• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station style departure boards online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Not bad at all, it's not very mobile friendly tho and very slow as a result, sure it will work fine on desktops

infobleep

Veteran Member
That's great. Interesting that staff screens get to see number of coaches. That would be useful on the National Rail Enquiries App departure boards but I can't ever see it coming to that. They don't seem to develop anything much new for that app, useful though I find it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

tsr

Established Member
Another excellent option is:

http://www.railalefan.co.uk/rail/departures/

The rest of the site has a number of very clearly presented options for various types of information, albeit not some things like train formations. It's just a pity the domain is not too professional for me to use if I'm at work!

Even given the source of data, it seems much more reliable than NRE, but then again getting information from NRE themselves is about as reliable as talking to a tree.

causton

Established Member
Strange not to see GN services as they use these very screens.

ATOS charge a lot of money to convert the data from the departure boards (which comes direct from the same software that powers the CIS at the station so you will find the exact same comments and times!) so I guess LM have found a budget for it and GTR haven't!

LM have got it as part of the £15million investment for the new franchise extension to provide more real time info to passengers in stations with new tablets for station staff (which have not arrived for us yet!) and this website.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's great. Interesting that staff screens get to see number of coaches. That would be useful on the National Rail Enquiries App departure boards but I can't ever see it coming to that. They don't seem to develop anything much new for that app, useful though I find it.

Which station did you get that information for? I sure didn't find such useful information.

I like this website, I must admit, so far!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The formation info is from the platform screens on LM.

louis97

Established Member
Does it ultimately get its data from the same data feed(s) that RTT uses?

No, this data is direct from the TOC CIS systems. The site is owned by ATOS, who makes the CIS Software used by most of the TOCs stations available - thats why the screens look identical to what you would see at a station.

I've seen it used by Virgin Trains staff with Tablets at Birmingham New Street.

RailAleFan

Another excellent option is:

http://www.railalefan.co.uk/rail/departures/

The rest of the site has a number of very clearly presented options for various types of information, albeit not some things like train formations. It's just a pity the domain is not too professional for me to use if I'm at work!

Thanks!

I've had a few requests for a more "safe for work" URL so now available at;

http://live-departures.info/rail/departures/

And as per thread subject, station board style display demo;

http://live-departures.info/rail/cis/

Update: Timetables now back online after import issues last week;

http://live-departures.info/rail/timetable/

Last edited by a moderator:

greatkingrat

Established Member
I have visions of confused tourists seeing that screen and wondering why trains are departing from the toilet!

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I bet the tourists will feel a little flushed. So longs the service doesn't go down the pan, then all should be fine.

Frontera2

Does it ultimately get its data from the same data feed(s) that RTT uses?

Yes and no..

RTT doesn't use Darwin data which means that changes made in control rooms via industry systems and the CIS will not be shown in RTT, until Network Rail make the change in TRUST.

During major disruption, changes in TRUST will sometimes be made long after the event whereas the CIS is updated for quicker through a number of systems.

It doesn't always go to plan however and I know there are documented examples of where RTT has info before Darwin / CIS but that's usually because NR have updated TRUST before the TOC Comtrol has managed to change their systems.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It's under development...
I am amazed. Given how the app hasn't kept up pace with the fast pace of app development that seems to go on these days.

For example the app is designed for a mobile in portrait mode only. It also doesn't support two apps being displayed at once or shrinking it.

It doesn't follow the Google material design but then neither do some other major apps.

Anyway I'm pleased to see it's being developed. I use it a lot and like the feature of being able to look back in time.

The feature doesn't work beyond midnight but that's a minor point.

Frontera2

I am amazed. Given how the app hasn't kept up pace with the fast pace of app development that seems to go on these days.

For example the app is designed for a mobile in portrait mode only. It also doesn't support two apps being displayed at once or shrinking it.

It doesn't follow the Google material design but then neither do some other major apps.

Anyway I'm pleased to see it's being developed. I use it a lot and like the feature of being able to look back in time.

The feature doesn't work beyond midnight but that's a minor point.

What app are we talking about? #confused

fandroid

Established Member
Frontera2. Nice tip about changing the station code in the URL. I may be being a bit ambitious, but I have bookmarked Waterloo on my tablet. The link shows Page 1 of 2, just like a true station departures screen. However, it doesn't scroll to Page 2. Is there a way of linking to the second page?

Status
Not open for further replies.