• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station announcer at Crewe yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whhistle

On Moderation
Why do some stations have announcers and/or tannoy systems that are patently not suitable for purpose?
Because they can't sack them?
These days, if someone is rubbish at their job / can't do the job as the company expects, that isn't grounds to get rid of them. Shame.

And what would you know about this man? He cannot help they way he speaks...
Perhaps not but why put someone with a suspected speech impediment in a position that requires they talk (nearly) constantly?
That's like putting someone who uses a wheelchair in a position which uses stairs or ladders :roll:

He - and all station announcers - should take lessons from the lady at Fenchurch Street station. Lovely clear modulated voice with impeccable ennunciation.
That reminds me of the lady announcer at Leicester in the early 2000's. Very good indeed.

PR1Berske

Established Member
If somebody isn't up their job, they should be retrained to the best of the company's abilities.

"Sack your way to employment" is a Tory ideal which stinks to high heaven.

crosscity

I have to do announcements from time to time especially concerning late trains and when Anne doesn't give a reason yet its known why the train is delayed.

These announcements are only done when the ppm threshold has been crossed ie over 5 late for locals and over 10 late for long distance services.

Now you have to bear in mind; sometimes when I speak, I do speak with a Lancashire accent even though I work and live nowhere near Red Rose country - this is because my mother and maternal grandparents used to live there.

This man has had the courage to say he is the person making the announcements. Shame on those of you who have sniped and called for him to be sacked or implied that he is protected by his terms and conditions. He sounds like a decent and proud bloke, doing his best. I've never had a problem understanding him - and I'm from Yorkshire!

In the 70s the announcer had a regional accent too. I always remember him calling 'Crewe, Crewe Station, Crewe' as a train arrived. It got you ready for the meat of the announcement - i.e. what train it was and its calling points, much like the ding, ding, ding thing. You knew where you were, too! Any chance of the Crewe man re-instating it? It would be just like old times!

Michael.Y

Established Member
He's said nothing of the sort. He's only said that in his line of work that he has to make announcements. He hasn't said that he's the one at Crewe station. Crewe in fact IS quite near Red Rose country.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Personally I don't I don't know what the fuss is! I understand him quite clearly (and I spend quite a few hours at crewe over say a month. However the lady who does the announcements as well seems very endearing I would love to meet her lol. She sounds so polite and well mannered.

crosscity

He's said nothing of the sort. He's only said that in his line of work that he has to make announcements. He hasn't said that he's the one at Crewe station. Crewe in fact IS quite near Red Rose country.

You are right - I made an incorrect assumption. Nowadays Crewe is around 40 miles from anywhere in Lancashire, so is hardly close by (I suggest the nearest station in Lancashire to Crewe is Upholland).

However I'd still like the announcer to start with 'Crewe, Crewe Station, Crewe'!

Established Member
On the subject of manual announcements, Ely still has trains manually announced by the member of staff on duty in the control room there. Seems to be perfectly adequate, I actually did them for a day whilst on work experience with NXEA last year, which was fun :)

trainophile

Established Member
Spent an hour in Crewe again yesterday, totally different bloke doing the announcements, who was clear as a bell and sounded like he enjoyed doing his job!

All those who say they disagree with my original comments might have been listening to the same chap, as there was no comparison with the mumbler.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I've been on Crewe station more times then I care to remember, and can safely say I have no problem at all with the 'mumbler', usually it's the surrounding noise from passengers that's a bigger issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.