Statement of Funds Available Published

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Mordac, 12 Oct 2017 at 12:49.

1. Mordac

Mordac Established Member

https://www.gov.uk/government/speec...ing-statement-of-funds-available-2019-to-2024

Statement itself here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...005-statement-of-funds-available-2017-web.pdf

I bolded something i thought particularly important.

2. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

CP5 was about £38bn IIRC? Not sure if that was the network grant, if so then CP6 has been reduced.

3. BantamMenace

BantamMenace Member

For those of us not within the industry what does this actually mean?

Is it just a budget that Network Rail has to spend over the next 5 years?

Who is responsible for determining how this will be spent (e.g. Electrifications, Platform extensions, Station/Junction remodelling, etc.) and when will announcements on these specifics be?

Is there any underlying, non-public, shopping list behind this budget that will be drip-fed to the public over the coming years?

4. Old Hill Bank

Old Hill Bank Member

Most of the money is for maintenance and like for like renewals forget any major enhancements in that number and if The Planner is correct and it is a reduced number to CP5 it may not be good news.

5. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

https://www.globalrailnews.com/2017...pledges-47-9-billion-funding-to-network-rail/

I think this explains how enhancements will be funded.

6. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

I believe the £38 billion included everything and so therefore this figure might be higher....

Didn't the £38bn also include enhancements whereas this only includes deferred enhancements so could it be viewed as an increase. I am just trying to find out the original statement of funds for CP5.

7. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

As far as i can tell the network grant was only £20 billion for CP5....

8. Olaf

Olaf Member

The final figure for the direct grant agreed in October 2013 between the ORR, Network Rail and DfT for CP5 was GBP 38.3 Billion (2013 figures).

The equivalent in 2017 figures would be somewhere between GBP 40 and 42 Billion.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2017 at 15:24
  9. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    up overall but dependent on reaching a "stretch" target on funding via ( for eg) the sale of more of the property portfolio. Direct grant is £34.7bn

10. Olaf

Olaf Member

Yes. Network Rail has so far not achieved any recovery of the GBP 1.6 Billion it was required to find as part of the interim settlement.

However, the scope of the provisional GBP 34.7 Billion is not going to be the same as in CP5.

11. Olaf

Olaf Member

That cut is approximately inline with the 15% average spending reduction that was imposed on other departments.

12. CdBrux

CdBrux Member

Isn't this just "operations, renewals and maintenance" plus some deferred CP5 enhancement projects that pass a value test (with other enhancements to be developed and funded outside CP process) vs CP5 which was "operations, renewals and maintenance" AND enhancements, of which the enhancements were around 12 or 14bn?.
    Which of the CP6 numbers is comparable to the CP5 of 38bn, is it the total 47.9bn or the government grant of 34.7?

13. Mordac

Mordac Established Member

This is a good article summarising the differences:
    https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2017/10/13-network-rails-public-funding-limits.html

14. HowardGWR

HowardGWR Established Member

Mr Smith should try using correct English; 'less delay' but 'fewer delays'. There is an important difference.

15. IanXC

IanXC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

*bangs head against brick wall*

Transport Focus really are clueless aren't they? Of course we can make more and more services operate on time on the same infrastructure, no need for capacity increasing schemes that he clearly paints as being extravagant irrelevancies.

16. GRALISTAIR

GRALISTAIR Established Member

Overall - I was pessimistic but am feeling a lot better after this. Not doom and gloom.

17. HowardGWR

HowardGWR Established Member

Perhaps it's not so bad. I assume that the capital part will include all the 'deferred' schemes and only omit the 'cancelled' ones (e.g. MML, Lake district and Swansea). I do have qualms over recalculation of BCRs for parts of schemes that originally had BCRs for entire routes (e.g. the two Bristol join up bits to Parkway and Thingley Junction). If the entire routes were worth doing, so they are now. That goes for the cancelled ones too of course, as it happens. MML had a very high BCR for its entirety before someone put these stupid notions into Grayling's head.

18. CdBrux

CdBrux Member

well if the B does not change and the C does so the answer will change!

19. Chris M

Chris M Member

I think the point was that if you calculated the BCR of electrifying London to Swansea as positive, cancel the Cardiff to Swansea section, and then recalculate the BCR for electrifying between Cardiff and Swansea using the new costs that's not the same as recalculating the BCR of electrifying London to Swansea with the new costs. The BCR of the former approach will be much lower than the latter because the costs will be the same but the benefits significantly less.

20. Olaf

Olaf Member

We will not know until about this time in 2018, and direct comparisons will be difficult - as evidenced by a number of incorrect assumptions made in the media.

Factors to be considered:
    • Finalised scope of areas to be covered by this fund,
    • Funds already announced and/or committed which will be counted as part of this total,
    • Industry cost changes between now and October 2019,
    • Impact of changes to interest rates on costs of funding,
    • The final figure for the CP5 cost over-spend/under-delivery - last estimate was that this might come out at about GBP 2.6 Billion,
    • Resolution of the interim settlement,
    • Details of what will be done about NR debt,
    • Impact of changes to "structure of delivery" between now and CP6.

Last edited: 14 Oct 2017 at 20:03