• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Starting short on Caledonian sleeper ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRX

Established Member
There are two of us, we have advance purchase tickets from Fort William to London on the sleeper but a change of plans means that one or both of us will have to start the journey from Edinburgh rather than Fort William.

Does anyone know if it would be problematic to pick up the train at its late night stop in Edinburgh, using those tickets? Or will we have to buy completely new ones.

Plus a secondary question: we are travelling on a disabled railcard, so both of our tickets are discounted. One possibility is that one of us could start the journey in Fort William, with the other (the railcard holder) joining the train at Edinburgh. Am I thinking this would mean that the non-railcard holder's ticket is invalid for the FTW-EDB section as they would not be accompanied by the railcard holder (even though they could show that two tickets were purchased for the journey)? If so, would it be a simple matter of paying the difference for what the ticket would have cost without the discount, or again would it be a whole new ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jb

Unless I'm mistaken Edinburgh is not a booked (public) stop on the Highland. I'm not sure you can join it at all from Edinburgh. For sure there is shunting around both of stock and passengers, but still...

Zoidberg

Established Member
Unless I'm mistaken Edinburgh is not a booked (public) stop on the Highland. I'm not sure you can join it at all from Edinburgh. For sure there is shunting around both of stock and passengers, but still...

The Fort William to London Euston timetable seems to confirm this - the train seems to keep to the west, not touching Edinburgh.

http://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/def...om_Scotrail_Sleeper_product_guide_2012_V3.pdf

Fort William
Spean Bridge
Roy Bridge
Tulloch
Corrour
Rannoch
Bridge of Orchy
Upper Tyndrum
Crianlarich
Ardlui
Arrochar & Tarbet
Garelochhead
Helensburgh Upper
Dumbarton Central
Dalmuir
Westerton
Preston
Crewe
London Euston

jb

The Fort William to Euston timetable seems to confirm this - the train seems to keep to the west, not touching Edinburgh.

Oh it physically goes to Edinburgh all right (as do all three Highland portions). If you're seated from Fort William you have to move coaches.

It's just that I'm not sure boarding there is permitted.

Zoidberg

Established Member
Oh it physically goes to Edinburgh all right (as do all three Highland portions). If you're seated from Fort William you have to move coaches.

It's just that I'm not sure boarding there is permitted.

Ah, thank you - what a circuitous route!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Starting short on Advance tickets, particularly at a station that it does not pick up at (or even officially call at) could result in a hefty excess fare, my advice would be to contact Scotrail and ask them if they are okay with you doing it, if so you would at least have some come back if staff onboard disagree.

BRX

Established Member
Yeah, I suspect the fact it's not an official pick-up point will be a problem. I'bve emailed scotrail to see what they say.

Altnabreac

Established Member
One option might be to board at Westerton or Dalmuir.

You can leave Edinburgh Waverley at 21.51 on a direct train to Dalmuir arriving at 23.35 giving a 16 minute connection into the sleeper leaving at 23.51.

You can also pick up this train by getting the 22.00 via Falkirk but for my mind you're better off getting the direct train.

This is for Mon - Fri trains. For Sunday you'd want to leave Waverley at 20.40 arriving Dalmuir 22.20 and leaving at 23.05.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think hairyhandedfool's advice is the best you will get. Get in touch with Scotrail and if you explain your circumstances then they might well make an exception. As Edinburgh is not an advertised stop (the three portions join up there so will physically stop) this will also allow the company to inform relevant staff that someone will be joining there (if agreed to) rather than giving them a nasty surprise on the day.

As you have an Advance fare joining at Westerton without notice is also officially not permitted without a hefty excess, so the advice again is to get in touch with Scotrail.

Altnabreac

Established Member
Edinburgh Waverley is an advertised stop for setting down seated passengers with an arrival time of 00.50 http://www.scotrail.co.uk/timetables-routes/1801/1821/2012/winter

I have often used the sleeper from Edinburgh to travel both to and from the West Highlands for a day on the hills.

It is not however a timetabled stop for picking up sleeper passengers.

As BB21 says though, you would need permission from Scotrail to start short at either Edinburgh, Westerton or Dalmuir so seek their permission for either option.

IainH

About 2 years ago I joined this train at Edinburgh, having a berth booked from Helensburgh. No problem, all the doors are opened when the portion arrives, although the attendant was a little suprised.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The only passengers able to officially board at Edinburgh [EDB] are those who come off the Fort William [FTW] seated portion and are travelling to Preston [PRE], Crewe [CRE], or London [EUS]. They will normally be reserved into the Aberdeen [ABD] portion from EDB.

Unless the guard on the FTW portion has contacted the guard on the ABD portion to inform him of a no-show at FTW I would not envisage any major problems boarding at EDB. Please note however the station officially closes at 00:45.

This would only apply to the seats though. It is unlikely that you would be permitted to board a sleeper, without prior authority, as to do so may inconvenience other sleeping passengers in the adjacent compartments.

Status
Not open for further replies.