• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations far from their town/city centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobuddygo

New Pudsey is a fair old uphill walk through Asda/M&S to the centre of town, Farsley is actually nearer, and the original Pudsey station was in Stanningley.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chapeltom

Established Member
Chapel en le Frith is a 15 minute walk out of town. Its a over a mile from my house and feels every bit of it! Hope is also outside out of Hope village by a good 15 minute walk as well!

Shimbleshanks

Menai Bridge station on the Welsh mainland was not only in a different county to the town it served on Anglesey but was separated by what was technically a piece of sea. But it wasn't actually that far, just a short walk over the suspension bridge over the Menai Straits.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
sutton parkway is nowhere near sutton in ashfield
wymondam is a fair walk from town
capenhurst is nowhere near capenhurst village
heswall is ages away from heswall

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Lakenheath is a three mile trek from the town to station. People travelling by train are often advised to travel to a station on a totally different route (BSE) and take a bus from there.

As for Ryanair purely based on distance Torp, some 80 miles from Oslo must be one of the furthest from the city it purportedly serves.
To counter that though Bremem must be one of the closest as, courtesy of a number 6 tram, you can be in the city centre 20 minutes after stepping off the plane.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Rochdale is 15 minutes walk.

Hebden Bridge similar.

For most difficult pedestrian access I suggest Eigerwand...

Welshman

Established Member
New Pudsey is a fair old uphill walk through Asda/M&S to the centre of town, Farsley is actually nearer, and the original Pudsey station was in Stanningley.

The original Pudsey stations were in Pudsey!
Lowtown and Greenside.
The station at Stanningley was "Stanningley for Farsley" :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure we had this quite recently... This forum is getting worse than the BBC for repeats
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here we are, not even a year ago ! http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48554
Yes, you're right!

My advise when posting a new thread is that if a search of this forum doesn't find a similar thread, you can try searching Google (using the parameter site:railforums.co.uk as their search is better than the search function used by the forum search engine). :)

Can I make a polite request here, and ask that any thread that asks a simple question that could possibly be interpreted as 'quiz-like', please be aware that we have a dedicated Quiz Forum. If you have an idea for a quiz, please contact the Quizmasters (see Welcome to the Quiz Forum!), who will reach a decision on whether or not to create the quiz. Thanks! :)

Actually this thread isn't so bad, as some of the posts have discussions. It can be tricky at times to decide when it crosses the line from a discussion to a quiz though...

Last edited:
The two main Bristol Stations are a good walk or bus ride to the centre.

I would not ever think of using Bristol Parkway to go into the centre!

But the walk from Temple Meads to Cabots Circus is one of crossing nd by passing heavily used roads and a coupl eof nightmare roundabouts and slipways.

I have to say though on a nice spring/summer morning the Ferry form Temple Meads to the City Centre is a nice 20 minute put put along the river.... not gone the return route in the 15 years I have lived in these parts but I understand there is a slight detour past the SS Great Britain in the rturn leg.

C

Stewart

Salford Central is further from the centre of Salford (a precinct :D) than Salford Crescent. I think the Central bit refers to it being on the edge of Manchester city centre!

LE Greys

Established Member
Salford Central is further from the centre of Salford (a precinct :D) than Salford Crescent. I think the Central bit refers to it being on the edge of Manchester city centre!

I always thought it had something to do with the Great Central Railway, like Warrington Central and Brackley Central (which wasn't very "central").

mr williams

I have to say though on a nice spring/summer morning the Ferry form Temple Meads to the City Centre is a nice 20 minute put put along the river.... not gone the return route in the 15 years I have lived in these parts but I understand there is a slight detour past the SS Great Britain in the rturn leg.
C

Do the morning/evening commuter ferries still run? I seem to remember they were going to withdraw them a year or so back unless the council came up with some money.

exile

Established Member
I always thought it had something to do with the Great Central Railway, like Warrington Central and Brackley Central (which wasn't very "central").

No - Salford Central was owned by the LYR. I think "Central" is a recent addition to the name anyway. Warrington Central was owned by the CLC and actually is "Central".

Welshman

Established Member
No - Salford Central was owned by the LYR. I think "Central" is a recent addition to the name anyway. Warrington Central was owned by the CLC and actually is "Central".

You're right.
In L&Y times, the station was simply "Salford"

It was only renamed "Central" in 1988 to avoid confusion with the newly-opened Salford Crescent.

As you say, it is by no means "central" to Salford.

D1009

Established Member
Do the morning/evening commuter ferries still run? I seem to remember they were going to withdraw them a year or so back unless the council came up with some money.

Regrettably not, however if you leave Temple Meads via the river exit there is an easier walk to town that avoids the roundabouts.

SS4

Established Member
Lichfield Trent Valley is quite far from Lichfield. For that matter is it anywhere near the Trent (Valley?)

Gwenllian2001

Llantrisant used to be interesting with Llantrisant Station being in Pontyclun; a very stiff uphill walk, even for the fit. On the other hand Cross Inn Station was within the boundary of Llantrisant.

Since reopening, Llantrisant Station has become Pontyclun and Cross Inn is long gone. Confused? Seems like an open and shut case to me.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Err... Windermere, Oxenholme and possibly Silverdale and Arnside?

Windermere is particularly frustrating because it could be (and I believe used to be) much more convenient until BR decided to (presumably) save money by selling the original station to a supermarket, then rebuilding in a sillier location.

Though admittedly, when Booths is open, there is still quick-ish route from Windermere station to the village centre - trouble is, it involves going through the supermarket, cutting across the car park, climbing a low fence, then scrambling down an earth/mud[1] embankment between the trees!

[1] depending on time of year.

Kendal is also noteworthy, partly because it's further from the town centre than you'd ideally like, but mostly because the station entrance is so ridiculous: A long walk up a station driveway to get to the end of the platform, which would've been completely unnecessary if they'd put an entrance at the other end of the platform - where the line crosses a very convenient main road, so a stairway up from the road would've made the station miles more convenient (although in the absence of a lift, the current entrance would presumably still be useful to give disabled access).

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
On a bit of a tangent I often wondered why Canterbury West (North of the City Centre) and Canterbury East (South of the City Centre) were so named.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Lichfield Trent Valley is quite far from Lichfield. For that matter is it anywhere near the Trent (Valley?)

No, but it's on the Trent Valley stretch of the West Coast Mainline, which does cross the river Trent a couple of times. Like Rugeley Trent Valley and Nuneaton Trent Valley, it would have been given that name so it was clear which station in the town was which.

DownSouth

Established Member
On a bit of a tangent I often wondered why Canterbury West (North of the City Centre) and Canterbury East (South of the City Centre) were so named.
A testament to the competence (or otherwise) of the local surveyors, probably a company named "North England Surveyors Inc" or similar?
For most difficult pedestrian access I suggest Eigerwand...
Or maybe Smallbrook Junction as there isn't any!
All that pedestrian access to Smallbrook Junction would need is hopping over a fence. Eigerwand would be a significant amount harder than that!

PaulLothian

Windermere is particularly frustrating because it could be (and I believe used to be) much more convenient until BR decided to (presumably) save money by selling the original station to a supermarket, then rebuilding in a sillier location.

I don't think it was relocated more than a few yards from where it was originally built, as part of the reduction in the size of the station. It was always inconveniently sited away from the lakeside, and it was later that the village that developed around it was renamed Windermere.

Regrettably not, however if you leave Temple Meads via the river exit there is an easier walk to town that avoids the roundabouts.

Apologies I had forgootten to mention the loss of the morning commute ferries. Mainly because I tend to get there after the rush hour these days, they still run hourly form 10:10 though I tend to get there later.

Its an interesting way to travel in the city when you get the chance

Timetable here:

Code:
http://bristolferry.com/content/documents/MapForDom%28templemeads%29.pdf

It is a totally different experience for my 3 times a week arrival at Paddington

C

Southern

Sandling, Kent is a good 30 minute walk from the town it serves, Hythe. Bit of an eerie walk at night, not to mention the house at the bottom of the hill is reputed to be haunted! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.