• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LUYMun

Trains from this station used to also run to Cannon Street, but after competition from the London Underground, services ceased as a wartime measure in 1916.

SteveyBee131

Another station served daily by HSTs from two operators is Sheffield, albeit East Midlands Trains and Cross Country, rather than ScotRail and LNER.

Springs Branch

Established Member
With 12.9 million entries & exits, ORR statistics ranked Cardiff Central the 33rd busiest station on the national network in 2017/18.
Next in the league table at 34th position (with 12.6 million punters, according to ORR) was Farringdon.

LUYMun

The Metropolitan Railway (now Metropolitan line) was the first underground (metro, subway, etc) in the world, opening in 1863. It was first ran from Farringdon to Paddington before quickly expanding within the next few years.

Springs Branch

Established Member
In post #1 the Quizmaster Mojo set a precedent with his illustrative example of quiz rules saying ".... the next person would reply Kings Cross" (no London and no apostrophe), so I suppose there is no requirement where the station is not ambiguous.
If you were posting Charing Cross or Waterloo, of course, the addition of "London" would be beneficial if that's the one you meant.

Stratford (London) is also served by TfL Rail.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In post #1 the Quizmaster Mojo set a precedent with his illustrative example of quiz rules saying ".... the next person would reply Kings Cross" (no London and no apostrophe), so I suppose there is no requirement where the station is not ambiguous.

Indeed that is the case and a subtle reminder that contributors should read the rules/guide note section on the very first posting on this thread....:oops:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Are we supposed to use the prefix of London on all the main line stations in the capital city that are managed by Network Rail?

If it's self-explanatory I don't think it really matters, as I think we all know what we're referring to. Obviously a notable exception would be Waterloo as there's London Waterloo and Waterloo in Merseyside.

Strood is also a terminus for trains from Tonbridge.

Nearby Rochester is also a Southeastern-managed station with three platforms.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If it's self-explanatory I don't think it really matters, as I think we all know what we're referring to. Obviously a notable exception would be Waterloo as there's London Waterloo and Waterloo in Merseyside.

Did you see my posting # 15590? Incidentally, the rules section on the very first posting on this quiz states that Gatwick Airport railway station is managed by Network Rail which is incorrect.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The only services calling at Earlestown on Sundays are on the Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Airport / Wilmslow and Manchester Piccadilly to Chester routes.