• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Disassociation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
My presence has been requested by a regular presence to clear things up.

Please make sure that, as far as is reasonably practical, all responses are an association that you would expect to exist that in reality does not. To give an example, and to lead on from my answer of Barrow, there is a through service at both ends of Barrow to local(-ish) cities, albeit not necessarily courtesy of an InterCity service. One would assume the same would be true of Bury St Edmunds, and indeed formerly it was true, but not so at present.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Using the same description for Bury (expect it to have longer distance services), you would expect Combe Halt to have a limited local service not to any major cities: now indeed the first point is true but alas, it has services to London and Worcester, which certainly aren't local.

You would expect Waterloo to be staffed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
See post #2!

ValleyLines142

Established Member
You would expect Waterloo to be staffed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
See post #2!

So is my last post valid? As I'm contradicting by saying that Waterloo WOULD be staffed, unlike Coombe? Sorry I might a bit slow, wine may have taken over me!!

The point of the game is the next station you go to you would expect it to/not to have something the last station has but does. E.G you would expect Wakefield Kirkgate to be staffed however it isn't while a much smaller station like New Pudsey is. You can have waterloo if you bear this in mind. You may expect waterloo to have a direct service to south devon (Plymouth) but does not. Where as a much smaller station such as Inverkeithing does.

It's confusing I know. :)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The point of the game is the next station you go to you would expect it to/not to have something the last station has but does. E.G you would expect Wakefield Kirkgate to be staffed however it isn't while a much smaller station like New Pudsey is. You can have waterloo if you bear this in mind. You may expect waterloo to have a direct service to south devon (Plymouth) but does not. Where as a much smaller station such as Inverkeithing does.

It's confusing I know. :)

Haha, I'll call it a night and try again in the morning!!

Robinson

I'm going to have a go at this... as I've thought of a disassociation that works at Combe Halt...

You would expect Dean railway station to also see FGW services calling there, being as they operate the station - but no, all services are SWT.

Ivo

Established Member
So my random thread of randomness (or not :?) is back eh? :lol:

Dean has local services to all of the following: An older cathedral city, a post-1900 city, a major junction, and an airport. You would think that the same would be true of Bognor Regis, but unlike nearby Littlehampton it lacks a direct service to Chichester.

scotsman

Established Member
Bognor Regis station serves a large town, as does Glenrothes with Thornton - you'd expect it to also have a fairly central location, however it's located a couple of miles from the town centre in the village of Thornton

Ivo

Established Member
Given Glenrothes with Thornton's geographical location, it effectively serves as a parkway station for the town. Judging by name alone, you would thus expect this to be a connection between it and Didcot Parkway - but, as we all know, Didcot Parkway is fairly central.

Robinson

As CrossCountry send all their services on the avoiding line past Didcot Parkway on their way to Oxford, you might also expect them to do the same at Gloucester on the Birmingham-Bristol corridor all day - but there is 1tpd from Glasgow Central which calls at Gloucester.

As CrossCountry send all their services on the avoiding line past Didcot Parkway on their way to Oxford, you might also expect them to do the same at Gloucester on the Birmingham-Bristol corridor all day - but there is 1tpd from Glasgow Central which calls at Gloucester.

To be fair XC DO call at Didcot on sundays.

Ivo

Established Member

And don't I know it - I've been on it enough! :lol:

To be fair XC DO call at Didcot on sundays.

Since when exactly? They only ever stop at DID during engineering works, usually because it serves as an easy place to terminate and cuts down on the requirement to travel by bus to Reading and beyond.

I would suggest DID is perfectly valid and will thus continue on from Robinson's choice of Gloucester. Gloucester is know for its long platform face. Bristol Temple Meads also has long platforms, but owing to the regular use of both adjoining platforms at the same time - unlike at Gloucester - it is never really thought of as having long platforms.

Robinson

Bristol Temple Meads has services to both London Paddington and Waterloo. Seeing as FGW set the interavailable fares from Basingstoke to London, you might expect there to also be a direct service to Paddington from there - but of course there isn't; anyone wanting Paddington has to change trains at Reading.

Eagle

Established Member
Basingstoke has a bay platform for use by terminating services; you'd think Bournemouth's bay platform would be used for the same (it's easily long enough for a single Voyager), but it never is.

Status
Not open for further replies.