• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Morning,

I'm looking into a station I am interested in knowing a little more about Waddon Marsh.

How can I find out the following info:
  • Length of platform (It easily accommodated a 2 car EPB and a 2 car cl.456.)
  • The width of the platforms.
  • The dimensions of the signal box.
  • Dimensions of the footbridge.

Also is it possible to get a track plan/sectional appendix from the 1970s showing the mileages and signals etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Waldgrun

Firstly in the peice you linked to it states the the wooden platform to be 170 feet long, I wouldn't have thought it to have altered when it was replaced.
The foot bridge looks to be a standard model from Exmouth Junction works which might help you to find out its details.

03_179

Established Member
Thanks Waldgrun,

I've looked for photos of old pre EPB stock at the platforms in it's wooden days but cannot find any at the moment. I'd be able to get a better idea of the length using them.

A 2EPB works out at 128ft and a cl.456 works out at 185ft. I travelled on the line a few times but can't remember if the 456s 'overhung' the platform. If the old wooden one was 170ft then a 2EPB sits comfortably on it but a cl.456 wouldn't.

Thanks again ... I'll keep digging. :)

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Try looking at the old 6" OS maps for the area; they are available on-line.
They should also show signal positions

Veteran Member
A Google image search for Waddon Marsh throws up a fair few photos and schematis and signalling diagrams.

The 1978 Appendix gives mileages as

West Croydon 6m12c
B box 6.04
Waddon Marsh 4.79
Beddington Lane 3.57
Mitcham Jn 3.04

BTW a 456 isn't 185ft long - that would mean 28m long vehicles!

Status
Not open for further replies.