• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations at passing loops on single lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

Where a station has two platforms but is surrounded on both sides by single track, do the trains always use the left-hand platform? (As if it was a double-track route). This would make 'usability' easier as it would have one platform in each direction, so it could have signs saying "Platorm x for trains to x" even if it has no monitors.

I think most stations on the Cambrian, etc. use this arrangement, except Welshpool where there is no crossing move required,then I think they just use one platform (although it's an island platform so shouldn't cause too much confusion).

I noticed on the East Lancashire Railway that at Ramsbottom (two side platforms), when a crossing was required, each train used the left-hand platform, but when I went on the return journey (towards Bury/Heywood), there was no train to cross and it used the right-hand platform! (This has potential for confusion if done on the National Rail network, but is there anywhere where something similar is done on National Rail where the station has two side platforms?).

I know that the loop at Tallerddig has the first train go into the loop line while the passing train goes through the main line, but there is no station there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
Where a station has two platforms but is surrounded on both sides by single track, do the trains always use the left-hand platform?

The simple answer is no.

Where both loops are unidirectional, in all but a handful of locations, trains will always use the left-hand loop.

Where one or both loops are bidirectional, the loop that a train will take will depend on the circumstances at the time, such as whether two trains are passing each other.

Established Member
I think that at Honiton most trains use the down (towards Exeter) platform, which is where the main station entrance is, which means right-hand running for up trains. The up platform is only used when two trains are crossing at Honiton.

Wasn't it the case that when the loop at Axminster was put in, there was right-hand running in both directions? Something to do with the layout providing better acceleration. But now they run on the left-hand side as normal.

A slightly different situation: when the Chiltern Line was upgraded in the late 1980s/early 90s, a facing crossover was put in just north of High Wycombe station so that up trains could switch across to the down platform (where the main station entrance is) and that platform was used by most trains in both directions. This meant right-hand running for up trains. There were far fewer trains on the line at that time and one platform was sufficient for most of the day. The up platform was only used when trains in both directions were timed to be at the station simultaneously.

TEW

Established Member
I think that at Honiton most trains use the down (towards Exeter) platform, which is where the main station entrance is, which means right-hand running for up trains. The up platform is only used when two trains are crossing at Honiton.

Wasn't it the case that when the loop at Axminster was put in, there was right-hand running in both directions? Something to do with the layout providing better acceleration. But now they run on the left-hand side as normal.
The up platform at Honiton is only used a couple of times a day now since most trains cross at Axminster instead. As you right hand running used to be the norm at Axminster. Gillingham is another station on the line where trains often run on the wrong line. Trains aren't timed to pass there often so most down train use the up platform which is the platform with the main buildings.

Bentley on the Alton line is another loop which is rarely used. (3 times a day in passenger service.) Most services use the main down platform.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A fair few of the crossing loops on the West Highland use right hand running I believe, though most of those are islands. Axminster switched from RHR to LHR last in December 2012 to allow Exeter-bound trains a better run up the incline west of the station. I suspect Rammy operates as it does for passenger convenience. It hardly shares the intensity of the national network so anyone on the wrong platform has plenty of times to cross, plus there's usually a booking clerk on hand to advise or make announcements.

TEW

Established Member
The change at Axminster also allows delayed trains a quicker approach to the station which means the train it's passing can get on the move quicker. Originally it was right hand running so that trains could pull away from the station more quickly, rather than having to slow down for the junctions.

najaB

Veteran Member
Where a station has two platforms but is surrounded on both sides by single track, do the trains always use the left-hand platform?
Again, not an island platform, but Carrbridge is a good example where trains can use either platform. It's not uncommon to see people waiting on the footbridge if they aren't sure which platform their train will be on.

For example, if the northbound train is running late, they'll cross the southbound at Carrbridge instead of Schlod loop, in which case the southbound train will use platform 1 instead of 2.

CallySleeper

Established Member
A fair few of the crossing loops on the West Highland use right hand running I believe, though most of those are islands.

• Garelochhead (island)
  • Ardlui (island)
  • Taynuilt
  • Bridge of Orchy (island)
  • Rannoch (island)
  • Spean Bridge

All others are either left-hand or single platforms.

MarkyT

Established Member
The change at Axminster also allows delayed trains a quicker approach to the station which means the train it's passing can get on the move quicker. Originally it was right hand running so that trains could pull away from the station more quickly, rather than having to slow down for the junctions.

I think that was the original reasoning FOR right hand running. Because of the particular design of the turnouts, the long loop, and the fact that trains can brake a lot more abruptly than they can accelerate, right hand running was to avoid trains having to slow down early on approach to Axminster to take the turnouts. The turnouts are 60 versus 85 on the straight. The Sectional Appendix still notes that right hand running is the norm, and the lines are named accordingly, although both tracks are fully signalled for bidirectional working. Appropriate SA page attached.

Attachments

• sa-axminster.jpg
    sa-axminster.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 83

Gareth Marston

Established Member
ETCS has been something of a game changer as everything is now bi directional on the Cambrian but generally the old UP and DOWN conventions continue apart from at Talerddig.

TEW

Established Member
The preference is to use Platform 2 as that is the main platform. Platform 1 is used if services have to pass.

HowardGWR

Established Member

Don't start me on that again, oh, you have. Some early and late trains still use AXM platforms the other way around and it confuses pax hugely. Last time I had to inform a confused passenger, who quite clearly doubted my word (I didn't blame him). The daft thing is that the PIS does not mention the platform and 'solves' it by having a different display for each platform. So it's 'first train, second train' method for each platform. They have the 'first train 0806 for Waterloo' on platform 1 (which is the 'wrong' one if you follow me) and you look across and you see the 0906 to Waterloo being advertised at the same time while the second train at platform 1 is the 0903 going the other way (back to normal in other words). Barmy.

iantherev

Axminster now seem to have reverted to the original procedure after the loop was put in with Platform 1 for Waterloo trains and Platform 2 for Exeter trains.

Parham Wood

At Bentley on the Farnham - Alton line most trains some time ago used the up platform, with a few either for operational reasons or "just to keep the rails shiny" used the down plaftorm. I have not been there for a while and I know there were timetable changes. It is a faster run in from both ends if I remember correctly. Also fantastic on the down platform and surrounding fields for large blackberries!

Marton

Nunthorpe isn't consistent other than for Whitby trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francis

Again, not an island platform, but Carrbridge is a good example where trains can use either platform. It's not uncommon to see people waiting on the footbridge if they aren't sure which platform their train will be on.

For example, if the northbound train is running late, they'll cross the southbound at Carrbridge instead of Schlod loop, in which case the southbound train will use platform 1 instead of 2.

SLOCHD http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/233103
Wouldn't want people to think you were Schlochd when you wrote the above.

Bill Stanier

I'm a signalman at Consall on the Churnet Valley. Consall is a station situated on a passing loop on the single line down the valley, and both the 'main line' and the 'loop line' are bi-directionally signalled.

On 'one train in operation' days the box is switched out and the train always uses the 'main line', regardless of direction of travel. The station booking office and entrance from the road are on that side, so it makes sense to use 'main line' except when trains are passing in the loop.

On 'two train' days the 'up' train normally uses the 'loop' platform and 'Down' trains use the main line platform. However, if the railway is operating, say, a 'footplate experience' train (which doesn't need to load and unload passengers) and a service train, I will always route the Foot Ex through the loop and the service train through the main line, regardless of direction of travel. It saves passengers having to use the barrow crossing to access the loop platform. Using the barrow crossing also means station staff have to supervise passengers crossing the line so I only route passenger trains through the loop when the railway is running two passenger trains and they need to cross at Consall.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.