• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station in TV Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim B

Any one have any ideas as to the identity of the station in the Match.com TV advert ? "Girl on the platform smiled ..... " I thought maybe somewhere on South West route out of London Waterloo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ushawk

Established Member
Sutton - Southern 377 and 455 were featured - although on the "extended" version, a sign saying "Wigan" is shown.

bnm

Established Member
Continuity error in the full version as well. 455 pulls in, 377 pulls out.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Sutton - Southern 377 and 455 were featured - although on the "extended" version, a sign saying "Wigan" is shown.

He sings shes from Wigan, which I thought was strange as there wasnt any evidence I saw for that at a Southern station.

Clip

Established Member
Most people in South London probably don't even know of Wigan :roll:

Yes we do its where we get a new hair style..

Must say ive never heard nor saw a Wigan reference in the ad but i would do the girl on the platform

Train jaune

If it really was an homage to Wigan then she'd have been eating a Pie (VAT @ 20%) or maybe one of Uncle Joe's Mint Balls

Established Member
I wouldn't mind wrapping that musical instrument around his head. Very annoying.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Distance wise, the use of Carnforth in the film "Brief Encounter" when the station was supposed to be in Southern England, still makes me chuckle when the film shows the destination board platform signs showing a good range of "up north" destinations...:D

Established Member
Distance wise, the use of Carnforth in the film "Brief Encounter" when the station was supposed to be in Southern England, still makes me chuckle when the film shows the destination board platform signs showing a good range of "up north" destinations...:D

Wasn't that due to the War, and it was thought filming up North would be safer than a suburban London station, which was supposed to be used?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Wasn't that due to the War, and it was thought filming up North would be safer than a suburban London station, which was supposed to be used?

They could have changed the names of the railway stations on the station destination boards, even so. Victoria Wood, on one of the railway journey programmes made by well known people, made a specific mention of this, as her journey featured a visit to Carnforth railway station.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

I believe so, Carnforth was chosen because of its long sloping platform ramps I think.

Is she fit then?

The girl in the original Match.com advert is, most certainly :D

tsr

Established Member
It's interesting to see (or hear) that it was filmed complete with an announcement advising of a Southern-esque delay (listen very carefully at the beginning!)...

And no, you can't get a Southern-operated train to Wigan. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.