• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station 'Secrets'

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The former GPO link between New Street and the Sorting Office (now the Mailbox) is quite interesting. The entrance to it is in the subway which runs under the platforms at New Street towards the B end of the platform and is secured by gates. It then runs on a curve upwards to the Mailbox (the entrance at the Mailbox end is also secured). From time to time it has been open to the public (including a laser light show). Also at New Street off the end of Platform 12B are several odd rooms including a Print Room - next to it in the corridor when I went there was a BR International poster on the wall from 1973 (this was about 18 months ago)

Fascinating! I'll look out for those...any idea if the tunnel will be opened to the public again?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Oh I know some things that happen in the clubs under Vauxhaull station that I'm sure no-one wants to know about (Not even me, but one needed to work down there). Things like what peter sudgested but you don't need to peek...

Sorry - I have no idea what you are on about - I don’t know London very well. Can you provide a CLEAN ( i assume it to be unsavoury) indication of what you are talking about.

It must be obvious to everyone except me! Apologies for my naivety!

table38

Established Member
The easiest way to explain without the risk of offending anyone is probably via this Google Streetview link :)

tsr

Established Member
Suspect this may be an urban myth...At one point Victoria had airline check-in facilities with escalators down to the Gatwick Express platforms, and used to host boat trains of course.

The primary London "fallback" location for Eurostar was traditionally Olympia, but that stopped following the move to St Pancras and I believe the Eurostar sets have had their 3rd rail shoegear removed, so presumably the new plan involves disembarking at Ebbsfleet.

Regarding shoegear, I had also heard about removal from another source. Perhaps they could be dragged by a Thunderbird instead... (not a serious suggestion, really).

table38

Established Member
So that's a genuine knocking shop? :D

No. It would be difficult to say precisely (without the risk of testing the bounds of what is appropriate to post on here), but let's just say that you only pay to use the sauna facilities in the establishment. What the customers may or may not indulge in amongst themselves is up to them, but there are no services of "that" kind provided by the establishment, nor do they allow anyone to solicit within their premises (or at least, not if they want to keep their licence :))

Actually it's a bit of a dump and there are much better places to go if you like that sort of thing. Oddly one of the better places is right next door to this well-known London railway landmark!

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Thanks for keeping that post within 'decency', we don't want to have to end up locking this thread or removing/editing a load of posts. Hopefully the reply will have satisfied the curiousity of people - if it hasn't, then it may be better look at the establishment's website (I'm not posting a link, but google will provide you with it!) rather than asking for more information here. Alternatively, there's always an option to pay a visit... :lol:

Moving on, a book that may be of interest to some that have read this thread is "Britain's Historic Railway Buildings - an Oxford gazeteer of structures and sites". Although not concentrating on secrets, it does have a lot of background information on historic railway buildings and mentions things such as disused entrances at stations. The book itself is rather weighty at over 750 pages.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Moving on, a book that may be of interest to some that have read this thread is "Britain's Historic Railway Buildings - an Oxford gazeteer of structures and sites". Although not concentrating on secrets, it does have a lot of background information on historic railway buildings and mentions things such as disused entrances at stations. The book itself is rather weighty at over 750 pages.

Sat on a bookshelf about four foot from me ATM. A truly excellent read, like you say, not so much secrets but there is definitely plenty of info and history. There's also a reprint out too, I got mine from a secondhand bookstand at Blackburn Model Railway Exhibition a while back.

rmt-driver

Suspect this may be an urban myth...At one point Victoria had airline check-in facilities with escalators down to the Gatwick Express platforms, and used to host boat trains of course.

The primary London "fallback" location for Eurostar was traditionally Olympia, but that stopped following the move to St Pancras and I believe the Eurostar sets have had their 3rd rail shoegear removed, so presumably the new plan involves disembarking at Ebbsfleet.

Cheers,

Barry

Or if the train has already passed Ebbsfleet and St Pancras is suddenly closed for whatever reason, Stratford International ?

theblackwatch

Established Member
Sat on a bookshelf about four foot from me ATM. A truly excellent read, like you say, not so much secrets but there is definitely plenty of info and history. There's also a reprint out too, I got mine from a secondhand bookstand at Blackburn Model Railway Exhibition a while back.

Just been looking at my copy too - I got it out from the bookcase last night after reading this thread. I suspected it would probably be out of print now, given that I got mine several years ago. Not a book to read from cover to cover, but certainly one to dip into. Useful for snippets of information when I'm doing railtour booklets as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.