• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station pedestrian crossings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartland

I noted yesterday that Cefynybedd Station still had a pedestrian crossing across the tracks and no other access for Wrexham Bound trains. I wonder how many more stations are restricted in this way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thelem

There are also stations where to get between two platforms you need to use a road vehicle level crossing.

Edit: Removed a place I thought did, but I was thinking of somewhere else and I can't remember where.

Last edited:

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There are lots. As you mentioned Cefn-y-Bedd on the borderlands line, there's also certainly Penyffordd, which requires a barrow crossing to get onto the Bidston bound platform.

najaB

Veteran Member
There are lots.
As you said, there are lots - Prees and Newark Castle were mentioned in a recent thread. Pretty sure Kinbrace Fosinard is the same, that said it is an open crossing so there's no barriers to get in the way.

Last edited:

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
There are also stations where to get between two platforms you need to use a road vehicle level crossing.

Edit: Removed a place I thought did, but I was thinking of somewhere else and I can't remember where.
Possibly (well, probably) not the one you were thinking of as I expect there are quite a number, but Eggesford on the North Devon Line springs instantly to mind for me.

ASharpe

Quite a few stations on the Settle-Carlisle line have just a barrow crossing - Horton, Ribblehead and Dent that immediately spring to mind.

Gomshall on the North Downs line also.

Churchill012

Poppleton on the York - Harrogate - Leeds line. Only way to get from one platform to the other is over a level crossing/foot crossing.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Farnborough North on the Reading to Guildford/Gatwick Airport 'North Downs Line' is another one, although there are talks of a bridge being built due to the apparent danger and number of near misses there. The crossing has red and green lights, so the fact there are still near misses implies to me personally that it's not actually the crossing itself that is dangerous...

ld0595

Arisaig station is one that first popped up in my mind. I can imagine there will be quite a few more on the West Highland line.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Farnborough North on the Reading to Guildford/Gatwick Airport 'North Downs Line' is another one, although there are talks of a bridge being built due to the apparent danger and number of near misses there. The crossing has red and green lights, so the fact there are still near misses implies to me personally that it's not actually the crossing itself that is dangerous...

How long is it from when the lights goto red that a train will pass by?

GarethC

Halesworth on the East Suffolk Line has a barrow crossing which caused a stir when Network Rail wanted to close it. They are now looking at the options again. (East Anglian Daily Times article).

Chapel en le Frith on the Buxton line has one too.

randyrippley

Established Member
Hest Bank has a road level crossing, and its not unknown for people to get trapped between the barriers. My son did when he was two (over ten years ago) - the childminder had let her attention drop. Luckily her own son managed to drag him over the barrier as the train approached. Don't think it ever got reported - no-one told me until much later.

Then you have the absurdity of Gillingham, Dorset where despite a footbridge between platforms the barrow crossing was actually a public footpath through the station. Not sure if the path is still active or not, but there's been at least one casualty there with someone crossing as a class 50 approached. Because of the footpath, the station couldn't even be locked up at night.

Tw99

Twyford has a foot crossing over the Henley branch, between the end of Platform 4/5 and the car park.

alastair

I am sure there was a fatality at Farnborough North a few years ago. Also there was a "crossing keeper" in a small wooden hut the last few times I have passed through,don't know how long he has been there or what hours it is manned?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Newark Castle

Access via the public road level crossing now IIRC. At one time there was a barrow crossing for passenger use at the other end of the platforms - not sure why as it was a long way round for access.

Bottesford still has a between platforms crossing but was changed a few years back to combine it with a nearby footpath crossing.

The single platform at Matlock Bath has a barrow crossing for access across the track to the Heights of Abraham cable car. I seem to remember there is a very short and very low speed restriction across it, which makes little difference in practice as all scheduled trains stop there.

Last edited:

Penmorfa

Hest Bank has a road level crossing, and its not unknown for people to get trapped between the barriers. My son did when he was two (over ten years ago) - the childminder had let her attention drop. Luckily her own son managed to drag him over the barrier as the train approached. Don't think it ever got reported - no-one told me until much later.

But Hest Bank is'nt a station so has nothing to do with a discussion on station pedestrian crossings. If people get trapped then it's because of their own laziness/stupidity as there is a pedestrian footbridge. I also find it hard to believe how anyone could be trapped as the crossing is overlooked by a manned signalbox, which exists purely to operate that road level crossing. The signalman has a duty to check the crossing is clear before a train is allowed to pass.

LowLevel

Established Member
Sleaford has a barrow crossing though work is being done on ways of closing it.

Many larger stations have as a reserve on a staff assistance basis (Leicester, Nottingham).

Many have closed though - Alfreton without replacement though the sighting is appalling there (pending a new bridge), Spalding now requires the train crew or station staff to request replatforming of the 2 trains a day to use platform 2 for wheelchair users. Grantham has been ripped out.

Elton and Orston will probably be uneconomic to replace.

Ancaster up platform is a barrow crossing as well.

They are however firmly on Network Rail's hitlist.

randyrippley

Established Member
But Hest Bank is'nt a station so has nothing to do with a discussion on station pedestrian crossings. If people get trapped then it's because of their own laziness/stupidity as there is a pedestrian footbridge. I also find it hard to believe how anyone could be trapped as the crossing is overlooked by a manned signalbox, which exists purely to operate that road level crossing. The signalman has a duty to check the crossing is clear before a train is allowed to pass.

You've caught me out, I meant Bare Lane. Was thinking of something else as I typed

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I am sure there was a fatality at Farnborough North a few years ago. Also there was a "crossing keeper" in a small wooden hut the last few times I have passed through,don't know how long he has been there or what hours it is manned?
College start and finish times (when someone from council or college is available) as I believe that is when most abuse of the crossing is reported to occur.

Further down the line is Ash, but not sure if that counts as the crossing between platforms is a road rather than foot crossing.

Right Away

Hayle uses a pedestrian rail crossing to get to the Up platform

The crossing at Hayle was closed on 28/03/14. Access between the platforms is now made by a nearby underbridge just to the west of the platforms.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Maiden Newton has a publically accessible crossing at the Dorchester end of the platforms in addition to the station footbridge.

Taunton

Established Member
Gomshall on the North Downs line also.
I was at Gomshall a few years ago and quite surprised at this being the only way to access the westbound platform. It's Surrey commuter land, not deep country. No lights or such (are there now?). Visibility not good due to curvature, and frequent nonstop through there.

Status
Not open for further replies.