• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station or line you wish you had used on or used a bit more ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frodshamfella

Established Member
For me, Elmers End to Selsdon and Sanderstead, only did this once just before line closed all together. Also to get off at Eltham Park never did that. To have used services from North Woolwich to Stratford, only did this once on a DMU. Also to have gone from Epping to Ongar, didn't do that, or Holborn to Aldwych. I would have liked to have used Broad Street a bit more too, I did manage to alight at Primrose Hill a few times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
The (BR) mid-Hants line, particularly from Alresford to Winchester, Bishops Stortford to Braintree line, Witham to Maldon line and especially the Woodhead trans-Pennine route.

Pyreneenguy

The Southport-Crossens EMU (class 503 )shuttle and running along the platform at Meols Cop when the train reversed, the driver and guard changed ends. Southport-Crossens-Preston closed 6/09/1964, gasp !

Welshman

Established Member
I would have liked to have used the "South Yorkshireman" - 10am from Bradford Exchange and 4.50pm return from London Marylebone.
All the way back up the GC main line, enjoying dinner in the restaurant car!

Also, shortly after the "Trans-Pennine" dmus were introduced to the Hull-Manchester-Liverpool via Huddersfield route in 1961, what was the old NE region used one for a Sunday excursion from Leeds to Towyn, which I believe went via Ruabon, Llangollen and Barmouth Junction. Wish I'd gone on that.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
For me, Elmers End to Selsdon and Sanderstead, only did this once just before line closed all together. Also to get off at Eltham Park never did that. To have used services from North Woolwich to Stratford, only did this once on a DMU. Also to have gone from Epping to Ongar, didn't do that, or Holborn to Aldwych. I would have liked to have used Broad Street a bit more too, I did manage to alight at Primrose Hill a few times.
I didn't do many of those either. Eltham Park I did many, many times, it being my local station (I was even born in a house on Westmount Road, on which EP stood.) Broad Street only once, from Primrose Hill as it happens (friends lived in a flat overlooking the station.) North Woolwich to Stratford, certainly once, maybe twice, but I preferred the trolleybus route, which I only managed to travel on once on account of having my bike with me on all other occasions! Epping to Ongar I certainly should have done, given I was working on the Central Line during its last knockings: one day I'll go on the preserved remnant. Aldwych, yes, once: why, oh why, was that never extended to Waterloo?

martinsh

Established Member
For me, the biggest regret is a number of lines / stations that I actually visited in my early "spotting" days, but never actually got around to travelling on.

Wareham - Swanage
Weymouth quay
Stratford - Honeybourne
Nottingham Victoria - Rugby
Chester Northgate
Bidston - New Brighton
New Mills - Hayfield
Marple - Macclesfield
Bury - Rochdale
Liverpool Central - Gateacre

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not much has closed during my lifetime, the obvious local example is Clayton West but I was apparently carried on that as a tiny person during the summer of 1982. I'd have liked to have done Penistone to Sheffield via Deepcar and reversal at Nunnery. Going further back in time, Huddersfield to Newcastle via the old route of Cross Gates -> Wetherby -> Harrogate -> Ripon -> Northallerton.

PeterC

Established Member
The ones that I wish I had used mostly closed just before I was old enough to have done the journeys on my own.

I think that I only did Stratford - North Woolwich once, I would have liked to have done that more often, especially earlier when there was still some freight traffic around. In the opposite direction I would have liked to have done the run up to Palace Gates but that section closed a couple of years before my parents would have let me do the trip on my own.

frodshamfella

Established Member
The Southport-Crossens EMU (class 503 )shuttle and running along the platform at Meols Cop when the train reversed, the driver and guard changed ends. Southport-Crossens-Preston closed 6/09/1964, gasp !

Yes that would have been a good one to go on for sure

frodshamfella

Established Member
The ones that I wish I had used mostly closed just before I was old enough to have done the journeys on my own.

I think that I only did Stratford - North Woolwich once, I would have liked to have done that more often, especially earlier when there was still some freight traffic around. In the opposite direction I would have liked to have done the run up to Palace Gates but that section closed a couple of years before my parents would have let me do the trip on my own.
Did the Stratford-North Woolwich actually go further, like Camden Road ? I really can't remember, I didn't go beyond Stratford so don't know.

frodshamfella

Established Member
For me, the biggest regret is a number of lines / stations that I actually visited in my early "spotting" days, but never actually got around to travelling on.

Wareham - Swanage
Weymouth quay
Stratford - Honeybourne
Nottingham Victoria - Rugby
Chester Northgate
Bidston - New Brighton
New Mills - Hayfield
Marple - Macclesfield
Bury - Rochdale
Liverpool Central - Gateacre

I never new they did a Bidston to New Brighton !. Liverpool Central to Gateacre, is that up from Hunts Cross ? That ares of Liverpool where the loop line was is very poorly served now by rail.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I didn't do many of those either. Eltham Park I did many, many times, it being my local station (I was even born in a house on Westmount Road, on which EP stood.) Broad Street only once, from Primrose Hill as it happens (friends lived in a flat overlooking the station.) North Woolwich to Stratford, certainly once, maybe twice, but I preferred the trolleybus route, which I only managed to travel on once on account of having my bike with me on all other occasions! Epping to Ongar I certainly should have done, given I was working on the Central Line during its last knockings: one day I'll go on the preserved remnant. Aldwych, yes, once: why, oh why, was that never extended to Waterloo?

I got as far as Epping as a lad, it was along way from home, and was probably a bit concerned going any further, wish I had now.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I'd had liked to at least have a look at the line from Helsby to Mouldsworth, only knew about it after it had closed completely to freight.

frodshamfella

Established Member
I would also had liked to go on one of the peak hour direct Charing Cross to Bromley North services.

PeterC

Established Member
Did the Stratford-North Woolwich actually go further, like Camden Road ? I really can't remember, I didn't go beyond Stratford so don't know.
Every timetable that I have seen shows a more frequent service south of Stratford but up until it was closed in, I think early 63 many trains continued onto the Palace Gates branch via Lea Bridge, South Tottenham and Seven Sisters. My 1950 and summer 1963 timetiables show one or two North Woolwich trains continuing onto the Lee Valley Line.

There was certainly no passenger service between Stratford and the North London Line between WW2 and 1979. I am not sure if there was before then, the North London Railway's passenger traffic east of Dalston was oriented towards Poplar and the Isle of Docks.

Pyreneenguy

I never new they did a Bidston to New Brighton !. Liverpool Central to Gateacre, is that up from Hunts Cross ? That ares of Liverpool where the loop line was is very poorly served now by rail.

The orginal service was Seacombe to Wrexham, via Bidston. When Seacombe closed in 1960, the service was transferred to New Brighton, which in turn was transferred to Birkenhead North , then finally truncated to Bidston. There were also trains from New Brighton to Chester Northgate, ending in 1968.

The original plan was to electrify the line from Hunts Cross ( outer loop) to , at least Gateacre and eventually beyond. Economies put an end to the scheme and trains terminate today at Hunts Cross. I used to love exploring the Merseyside network with the weekend 'Merseyrover', price for a child, 50p ! Liverpool Central was a favorite haunt.

Veteran Member
Every timetable that I have seen shows a more frequent service south of Stratford but up until it was closed in, I think early 63 many trains continued onto the Palace Gates branch via Lea Bridge, South Tottenham and Seven Sisters. My 1950 and summer 1963 timetiables show one or two North Woolwich trains continuing onto the Lee Valley Line.

There was certainly no passenger service between Stratford and the North London Line between WW2 and 1979. I am not sure if there was before then, the North London Railway's passenger traffic east of Dalston was oriented towards Poplar and the Isle of Docks.

Not sure the North London ever went East of Vic Park.

The Palace Gates line was basically peak-hour only. My uncle took me on a day out in 1962(?) and I think we had an L1 to Palace Gates, but there were also N7s, J15s (I was "educated" enough to be disappointed not to have a trip behind one) and the odd DHMU which would have worked off the Lea Valley.

I would also had liked to go on one of the peak hour direct Charing Cross to Bromley North services.

Their one real advantage was that you could get a seat at Waterloo East on the 1727!

My personal disappointment: being too much into buses around 1964, and thus missing the Sussex secondary routes (Cuckoo Line, Steyning, Cranleigh - and steam on Reading-Tonbridge). I'm sure the school Railway Society organised a trip, but first years weren't really encouraged - in fact we set up our own club....

martinsh

Established Member
I never new they did a Bidston to New Brighton !.

Service originally ran Wrexham / Chester Northgate - Bidston - New Brighton. Not very frequent from what I remember. Later (a few years after Northgate had closed) diverted to Birkenhead North, later cut back to Bidston as now. I first travelled on this line in 1976 (though only Wrexham - Heswall). I first visited New Brighton in 1969 - arriving by ferry !

Liverpool Central to Gateacre, is that up from Hunts Cross ?.
yes. Closed about 1972. Remember "spotting" the train at Central

martinsh

Established Member
I used to love exploring the Merseyside network with the weekend 'Merseyrover', price for a child, 50p ! Liverpool Central was a favorite haunt.

Ah the classic Merseyrover, valid from 1800 on Friday evening. Many trips (from Crewe) with friends to try and complete the whole network in the time available. Something always seemed to b*****r up our best laid plans though. I remember once it being bus substitution Bidston - Heswall.

Pyreneenguy

martinsh :

Did you also travel from Crewe to Preston on the W.C.M.L with the Merseyrover ? You weren't supposed to do so, but I never had any problems ! 1973/74 was a great time, with electrification and the installation of new power signal boxes. Many memorable diversions via Blackburn and on one ocassion via Ormskirk using the passing-loop.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I never did an XC Brighton service all the way to Brighton (but did manage Leamington to Kenny O, and East Croydon to Leamington just before it ended)

Also never did Eurostar before any of CTRL opened (used it twice from Waterloo, but via the Fawkham connection onto HS1)

frodshamfella

Established Member
I also only managed to go to Addiscombe once, but used Woodside a few to we as had a mate who lived near there.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Swansea Victoria to Pontardulais - saw if from the beach , but my car orientated parents had a brand new Ford Anglia for local trips (266 PNY for the record)

Statto

Established Member
Birkenhead Railway, West Kirby-Hooton the line closed in 1956 to passengers, also Birkenhead Woodside-London Paddington on the sleeper, i know a mate who used to do this with his dad in the late 50s early 60s

HOOVER29

The Woodhead Route.
Like a numpty I only took an interest in the line after it had shut.

Greetlander

I was five when Woodhead closed completely, but I used to pass through Penistone on the way to visit family in S Yorks and I was fascinated by the wires. If I could go back in time I’d love to give it a go.

Otherwise I’d like to leave Halifax platform 5/6 and head over the viaduct and on to Queensbury. Then if can travel back another 30 years it would be the Stainland Branch line.

My last two are of course stretching the boundaries of this thread so I’ll go Woodhead.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Darlington to Workington via Barnard Castle, Appleby East and Keswick must have been fun, though perhaps not in winter. Dunno if you culd actually do it without changing trains at Penrith, however.

SS4

Established Member
I would have liked to use the Sutton Park line when it was in regular service but it closed to passengers before I was born. I did get a chance during an XC diversion (with some other forum members) though

Taunton

Established Member
Would have been nice to have done the various Taunton branches before they closed. Never did Chard. Yeovil only in closing week (and never left Yeovil Town station; went straight back). Saw many a 43xx hauled Barnstaple but never went along there until the last 18 months (only) of dmu operation. Minehead however quite a few times. Never ever went towards Exeter on the train until after we left the town, when all the intermediate stations had closed.

Friend of the family was a driver in the link that did all the branches. More than once offered to take me on the footplate from the first station beyond Taunton, once we were away from any management eyes. What a lost opportunity. Local branch stationmasters would think nothing of kids on the footplate, because they had all done it themselves long before.

Calthrop

Established Member
The (BR) mid-Hants line, particularly from Alresford to Winchester, Bishops Stortford to Braintree line, Witham to Maldon line and especially the Woodhead trans-Pennine route.
Birkenhead Railway, West Kirby -- Hooton the line closed in 1956 to passengers, also Birkenhead Woodside-London Paddington on the sleeper, i know a mate who used to do this with his dad in the late 50s early 60s

(My boldings) -- gentlemen, do you mind my asking -- would it have been possible for you to travel by these lines' passenger services (that on Bishops Stortford -- Braintree withdrawn 1952) if things had worked out otherwise for you; or is it a matter of in literal terms, your being born too late?

A big wish of mine re such things, involves the Midland & Great Northern Joint (and connecting purely-Midland) route west of Spalding. In my childhood in Spalding I got a little travel, with parents, on some of the M & GN during its last half-dozen or so years. Know for certain (and have a very few, fleeting actual memories) that in summer 1954, self and mother travelled between Bourne and Birmingham in both directions, using the M & GN's "crack express": the daily semi-fast between Birmingham and various east Norfolk destinations. Before 1956, this train did not serve Spalding -- it took the avoiding line -- so a friend of the family gave us lifts by road between Spalding and Bourne.

I have a tiny bit of memory-type circumstantial evidence to suggest that on another occasion, I may have travelled on this route actually Spalding -- Bourne, and onward to the junction with the Peterborough -- Leicester line at Saxby; but it can rank only as a suggestion, with memory from childhood maybe at fault -- and there's no-one in the family now alive, who could shed any light thereon.

Status
Not open for further replies.