• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
Latest news is that on 02/02/2016 Felix, the Huddersfield station cat who is employed by TPE has been purr-moted to Senior Pest Controller and given a high viz vest. Felix had already been provided with a cat-flap (with cat logo) to enable entry and exit to the station proper without needing to submit a ticket at the barriers. Felix also has own facebook page.

Which other stations have a cat on the payroll and is Felix the highest ranking cat in the land?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johncleesefan

There's big tom at Yeovil mechanical signal box ( on the station) I think he's a part time bobby now and due for retirement

MrCub

I like station cats. Until very recently St Albans had one. He had been missing from his home in London for three years. Passengers and staff looked after it, bought him food, and he ruled platform 1 like a kingdom with access all areas. Passengers would often be seen sat with him. The story goes that a passenger offered to take him to the vets and there they discovered a microchip and so were able to reunite with owner.

The cat had a wonderful calming effect on the passengers too. Kettering seems to have a stationc at too, and there is a long history of heritage lines having station cats. There's one at Loughborough on the GCR who is a bit of a personality and wonders around the engine sheds quite happily.

RPI

Established Member
There's Hector at Redruth, has his own Facebook page

mikeg

Established Member
There's a lovely cat with only three legs at Thirsk, though it does seem to hang out there only when the weather is nice. That said I haven't been to Thirsk station for over a month. Don't know if it's on the payroll as such, but receives a generous ration of Lidl cat food pouches from one of the ticket sellers there.

jamesst

Bromborough has a much looked after ginger cat which is still going strong.
Liverpool South Parkway also has one, even after the best efforts of a station manager to get rid of it!

EveningStar

Do not forget the famous, and sadly late, Tama (3000 attend elaborate funeral for Japan's feline stationmaster).

The banker drivers mess room at Bromsgrove in the 1970s (when one was a lad trainspotting there) always had resident cats, some of whom shared their time with the adjacent Garrington's factory. The drivers would talk about a cat who once refused to be dislodged from the bogie of a banker, did the round trip to Blackwell and was thereafter known as Hymek.

Established Member
As a kid I had a tortoise called Hymek, went about as fast.

Sadly no activity on Wendy the Wivenhoe station cat's Facebook page since 2011.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There was one at Northallerton and we have a ferral one living near Fenny Stratford station. It keeps the pests down and knows to look both ways before crossing the line!

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Grove Park depot has a black and white mog who jumps up onto the shed window sill when requiring attention. Think its quite young.

plymothian

Digby and Sowton's likes to sit atop the TVM judging people who don't buy a ticket.
Not seen him/her for a while though - must be too cold and wet.

Monty

Established Member
Not really a station or depot cat, but the fella is around often enough he should be! There is a ginger tom that is a regular visitor to Staines station. To my knowledge owner lives in one of the flats that overlooks the station, but he seems to be at the station more often than not! :p

Last edited:

Antman

Established Member
Grove Park depot has a black and white mog who jumps up onto the shed window sill when requiring attention. Think its quite young.

I think Grove Park have a long standing tradition of station cats, my uncle worked there back in the 70's and they had a station cat then and thoroughly spoilt he was too

cin88

Not on the mainline but the ELR had a station cat at Bury Bolton Street called Hymek.

tsr

Established Member
There's a cat which hangs around Gipsy Hill in the morning rush hour. I don't think it's a station cat as such, but is well-known nonetheless.

physics34

Established Member
There's a cat which hangs around Gipsy Hill in the morning rush hour. I don't think it's a station cat as such, but is well-known nonetheless.

Is it still there? It was becoming a celebrity and I thought it was gonna be stolen.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
There used to be Bruno at Effingham, an affectionate monster of a cat, although he's long departed this world though.

He was really sad and lost when they closed the depot there. :(

telstarbox

Established Member
I've seen the same cat more than once on the up platform at Borough Green & Wrotham, not sure if it's an 'official' one or just lives in the vicinity.

cambsy

On Moderation
Not a station cat, but Tiverton Tesco has Mango the cat, has Facebook page too, see him regularly and is famous locally.

Crossover

Established Member
Seen Felix around Huddersfield a few times - sometimes she leaves p1 and have seen her in the cess crossing to the island, too.

I did also once see the one at Liverpool South Parkway, sat on top of the glass "fence" under the heater with the barrier attendant (I should note, the barrier attendant was not sat on the fence :P). I can well imagine they will have a calming influence too - wonder how they cope with the drunks :P

Established Member
Hmm.. well, there is a vacancy at the top of FTPE.

Meowaging Director Vermin Biter.

I'll go now. :P

Camden

Established Member
Only been through this station a handful of times but a while back I saw a cat at Liverpool South Parkway who seemed to be a station cat. Once it was curled up by a heater, and another time it was sat on top of the barriers towards the MerseyRail. The barriers were open so I showed it my ticket as I went through.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Oh dear, just googled to see if I could find anything about it
"Liverpool station cat Paul in the doghouse after biting security guard" http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-south-parkway-station-cat-4694490

I'm definitely on "Paul's" side, seemed perfectly amiable when I saw him.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Is it still there? It was becoming a celebrity and I thought it was gonna be stolen.

GIP
Still around. It has appeared in artwork and greeting cards by local artists.
Usually to be found on P1 under the canopy or in the waiting room if wet /windy or if cold and dry warming herself / sleeping on top of one of the the oyster readers by the side gate (if sleeping the reader can't be used).

http://lovemeow.com/2015/10/cat-rail-station-give-passengers-cuddles/

Not the first cat at GIP either...

Status
Not open for further replies.