• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crawley Ben

I seem to vaguely recall a cat being present at Pulborough station on the Arun Valley Line in Sussex many years ago when I used to commute from there. Also seem to vaguely remember seeing said cat behind the ticket office window on occasions.

Also recall seeing a cat wandering around Grosmont Shed area when I visited the North York Moors Railway for the Flying Scotsman event in 2017. Would that be the same cat as mentioned earlier in the thread I wonder?

Cheers

Ben

bearhugger

Also recall seeing a cat wandering around Grosmont Shed area when I visited the North York Moors Railway for the Flying Scotsman event in 2017. Would that be the same cat as mentioned earlier in the thread I wonder?

Cheers

Ben
Here's my photo of the cat at Grosmont shed. Not sure if it's the cat mentioned earlier in the thread though.

Adlington

a cat wandering around Grosmont Shed area when I visited the North York Moors Railway [...] in 2017. Would that be the same cat as mentioned earlier in the thread I wonder?
Definitely not. I took the photo of the grave (posted earlier) in 2015.

Committee man

My parents cat died of kidney failure without warning a couple of years ago. I wonder if anti-freeze was the culprit (or whether the kidneys are a weak spot generally in felines).

I lived in a station house for over 30 years and when we moved there in 1969 we brought our cat 'Fluff' (not very original I know!) with us. Lovely friendly cat and although he never went on to the platform (it was and still is a working station) he did like a wander round the old goods yard. One day about 18 months after we arrived one of the platelayers told us he had found him dead after being hit by a train. Very sad day.
Some time later a stray appeared so we took him in. He was white and compleatly deaf. I assume he relied on vibrations to alert him to danger, consequently he managed to avoid the trains despite wandering over the line. 'Dillan' lived to a good age dying of kidney failure so yes maybe a weakness.
So not really a station cat as is being discussed here but one that lived on a station.

johntea

Established Member
I finally met Felix!

Amazing how many passengers seemed totally oblivious to his presence or the world!

Attachments

• ACC1B9D1-3EF2-41C2-AC70-8D3DE394A476.jpeg
    ACC1B9D1-3EF2-41C2-AC70-8D3DE394A476.jpeg
    739.4 KB · Views: 248

londonbridge

Established Member
Sadly the vet concluded that the best course of action is/was to put her to sleep, the update doesn't say whether this has been done yet. They raised £720, some of which will go towards a plaque with the remainder going to an animal charity. I've been through Tonbridge a few times and saw her at least once.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I lived in a station house for over 30 years and when we moved there in 1969 we brought our cat 'Fluff' (not very original I know!) with us. Lovely friendly cat and although he never went on to the platform (it was and still is a working station) he did like a wander round the old goods yard. One day about 18 months after we arrived one of the platelayers told us he had found him dead after being hit by a train. Very sad day.
Some time later a stray appeared so we took him in. He was white and compleatly deaf. I assume he relied on vibrations to alert him to danger, consequently he managed to avoid the trains despite wandering over the line. 'Dillan' lived to a good age dying of kidney failure so yes maybe a weakness.
So not really a station cat as is being discussed here but one that lived on a station.
As I understand it, most all-white cats are deaf and they are predominantly male: similarly, tortoiseshell cats are almost all female.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Sadly the vet concluded that the best course of action is/was to put her to sleep, the update doesn't say whether this has been done yet. They raised £720, some of which will go towards a plaque with the remainder going to an animal charity. I've been through Tonbridge a few times and saw her at least once.

Very sad - our much loved rescue cat had a similar cancer , so we had to let her go with dignity. The heartening thing is that many people assisted with the cause. Let us hope they can get another cat to cheer up everyone's daily commute and working environment. RIP Catto.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Not really a station or depot cat, but the fella is around often enough he should be! There is a ginger tom that is a regular visitor to Staines station. To my knowledge owner lives in one of the flats that overlooks the station, but he seems to be at the station more often than not! :p

Had a rare grub break at Staines this year and yes I saw him there.Lovely friendly cat.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Very sad news (as a passenger who's used Tonbridge over several years)

How about using the funding to provide some bedding/vetinary help for Tonbridge's next cat ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Black Lake tram station (West Bromwich) appears to have a station cat.

Confused147

Its great to see all these cats taking over our stations. I wonder if they could run the trains aswell? Probably get a better service if kitty was in charge.

stuart100100

RIP Owen

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/new...ail-customers-gutted-popular-station-14483721

Merseyrail customers 'gutted' as popular station cat passes away
The rail company officially announced the news at a station
JS147837600.jpg

Merseyrail Station cat Owen, from Bromborough Station has passed away aged 17. Staff say he'll be 'sorely missed'
Merseyrail staff have paid tribute to a popular station cat who died earlier this week.

Staff and commuters from Bromborough Station in Wirral have expressed their sadness that Owen, a ginger tabby well-known to people who travel from the Wirral town,
Owen was a regular site for those who used the station - with many dropping off food and donating money towards his upkeep over the years.

He is thought to have been around 17 years old when he passed away.

The sad news was announced in a message which was placed in the kiosk at Bromborough station.

It read: “It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Owen the station cat.

“Owen sadly passed away peacefully over the weekend. He will be sorely missed by all of us - staff and customers

“May we just take this opportunity on behalf of all the station staff to thank all of our customers for all your generous donations towards Owen’s health and wellbeing over the years.”

One Merseyrail customer Tweeted: “We are gutted to learn that Owen, the Merseyrail Bromborough station cat passed away at 17 on March 30.”

Last edited:

John Luxton

Established Member
I visited the Bodmin and Wenford Railway the other week - the first time in 9 years and spotted this memorial to "Simba"

I presume this is a cat memorial recent or old does anyone know?

matacaster

On Moderation
TPE have employed a new Huddersfield trainee pest controller to eventually take over from Felix. Bolt is 8 weeks old. Brilliant example of succession planning!

DJames

Black Lake tram station (West Bromwich) appears to have a station cat.

Are you sure that's not just a local cat that's wandered out onto the tram stop? All of the Metro stops are unmanned so it's not like any of them can care for a cat and provide for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.