• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station with good parking near M25/M40

Status
Not open for further replies.

PauloDavesi

Can anyone here recommend a station with good parking, not too far from the M40/M25 as I need to go into Central London, by rail or tube, for a few hours before heading to Dover.

Alternately, are there any locations on the lower half of the M25 that would fit the criteria?

Planning to get to London around 10am on a Wednesday, not during the Olympics period.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'm not particularly good with parking however I have borrowed some comments from another forum I frequently visit.

Comment 1 said:
Hillingdon or Ickenham on Metropolitian Line

Comment 2 said:
Easiest would be to drive to Richmond, park at the station

Comment 3 said:
I usually either park at Richmond ( as say before ) or
continue into town to Hammersmith Broadway where there is free parking after 6pm or drive up A3 to Southfields, again free roadside parking.

Please bear in mind that these are opinions of people coming into London mostly from M3.

I think Hillingdon is a popular choice, especially coming in from M40.

Richmond is easily accessible from the Southern half of M25 via M3 and A316.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

The OP is coming in from the M40 direction. Are you telling the OP to cross London in the car or drive around the M25? I think that would kind of defeat the objective of the OP's query.

Ivo

Established Member
Another vote for Hillingdon I think. It is practically on top of the A40, only a couple of miles east of where the M40 ends.

button_boxer

Established Member
The OP is coming in from the M40 direction. Are you telling the OP to cross London in the car or drive around the M25? I think that would kind of defeat the objective of the OP's query.

Given they said "before heading to Dover" they're going to have to drive round the M25 either before or after the trip into London.

Heading to Dover? Well, coming down the M40 you're going to have to drive around the M25 so why not come off at J2 and head for Ebbsfleet? More parking than you can shake a stick at and a fast service to London and back. THen clatter off down the M2, off at J6 (or is it 7?) down to the M20 and awaaaaaaay.

SS4

Established Member
Hillingdon or Rayner's Lane - the former being better.

Off-Peak the Met stations appear to be cheapest

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As you are doing this during the week, go for Ickenham. It is just down the road from Hillingdon (indeed when coming off the A40 you drive past Hillingdon station), and for the extra ~3 Min drive is only £3.50 to park instead of the £5 at Hillingdon.

I parked there on Tuesday, arriving around 10am and you'll have no trouble getting parked at any time of the day.

For others reading this looking for parking, if doing it on a weekend, or bank holiday, you might as well use Hillingdon as both stations charge £1 on weekends, and Hillingdon is closer. But during the week I'd definitely recommend Ickenham to save £1.50 given it's no hassle at all to get to compared to Hillingdon; just keep driving along Long Lane and turn right into Glebe Avenue just past the shops. The fare would be the same from both stations.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Heading to Dover? Well, coming down the M40 you're going to have to drive around the M25 so why not come off at J2 and head for Ebbsfleet? More parking than you can shake a stick at and a fast service to London and back. THen clatter off down the M2, off at J6 (or is it 7?) down to the M20 and awaaaaaaay.

Nah. Take the M2 to the M2/A2/A299 interchange then take the A2 to Dover. Stops right by the ferry port!

PauloDavesi

Thanks for all the information.

I think I'll take the West London option, as I can then get onto the M26 and across to the M2(?) to continue to Dover.
While Ebbsfleet might work, it's adding to the mileage, in the wrong direction. From the M40, its easier to go round the southern section of the M25, something I've learnt from many trips to Brands Hatch over many many years.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Denham, Gerrards Cross or Beaconsfield then Chiltern into London

Denham station parking £5.50 + Off-peak day return to Marylebone £9.50
Gerrards Cross parking £6.50 + Train fare £12.70
Beaconsfield parking £6.00 + Train fare £14.30

Sorry, but it seems to me that if you have a car you might as well drive into the zones, which in this case the difference is a mere 2.2 miles (M40 Jct 1 and Hillingdon Cross on the A40), and not only benefit from cheaper parking, but a much lower train fare. If you need to travel on by the Underground, elsewhere within Zone 1, there would be no additional fare due.

atomicdanny

Nah. Take the M2 to the M2/A2/A299 interchange then take the A2 to Dover. Stops right by the ferry port!

I think in that case it would be M25 - M26 - M20 - A249 - M2 - A2, but to be fair though it would be far quicker to go M25 - M26 - M20 then A20 (same road), the road connects to the A2 at the end of it ;) (which happens to be the same road that goes in to the port and its far quicker just to go down the M20 towards Dover)

district

When Mojo and I drove to Ickenham and went on the Met to Central London, we noticed that one of the Ruislips had a humongous empty car park. Not sure how much money you'll be charged though.

Status
Not open for further replies.