• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

station maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plugwash

Established Member
National rail enquires used to provide interactive station maps, these maps were far from perfect (in particular they were laid out with everything at right angles, even when the real stations were somewhat more curvy), but they did provide a useful way to explore the facilities and routes available at stations.

However in recent times it seems the maps on national rail enquires have become a horrible mess, some of them have been replaced with static maps, which provide much less information. Others still have the interactive maps but they are often woefully out of date. For example at Cheadle Hulme the map does not show the footbridge that was built in 2011 or the ticket machines (IIRC the one on platform 1 was put in as part of the penalty fares stuff a year or so ago, but the one near the carpark has been there much longer).

Does anyone know the reason for this decline? Is there a better source for station maps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The “stations made easy” mapping scheme doesn’t seem to have budgeted for the possibility of regular updates being needed. But I also think there are more fundamental issues with the programming, because many clickable icons on the plans link to the wrong picture - almost as though someone’s sorted a database incorrectly...

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
This idea is something that has been in the back of my mind for a few years now (it's actually in a notebook of mine dated before the NR 'Stations made Easy' site went live!) I've just never really got round to it. Maybe it's something I should try and resurrect!

Status
Not open for further replies.