• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations next to the beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1e10

mJsi6UYl.jpg

Penzance is fairly close.

Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
I've just had a vague memory of an episode of Coast, in which the archaeology-presenter (Mark Horton?) was looking at some rails which ran along a beach on the south coast. They were constructed by an entrepreneur who made a sort of 'rolling-tower' whose top was above the high-tide line: passengers could travel back and forth above the waves.

I can't for the life of me remember where it is though!

WestCountry

I've just had a vague memory of an episode of Coast, in which the archaeology-presenter (Mark Horton?) was looking at some rails which ran along a beach on the south coast. They were constructed by an entrepreneur who made a sort of 'rolling-tower' whose top was above the high-tide line: passengers could travel back and forth above the waves.

I can't for the life of me remember where it is though!

You're thinking of the Seashore Electric Railway at Brighton. Ridiculous contraption! :p

Jay

Scarborough in 100 years time when the cliff erodes could be a little near to the sea.

Cletus

Established Member
From the overbridge at Ardrossan South Beach you can see the sea.

(Never been there, just typed 'beach' into NRE and went to Google Streetview!)

1e10

And not forgetting West Bay (Bridport) long closed.

Where about did this used to be? I had no idea that one ever existed! (I'm young)

I love visiting West Bay and often go every year but by car. I would love to be able to travel to it by train more often but the only option now seems to be to either go to Dorchester or Weymouth and then catch the X53 bus service to West Bay. The trouble being that the bus only runs once every 2 hours.

bishdunster

West Bay station was the terminus of the Bridport branch, it closed to passengers in 1930, goods lingered on until 1962. It is located just to the east of the harbour. In the 90's the Swanage railway won a tender to lay four panels of track in the platform, and for a few years a couple of coaches were there used I believe as a restaurant, these I believe have now gone. Last time I was there (2011 I think), the station was a tea shop, trading under the name of "The Tea Station", not been there for a few years now so things may have changed.

Hove Heretic

Seaford (Sussex). There's a (possibly apocryphal) tale that the station was/is close enough for an earthing cable to be slung into the sea as soon as it was realised that the signal frame was 'live' when the line was sparked up back in 1933.

Status
Not open for further replies.