• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starting short at Milton Keynes Central - allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I have just booked tickets to visit Bletchley Park in October. I couldn't find accommodation nearby so have booked a hotel in Milton Keynes. However I unthinkingly booked Advance train tickets from home to and from Bletchley.

On the day of our return home, it seems a bit pointless to travel to Bletchley only to come back to MKC, but on looking at a station map it seems there are ticket gates at the entrance to the platforms.

What's the chances of being allowed to start our journey at MKC, even though the tickets are from BLY? Are the station staff likely to be accommodating in the circumstances, if we explain our reason?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
In my experience the people at MKC are okay (I've accessed the platforms to meet people arriving many times as an example) though as you know they're under no obligation to let you through. An alternative would be just to buy a single to Bletchley to operate the gates

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Officially you are not allowed to do this, but I would be very surprised if you were questioned. If your connection from Bletchley happens to be the Southern service, given the utterly awful reliability of this it is probably a very good idea.

trainophile

Established Member
Officially you are not allowed to do this, but I would be very surprised if you were questioned. If your connection from Bletchley happens to be the Southern service, given the utterly awful reliability of this it is probably a very good idea.

Oh dear, that sounds ominous. And from a local too! :lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh dear, that sounds ominous. And from a local too! :lol:

More than ominous. DO NOT under any circumstances rely on the Southern service on the WCML for connecting to anything at MKC. It gets cancelled if someone breathes on it.

If you end up with that (it's unreservable so it should only appear as a suggested connection) take the LNR service before it.

Last edited:

alastair

I have just booked tickets to visit Bletchley Park in October. I couldn't find accommodation nearby so have booked a hotel in Milton Keynes. However I unthinkingly booked Advance train tickets from home to and from Bletchley.

On the day of our return home, it seems a bit pointless to travel to Bletchley only to come back to MKC, but on looking at a station map it seems there are ticket gates at the entrance to the platforms.

What's the chances of being allowed to start our journey at MKC, even though the tickets are from BLY? Are the station staff likely to be accommodating in the circumstances, if we explain our reason?

You may already know this, but don't forget you get 2 for 1 entry to Bletchley Park upon presentation of a rail ticket at the pay desk. You need a voucher which you can download here :https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/bletchley-park . Entry is £18.50 so very worthwhile saving.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm sure it wasn't your intention, but that did make me laugh! Not so funny when you're actually caught up in it I guess.

No worries :) It was a serious warning (the Southerns are uselessly unreliable, there is at least one cancellation every single day pretty much, usually more) but if it made you laugh why not :)

trainophile

Established Member
You may already know this, but don't forget you get 2 for 1 entry to Bletchley Park upon presentation of a rail ticket at the pay desk. You need a voucher which you can download here :https://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/bletchley-park . Entry is £18.50 so very worthwhile saving.

Ohh noo... I bought the tickets online at the same time as the trains and hotel :( . The website said something about special advance booking rates. I must admit I did it all in a rush and didn’t bother to check for any offers. Drat! :(

causton

Established Member
Take up smoking...

(Don't...)

The easiest way to get in/out of any barrier where BOJ might have not been allowed is...
"Mind if I pop out for a smoke?"
and
"I just had a cigarette can I come back in?"
:lol:

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Take up smoking...

(Don't...)

The easiest way to get in/out of any barrier where BOJ might have not been allowed is...
"Mind if I pop out for a smoke?"
and
"I just had a cigarette can I come back in?"
:lol:
You'd have to be making a lot of start lates and/or stop shorts for it to be financially worth it to start smoking :D! But yes the wholesale ban on smoking on railway land is a benefit in more ways than is immediately obvious...

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You'd have to be making a lot of start latest and/or stop shorts for it to be financially worth it to start smoking :D! But yes the wholesale ban on smoking on railway land is a benefit in more ways than is immediately obvious...

It can also help that most retail on railway premises is outside the barriers. MKC is no exception.

trainophile

Established Member
I did think of saying we had just popped out to get something to eat on the (rest of the) journey, but I figured that if the same gate staff have been on for a couple of hours they would probably realise that wasn’t true.

As there’s no cost benefit to starting short, I might just play the confused pensioners card, and hope we pass the attitude test.

I gave up smoking 26 years ago and have no inclination to take it up again!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I would be very surprised if you had a problem. This is the same MKC whose barrier staff have been seen several times saying "I can let you out here but it'll cost you a Penalty Fare, or you could just go back to the platform and go back" to people who had overtravelled rather than just getting the pad out straight away. Mind you, there was a lone RPI at Bletchley this evening (unusual for them not to be in teams) with a well-used PF pad sat on top of the barrier in readiness :D

It's also the same MKC whose ticket office has sold me tickets from Bletchley which did not allow Break of Journey when I was quite obviously going to use them to start short (but then go back to Bletchley on the return).

Status
Not open for further replies.