me very popular at the ticket office, but the former won't make me popular with a RPI.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
What is the correct thing to do? Board a train without ticket at Waterbeach and buy at Ely?
Yes. There was no way to purchase your ticket before boarding since you wish to pay with RTVs.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
One way that you could show your intent if you encounter an RPI is to prefill the form on the back of the RTVs with your origin, destination and journey date before you board the first train

Veteran Member
Years since I used that line - I assume that there are no on board ticket sales?

Veteran Member
Great Northern are all DOO.

Rather as I thought. In which case Ely (time permitting) or on the EMT/GA connection (where time does not permit) are both OK - but the latter is more likely to cause hassle, see the disputes forum ad nauseam.

Status
Not open for further replies.