• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

State of train toilets

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
You are obviously not a HST appreciator then! The HST vestibules are quite possibly the best place on any train in Britain. Droplights with 125 running? Awesome!

No, no, I quite like HST's - they are nice trains. :)

The only things I don't like are:
  • There are no overhead reading lights in either class
  • The are no table lights in First Class
  • The vestibules are far too loud - which is particularly annoying when you're in the quiet carriage and have to make a mobile phone call
  • The main doors are not automatic (it is annoying having to put your arm out of the window each time, and forces trains to wait longer at stations)
  • Because the main doors aren't automatic, they have windows, which people often forget to close (sometimes the windows open by themselves) - this creates a lot of noise and a draft in the carriages (especially when the automatic inter-carriage doors are jammed open)
  • The automatic inter-carriage doors are very temperamental - sometimes they don't close at all (which is even more annoying when you take into account the loud vestibules)

As I said, HST's are trains, but do seem to be falling to bits. Their life span could be extended much further - but only if they had a major refurbishment.

I still have a slight preference for Pendolinos, but am not denying that HST's are better in many ways.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
ALR - You must be the only person who needs those lights, they're bloody pointless! As for the doors, that's the whole experience!

Blindtraveler - :lol:

SS4

Established Member
It is really that hard to expel faeces at home?

Compared to a 323 the toilets at BHM are well worth the 30p but compared to a 390 they are not.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I think the DfT have completely lost the plot with the IEP - I mean, 5 car trains on an InterCity route!!! :o

My ideal train would be a Class 390/InterCity 225 crossover. Basically:
  • An 11-car EMU
  • 4 First Class carriages
  • 7 Standard Class carriages
  • Almost ALL seats lining up with the windows, in both First and Standard Class
  • The First Class kitchen like on a Pendolino (tucked away at one end of the train)
  • The Standard Class buffet like on a Pendolino (at one end of the middle Standard Class carriage)
  • A door separating the seating area from the Standard Class buffet (like on a 221) to keep the seating area quiet (Coach C is never very quiet on a 390!)
  • Three "large luggage" storage areas at the end of a carriage (one in First Class, two in Standard Class), separated from the seating area by a door
  • Because there are plenty of "large luggage" storage areas, there would be no more areas to store large luggage (only overhead racks for small luggage) - if you have large luggage, you would be able to request a seat in the "large luggage" carriage
  • SIX disabled access toilets (one for every carriage except the one with the First Class kitchen, the one with the Standard Class buffet, and the three "large luggage" carriages)
  • Mallard-style seating (it's MUCH better than Pendolino-style seating)

Does anyone think they would like such a train?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
ALR - You must be the only person who needs those lights, they're bloody pointless! As for the doors, that's the whole experience!

Blindtraveler - :lol:

Well I do read a lot, and find FGW's HST's to be extremely dark at night, including in First Class! :)

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Compared to a 323 the toilets at BHM are well worth the 30p but compared to a 390 they are not.

The toilets at Manchester Piccadilly are well worth it, to avoid the 142 toilet with its aforementioned issues. :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
)
[*]NINE disabled access toilets (i.e. one for every carriage except the one with the First Class kitchen, and the one with the Standard Class buffet - who can complain when it's 11-car anyway!)

Does anyone think they would like such a train?

Too many disabled toilets, one for almost every carriage is overkill IMHO and has taken up valuable seating and luggage space on the Voyagers. I know a few people who would rather avoid the automatic contraptions!

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'd happily pay 30p a time for well-kept, modern toilets at stations than get horrid ones with p*ss all over the floor for free.

I used the ones at Cardiff Queen St today. I think there was sh*t in one of the urinals and a thrown up pasty in the sink - which I had to use!

WestCoast

Established Member
I'd happily pay 30p a time for well-kept, modern toilets at stations than get horrid ones with p*ss all over the floor for free.

Paying a small amount for (clean, well kept) toilets is something I don't mind. It's strictly a British thing to complain about. I've paid up to 1 Euro to go to the toilet in continental Europe. The toilets were very posh though! :lol:

All Line Rover

Established Member
Too many disabled toilets, one for almost every carriage is overkill IMHO and has taken up valuable seating and luggage space on the Voyagers. I know a few people who would rather avoid the automatic contraptions!

Your criticism has been taken into account - I have amended the "specification." :)

I have a personal preference for disabled toilets myself - there is more space to move around, and you can fit your suitcase inside! (This is particularly important when you have valuables in your suitcase, such as a laptop.)

SS4

Established Member
Your criticism has been taken into account - I have amended the "specification." :)

I have a personal preference for disabled toilets myself - there is more space to move around, and you can fit your suitcase inside! (This is particularly important when you have valuables in your suitcase, such as a laptop.)

I too prefer disabled toilet, when you're 6'1" it comes in handy being able to move more freely and make use of the facilities. It's also used for changing, especially in summer.

WestCoast

Established Member
I too prefer disabled toilet, when you're 6'1" it comes in handy being able to move more freely and make use of the facilities. It's also used for changing, especially in summer.

I'd say around 3-4 disabled toilets per 11 carriage train would be OK, and I'd insist that they were clearly labeled, so that people that needed/wanted to use such facilities could easily find them. I have nothing against disabled toilets at all, it's just that they do take up a considerable amount of space, which could be used for additional seating or luggage racks. The Voyager displays this problem very well.

On a different note, if you think the cubicle toilets are small on trains, you haven't seen the ones on small aircraft! They are tiny, barely enough room to turn around! :lol:

lemonic

I find the toilets at St Pancras very good, especially considering they are free which is virtually unheard of for a London terminus.

Lampshade

Established Member
I was on a Northern 158 heading to York in April and the toilet absolutely REEKED. Also the 180s seem to be treated by Northern as *just* another train, the disabled toilets are in a very sorry state now.

Turbocharger

I think the operators should approach the matter in the way McD's and similar eateries and pub/bars. Have a designated pooper trooper who has to sign a chart on the wall of each w/c with the time and date.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Do you mean on a Pacer where sometimes the door doesn't shut properly, never mind lock which means only male passengers use it?

Another problem for men using Pacer toilets is that it can be difficult to maintain an accurate aim for the loo if the track is a bit rough. Have inadvertently splashed my shoes more than once on a Pacer.

Royston Vasey

Established Member

I used the ones at Cardiff Queen St today. I think there was sh*t in one of the urinals and a thrown up pasty in the sink - which I had to use!

Ah come on now, there's no need to p*ss in the sink!! ;)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Give me a c142 toilet anyday of the week compared with going in Man Vic Toilets. Piccadilly I quite like though; well worth 30p

The only toilets out there that don't actually fearure toilets! They were in the room to the left, long closed now. There was quite often flooding too.

Personally, I would rather £10m be spent on improving the toilets and platforms rather than the roof!

I personally, have never had much trouble with train toilets. Except the odd strong smell of concreted urine, vomit and faeces! I don't get why people also feel the need to urinate on toilet seats and on the floor? All in a days rail travel eh? Chiltern Railway's toilets are normally clean.

Matthew
:D

Blindtraveler

Established Member
whats northern done or not done to result in 180 bogs being a bit below standard? i had a cupple of years back to take issue with them about t,ere 158 fleat when I was using it regularly on the S and C - too many times both were locked OOU

trainophile

Established Member
Are train aisles wide enough to push a wheelchair through, if the occupant requires use of the disabled toilet and it is not in the same carriage?

exile

Established Member
The ultimate toilet experience is on a ferry in a force 8 gale.....

pemma

Veteran Member
Are train aisles wide enough to push a wheelchair through, if the occupant requires use of the disabled toilet and it is not in the same carriage?

Which type of train are you referring to? On a 158 or 185, for instance, the designated wheelchair space is next to the toilet so it's not critical. On a 150, it is critical that at least half of the toilet vehicle has seating that will allow a wheelchair through.

Lampshade

Established Member
whats northern done or not done to result in 180 bogs being a bit below standard? i had a cupple of years back to take issue with them about t,ere 158 fleat when I was using it regularly on the S and C - too many times both were locked OOU

It's because Northern don't give them any special treatment, the 180s are treated as just another train like a 142, when they need a fair bit more work than the average Northern crock.

Status
Not open for further replies.