• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Answered) Starting Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver2B

Hi all!

I wonder if people can answer a few questions about trainee train driver training, particularly the first few days/weeks.

* What do people wear on day 1? I'm thinking formal black trousers and a casual shirt? Or would some wear shirt and tie, or shirt and jacket?

* When would we get a uniform? On day 1 to wear on day 2? Or later?

* I'm also thinking about travel. I believe I'll get a staff travel pass for free travel on that TOC on day 1? My journey will involve buying a season ticket with another TOC to get part of the way to training school and work. I understand that such an application has to be authorised by RDG RST for a voucher to take to a station to buy the season ticket? How long does this usually take?

I know I would hope that the TOC would tell me this, and they might decide to at the last minute, but still haven't to date.

Thank you in advance for your advice. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
Job driver2B, congrats on the new job!

1. I’d personally wear smart trousers and a shirt. Not necessarily a tie though. Then let them guide you as they’ll soon tell you to dress down if they’d prefer. Rule of thumb is generally smart casual, no jeans or trainers.

2. Depends on the TOC (which TOC is it for you?). Usually you’ll go to uniform stores as part of your corporate induction. At SWR this is (or was) over two days. The first day is the corporate stuff where they introduce you to the company, the second day was with HR etc making sure your payroll details are correct and stuff.

3. You’ll get a temporary travel pass whilst you await your permanent one. You’re entitled to PRIV rate season tickets, but you probably need to do this thing with the ticket office because you’ll only have a temporary pass? Can’t say for sure as I’ve never needed to take this route.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Driver2B

Job driver2B, congrats on the new job!

1. I’d personally wear smart trousers and a shirt. Not necessarily a tie though. Then let them guide you as they’ll soon tell you to dress down if they’d prefer.

2. Depends on the TOC (which TOC is it for you?). Usually you’ll go to uniform stores as part of your corporate induction. At SWR this is (or was) over two days. The first day is the corporate stuff where they introduce you to the company, the second day was with HR etc making sure your payroll details are correct and stuff.

3. You’ll get a temporary travel pass whilst you await your permanent one. You’re entitled to PRIV rate season tickets, but you probably need to do this thing with the ticket office because you’ll only have a temporary pass? Can’t say for sure as I’ve never needed to take this route.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hi @Stigy!

Thank you so much for your response! :) It helps hugely! Great to hear an opinion and experience from somebody else!

1. Wouldn't want to just wear trousers and shirt if many others had ties or jackets! But agree probably trousers and shirt is satisfactory.

2. Great to know that I'll get uniform on day 1! (Saves me rushing out clothes shopping!) I guessed the first couple of days might be "admin" and corporate induction.

3. I'm sure they'll tell us about travel on other operators, and if not, I'm sure I could force a voice to come out of my mouth and ask. It's not the end of the world paying for non-PRIV travel for a week if necessary!

Thanks again for your helpful response! :)

6opher

Hi @Stigy!

Thank you so much for your response! :) It helps hugely! Great to hear an opinion and experience from somebody else!

1. Wouldn't want to just wear trousers and shirt if many others had ties or jackets! But agree probably trousers and shirt is satisfactory.

2. Great to know that I'll get uniform on day 1! (Saves me rushing out clothes shopping!) I guessed the first couple of days might be "admin" and corporate induction.

3. I'm sure they'll tell us about travel on other operators, and if not, I'm sure I could force a voice to come out of my mouth and ask. It's not the end of the world paying for non-PRIV travel for a week if necessary!

Thanks again for your helpful response! :)

I would wear a shirt and tie. You are going to be a professional driver so start as you mean to go on. That's what was said to me and I agree with that and all of us have a tie on every day.

I'm on week 7 of my training. I haven't had full uniform yet so it depends which TOC you are with. I had safety boots, hi Viz, torch, goggles early on as needed to go on depot and had some trousers last week. I'm mainly classroom based and everybody in the company is having new uniform so trainees in a classroom aren't high priority and rightly so.
Had my travel pass after about a week and my discount card for other TOC's about 2 weeks ago.

Hope that helps.

LFC78

Have they mentioned when you can take Annual Leave once started? Guess you need to be at every course for first few months?!

Anders99

Hi all!

I wonder if people can answer a few questions about trainee train driver training, particularly the first few days/weeks.

* What do people wear on day 1? I'm thinking formal black trousers and a casual shirt? Or would some wear shirt and tie, or shirt and jacket?

* When would we get a uniform? On day 1 to wear on day 2? Or later?

* I'm also thinking about travel. I believe I'll get a staff travel pass for free travel on that TOC on day 1? My journey will involve buying a season ticket with another TOC to get part of the way to training school and work. I understand that such an application has to be authorised by RDG RST for a voucher to take to a station to buy the season ticket? How long does this usually take?

I know I would hope that the TOC would tell me this, and they might decide to at the last minute, but still haven't to date.

Thank you in advance for your advice. :)
The TOC I work for didn't give any travel until about 3 weeks into training, no temporary, nothing. So I wouldn't expect to receive anything on the first day to be on the safe side.

I'd dress smart, no jacket, but shirt and tie. Definitely no jeans and trainers. We all received our uniform on the first day.

Guess it depends on what TOC you work for, but seems you're keeping quiet on that one so you're going to get varying responses.

Bigfoot

I think you'd know more if you said which toc you are due to start with.

Driver2B

I would wear a shirt and tie. You are going to be a professional driver so start as you mean to go on. That's what was said to me and I agree with that and all of us have a tie on every day.

I'm on week 7 of my training. I haven't had full uniform yet so it depends which TOC you are with. I had safety boots, hi Viz, torch, goggles early on as needed to go on depot and had some trousers last week. I'm mainly classroom based and everybody in the company is having new uniform so trainees in a classroom aren't high priority and rightly so.
Had my travel pass after about a week and my discount card for other TOC's about 2 weeks ago.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that! I have always previously wore shirt and tie, and that doesn't bother me. I just don't want to be too over-dressed. Might wear shirt and tie on the first day, and if others do, too, I'll continue. Otherwise dress like the smartest other trainee.

Surpirsed that you're on week 7 and still haven't got uniform yet - but as the whole company are getting new uniform, that does figure!

Did you get a temporary permission to travel on your own TOC from the start. My travel on another TOC isn't much, but the journey to the training school is quite an expensive journey on my own TOC! Anyway, I'll talk to recruitment on Monday to clarify this, I think.

Thanks again for your response.

Driver2B

Have they mentioned when you can take Annual Leave once started? Guess you need to be at every course for first few months?!

No, they haven't mentioned when I can take annual leave yet. But I knew I was embarking on training and it would probably be at least a few months so I haven't booked anything or made plans. To be honest, it's not something I'm too worried about - just happy to be there! :)

Stigy

Established Member
Thanks for that! I have always previously wore shirt and tie, and that doesn't bother me. I just don't want to be too over-dressed. Might wear shirt and tie on the first day, and if others do, too, I'll continue. Otherwise dress like the smartest other trainee
That’s what I’d suggest is best. No point continuing to wear a tie if it’s not required. Once you’re out of your initial couple of days and in to driver training with one or two regular trainers, if you haven’t had a uniform by then, they will probably tell everyone to dress comfortably (using the who ‘no jeans or trainers’ rule) as business attire really isn’t necessary.

Driver2B

The TOC I work for didn't give any travel until about 3 weeks into training, no temporary, nothing. So I wouldn't expect to receive anything on the first day to be on the safe side.

I'd dress smart, no jacket, but shirt and tie. Definitely no jeans and trainers. We all received our uniform on the first day.

Guess it depends on what TOC you work for, but seems you're keeping quiet on that one so you're going to get varying responses.

Thanks for your response.

I am surprised about no travel - even on that TOC and even for getting to and from work for 3 weeks! I'll check with recruitment on Monday. About £35 per day on travel to and from training school is quite hefty, but if it has to be done, it will have to be done.

Thanks, somebody else said shirt and tie so I think I'll do that, certainly on day one! I have always wore shirt and tie in previous jobs so it's something I'm well-used to. My main concern really was that I wasn't the guy in shirt and tie when others came in in jeans and t-shirt!

Last edited:

Driver2B

That’s what I’d suggest is best. No point continuing to wear a tie if it’s not required. Once you’re out of your initial couple of days and in to driver training with one or two regular trainers, if you haven’t had a uniform by then, they will probably tell everyone to dress comfortably (using the who ‘no jeans or trainers’ rule) as business attire really isn’t necessary.

Thanks a lot, @Stigy !

We have a plan! :)

Llama

Established Member
Smart but not formal surely. Try not to be a Will McKenzie...

Driver2B

Smart but not formal surely. Try not to be a Will McKenzie...

Ha ha! Don't want to be Will McKenzie! That's exactly why I started this thread. However, the concensus seems to be that shirt and tie would be appropriate and @PU6HY said that they all have a tie on every day, so I think that's what I'll go with ... at least at first!

Thanks for your message.

driver9000

Established Member
Your employer normally provides free travel from day 1 of employment. The national PRIV card isn't issued until at least 4 weeks service. I would be amazed if they make you pay each day to travel to/from work. Seek clarification from the HR department of your employer. Although it's some time since I went through training all I had to do on my first day was show the Conductor the letter showing my start date as proof that I was employed by them. I was issued a temporary pass in the classroom and obviously that was the procedure at the time.

Did you fill a travel facilities form in when you got your contract pack in the post?

Driver2B

Your employer normally provides free travel from day 1 of employment. The national PRIV card isn't issued until at least 4 weeks service. I would be amazed if they make you pay each day to travel to/from work. Seek clarification from the HR department of your employer. Although it's some time since I went through training all I had to do on my first day was show the Conductor the letter showing my start date as proof that I was employed by them. I was issued a temporary pass in the classroom and obviously that was the procedure at the time.

Did you fill a travel facilities form in when you got your contract pack in the post?

Yes, I thought that the TOC would provide free travel to and from work at least from day one, and that's the most expensive part of getting there and back. The shorter journey on another TOC doesn't bother me too much! I will seek clarification from recruitment on Monday.

The contract hasn't been completed yet. They've said they'll do it this week but have confirmed my start date as definite. Hopefully I'll get a travel facilities form with that!

Thanks for confirming thoughts about TOC's own travel - I think they'll provide that (they did for all assessments and interviews, even).

Thanks again.

6opher

Thanks for that! I have always previously wore shirt and tie, and that doesn't bother me. I just don't want to be too over-dressed. Might wear shirt and tie on the first day, and if others do, too, I'll continue. Otherwise dress like the smartest other trainee.

Surpirsed that you're on week 7 and still haven't got uniform yet - but as the whole company are getting new uniform, that does figure!

Did you get a temporary permission to travel on your own TOC from the start. My travel on another TOC isn't much, but the journey to the training school is quite an expensive journey on my own TOC! Anyway, I'll talk to recruitment on Monday to clarify this, I think.

Thanks again for your response.

I didn't get anything temporary. TBH, it suited me to jump on the bus the first week as we had our induction in a hotel and my bus was right next to it. Others had to travel from further afield but it was sorted within a week so wasn't that much of a problem. The way I look at things are 'it is what it is' and I was so happy to finally get on my course I was prepared for whatever. In the long term it will all be worth it. It's nice having the travel pass now though.
As mentioned, not having uniform whilst in class isn't a big deal (would be nice to have it so I don't have to wear my own gear) so can wait. Should have it in next few weeks ready for when we start going out with our instructors though so happy to wait for it.
Enjoy your course. It's a lot of work and keep on top of all your home based work. Good luck.

Driver2B

I didn't get anything temporary. TBH, it suited me to jump on the bus the first week as we had our induction in a hotel and my bus was right next to it. Others had to travel from further afield but it was sorted within a week so wasn't that much of a problem. The way I look at things are 'it is what it is' and I was so happy to finally get on my course I was prepared for whatever. In the long term it will all be worth it. It's nice having the travel pass now though.
As mentioned, not having uniform whilst in class isn't a big deal (would be nice to have it so I don't have to wear my own gear) so can wait. Should have it in next few weeks ready for when we start going out with our instructors though so happy to wait for it.
Enjoy your course. It's a lot of work and keep on top of all your home based work. Good luck.

Thank you very mcuh! :)

Rammstein

Sorry to hijack this one, but what would be the scenario for internals starting training? Is wearing your uniform ok or is it still a case of smart stuff until you get driver uniform?
Cheers

Established Member

Unless you're at South Eastern which is 6months for PRIV according to RST

Joliver

We didn't receive any free travel for 3 weeks at my TOC. PRIV card gets posted to home address after 4/5 weeks. You then have to apply for a season ticket, all details are with the accompanying letter. Definitely turn up in business dress for the first day, unless otherwise instructed.

7241N

I am yet to start training with my TOC. Starting on the 21st.
Even for assessments and interviews I could use emails from the toc to get free travel on their trains. So I'd like to think I'd get free travel from day 1. Only time will tell.

Railweigh

Got my travel pass on day 1. And nobody wore a tie on my course, just shirt and trousers until uniform came (a few weeks after starting).

Anders99

If you're travelling on your TOCs service then yes, of course you'd get free travel from day one. You may also get free travel with another TOC if they share the same routes. If you're awaiting an oyster card or need to travel on a completely different route to what your TOC provide then it's a waiting game. For us it was at least.

Aivilo

Don't assume you will get free travel. Thats why many have asked which TOC. Pay for you ticket and get it reimbursed

Driver2B

Sorry to hijack this one, but what would be the scenario for internals starting training? Is wearing your uniform ok or is it still a case of smart stuff until you get driver uniform?
Cheers

It's okay to join in!

I'd say wear your uniform as you have it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.