• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class195

I've moved property recently where my back garden now runs out onto the train station. It's only in the early mornings and late evenings that it's become noticeable that the station announcements are ridiculously loud.

Is there anything I can do to try and get Northern to turn them down? Could they be at a higher than acceptable volume or are all stations announcements set at the same decibel level?

Before anyone asks, I didn't notice how loud the announcements were before I moved into the property.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
Which station is it?

I know Salford Crescent has extremely loud announcements.

A polite letter to their customer services department will probably suffice. I know some stations elsewhere in the UK reduce the volume between 10pm or 11pm and 6am or 7am.

Do you have any neighbours? If so maybe they’ll be able to advise too.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Nowadays I believe they are adaptive and set at a certain level above ambient sound levels. I don't know how standardised the level above ambient they are set at.

As for getting them turned down I have no idea how cooperative Northern is. I've written to Great Western in the hope that they will adjust announcement volumes before and recieved little more than a "comments noted" reply without them doing anything.

Tio Terry

Los of modern PA systems have automatic volume controls that sense ambient noise and raise the level of announcements to ensure they can be heard above ambient levels. During peak periods it's quite possible that the volume of announcements is being automatically raised.

If the PA system is also used as an evacuation system then the sound quality has to also be at an acceptable level and of adequate quality for emergency announcements to be understood, but this is only in emergencies should not be a real problem to you.

The design of the PA system will be a major issue. There are regulations to control the amount of sound pollution overspill that is considered acceptable and the positioning and direction of sound from loudspeakers will have a significant effect, sometimes careful repositioning of speakers can overcome the issue.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Raise the issue with your local council's environmental health department - they will have far more clout when it comes to raising the issue with the station operator.

tspaul26

Established Member
You also have the option of making a complaint to the local magistrates’ court under the Environmental Protection Act, but you will need supporting evidence.

Keep a noise diary of when you are bothered by the noise and describe the character of it. For example: “thumping bass noise from the nightclub woke me up and lasted until 4am - impossible to get back to sleep”.

tspaul26

Established Member
Los of modern PA systems have automatic volume controls that sense ambient noise and raise the level of announcements to ensure they can be heard above ambient levels. During peak periods it's quite possible that the volume of announcements is being automatically raised.

If the PA system is also used as an evacuation system then the sound quality has to also be at an acceptable level and of adequate quality for emergency announcements to be understood, but this is only in emergencies should not be a real problem to you.

The design of the PA system will be a major issue. There are regulations to control the amount of sound pollution overspill that is considered acceptable and the positioning and direction of sound from loudspeakers will have a significant effect, sometimes careful repositioning of speakers can overcome the issue.

Need to be careful with systems of this type due to the Noise Act which is also based on the prevailing noise levels.

Established Member
Most stations are not as complicated as the systems described above. When I was stations, there was a sensor that raised the volume if there was lots of background noise at the beginning of the announcement (and kept that volume for the duration) yet if you knew where to look on the equipment rack there was a volume dial for each zone of the station. No time-based volume controls but was turned off between certain times, with only manual and emergency announcements working.

Class195

Which station is it?

I know Salford Crescent has extremely loud announcements.

A polite letter to their customer services department will probably suffice. I know some stations elsewhere in the UK reduce the volume between 10pm or 11pm and 6am or 7am.

Do you have any neighbours? If so maybe they’ll be able to advise too.

It’s Low Moor, so one of the new stations that have opened recently.

The announcements for the 22:04 and 22:11 to Bradford and Leeds canbe heard over the TV.

route101

Established Member
Noticed how far the announcements at Glasgow Central can be heard. City has been much quieter

Parallel

Established Member
It’s Low Moor, so one of the new stations that have opened recently.

The announcements for the 22:04 and 22:11 to Bradford and Leeds canbe heard over the TV.

I can’t see it being an issue for Northern to reduce them. Plenty of other stations on that route have quieter announcements. If it’s a new station, Northern may not have gauged what is an acceptable level for the area.

Class195

I can’t see it being an issue for Northern to reduce them. Plenty of other stations on that route have quieter announcements. If it’s a new station, Northern may not have gauged what is an acceptable level for the area.

I’ve sent them an email, so hopefully something can be done about the announcements in the early morning and late evening.

londonmidland

Established Member
Most new stations now have full coverage of the P.A system. So they'll have installed P.A speakers on pretty much every lamp post right from one end of the platform to the other.

As mentioned, it's also used in emergencies so I assume the rules and regulations are a lot stricter than what they used to be regarding coverage.

lammergeier

I actually think that living within earshot of the incessant garbage that gets pumped out of station PA's these days would be far more annoying than the sound of trains themselves. I'd happily live next to a railway line but not within earshot of a station. Good luck.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Could be poor speaker placement as well, which isn't always obvious until late at night. I never hear announcements at Leeds (I'm north of platform 1), although I can't hear the announcements on platform 16 either, even when they're announcing the train arriving on platform 16.

I only ever hear the Inspector Sands announcements (10am, every Wednesday), but I could just about hear them from my office on Wellington Street back in the day as well. Which is probably the point.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Speak to the TOC & Council about it. I am aware of several stations (primarily in London) that have noise abatement plans before 0600 / after 2300.

Some manual announcements come out louder than the automated ones as it is harder to equalise. Also at larger stations, it can really depend on which direction the speakers are pointed and your relative position. Therefore the sound can be louder in different parts of the station. Also if the station is busy, the automated announcements adjust to increase in volume. That's no benefit if you're away from the station.

Class195

I’ve counted the amount of speakers on the platform that face my garden and there are eight in total. Does this sound excessive?

PupCuff

I'm aware the following might come across as mansplaining, but the specifics aren't important, or at least it can be saved for another thread. It's very difficult to say whether eight speakers is excessive as acoustics and issues around noise are a lot more than simply the number of speakers; consideration has to be given to volume, direction, placement of the speakers themselves, surfaces which the audio can bounce off or be absorbed by, as well as surrounding issues such as noise from trains or a nearby factory etc. It may be that a larger number of speakers were used deliberately so the volume from each individual speaker could be lower to still give the desired audibility across the station.

The audio signal itself (in this case, the train announcement) is also relevant - when we're talking amongst ourselves, we don't speak at a consistent volume, so there will be natural bits in our speech which are quieter (troughs) and bits which are louder (peaks). Pre-recorded audio will often have been processed after recording (or indeed possibly at the point of delivery by the PA system) to adjust the signal so that the peaks are made quieter, the troughs are made louder which gives the perception to the listener that the audio is 'louder' even though actually the volume is the same ('compression').

Additionally, the levels may be adjusted to increase or decrease at a certain audio frequency ('equalisation'), for instance a radio presenter may have their system set up to increase the audio signal level at the lower frequencies to give them a nice bass-ey radio voice whereas a train announcement might actually want to reduce lower frequencies and amplify the higher ones because the train announcer needs to be audible over loud, bass-ey diesel engines which may be sitting in the platform. The problem with this then is that denser materials (and train stations will often have concrete/tarmac etc platforms, buildings, walls etc) reflect higher frequencies better than lower ones so the audio may echo, further adding to the noise problem.

Ultimately there's an expectation that whoever you live next to, whether that be a nightclub or a railway station, they'll do their bit to minimise noise issues for their neighbours. Indeed, if Northern conform to ISO14001 they should be using noise complaints as a KPI and have procedures in place to investigate these in the same way they would if you were to complain that their trains were discharging oil into your garden or somesuch. Whilst living next door to a railway station you should expect a certain degree of railway related noise it's not unreasonable to challenge excessive noise where even perhaps simple mitigations like repositioning speakers etc may make a difference. As has been noted upthread, it's also certainly possible to install systems which measure the ambient noise and alter the volume of the announcements based on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.