• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starting out (looking for advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS90

Afternoon folks,

Been browsing a few months, my first post here and i'm just here looking for a bit of advice regarding starting out on the rails (Operative Role)

I've been interested in working on track for a few years and started applying for entry level roles last year, but with no previous track experience or PTS, i've been struggling, a few weeks ago i passed all the assessments and got invited to an network rail interview for an operative role at sheffield, i believe there were 3-4 positions, i spent the week prior looking up the non technical skills and linking them to my past previous work experience.

I got an e-mail a few days later explaining my interview had been unsuccessful, so got in touch for feedback, interview went well but my lack of PTS let me down as the other applicants had it, i've been looking at contractors within yorkshire to see if i can get sponsorship and fund the PTS course myself but all roles i find require it already, i'm a bit lost at what to do from here and i'd be grateful for any advice anyone could provide.

Thanks,
Jamie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carbers255

Jamie,

The maintenance function within Network Rail is really difficult to join unless you have experience and PTS/track induction etc.
You might secure an interview but it is rare to get a role without experience. Outside of NR then it is a total f**k up with contractors and maintenance. There are firms that will take you without experience but you may need to finance your own PTS etc. If you get in with a contractor then research how you'll get paid and if you require an umbrella company to deduct your tax commitments.
I'm a bit out of sync with the contracting process but I'm sure loads of much more experienced lads will help via this forum - they will prob tell you I'm talking s**t! I'm simply quoting from experience and having a zero hours contract with promises of work that never materialise. If you want to progress then I'd stay away from contractors. Look at other roles within NR then get yourself a foot in the door. Internally you can potentially look to branch out and expand your horizons. Look at other roles near to you, maybe stations and see if you fancy any of those. Another area where external candidates do get a good chance is Signaller's posts. Good luck with everything

Last edited:

JS90

Thanks for the pointers carbers, i have had similar advice about contractors, but also have a mate who's with a contractor and gets regular work, i suppose it's luck of the draw. I don't have an issue funding my PTS, it's the sponsorship side of it i was struggling with, i'm gonna call a few training centres tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.