• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations not near their names

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Apologies if this has been done before, I'm sure it has but I'm no good at searching.

I noticed that Kirby Stephen station was a considerable distance from the centre of Kirby Stephen. What are other good examples?

Please point me to a thread that already exists if it does and we can shut this one down.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Kingham station is about a mile from Kingham itself IIRC - it's closer to Bledington than Kingham. Combe station is half a mile from Combe itself too - not massive distances but still not next door!

-Peter

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Here’s a similar thread from 2019:
And from 2021:

I find often the easiest way to find this sort of thread is to use the forum search for your initial example such as “Kirkby Stephen” (but spelt correctly) :D

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
Dent. 4 miles from Dent village. Was once asked by a punter why the station wasn’t nearer the village. I had to explain that the station had to go where the tracks were.

SteveM70

Established Member
Dent. 4 miles from Dent village. Was once asked by a punter why the station wasn’t nearer the village. I had to explain that the station had to go where the tracks were.

Because a funicular wasn’t viable?

Grecian 1998

You probably want to specifically exclude stations called Junction or Parkway, or you may find this is a very long list.

rower40

Liverpool Street is nowhere near Liverpool.
Nor were there many famous battles fought at Waterloo station.

superjohn

Liverpool Street is nowhere near Liverpool.
It is right next to Liverpool Street though, quite a handy coincidence really.

I mentioned Wickham Market on a similar recent thread. It seems the locals are pushing to have it named more realistically:

option

Birmingham International is nowhere near Birmingham (city centre) or in international waters.

However the airport was Birmingham International, BHX. Which is also the IATA code for the station.

SargeNpton

Established Member
I mentioned Wickham Market on a similar recent thread. It seems the locals are pushing to have it named more realistically:
"Suffolk County Councillor Alexander Nicoll has offered to spend some of his locality money to buy new signs for the railway station at Campsea Ashe to accurately record its position."

The councillor may find that the cost of re-naming the station extends far beyond putting up new station signs.

steamybrian

Established Member
Here are a few in the South East--

Knockholt station is about 3 miles from Knockholt village
Penshurst station is about 2 miles from Penshurst village
Effingham Junction is nearly two miles from Effingham village
Godstone station is located in South Godstone village and about 2 miles from Godstone.
Appledore (Kent) station is about one and half miles from the village along a narrow, twisting, unlit road without a pavement.

D6130

Established Member
Thirsk....nearly two miles from the town centre and actually situated in the village of Carlton Miniott.
Witley....nearly two miles from the village of that name and actually situated in the village of Wormley.
Micheldever....a couple of miles from the village of that name and actually in the middle of nowhere.

Llandudno

Established Member
Dolgarrog, not too far from the village as the crow flies, but there is no road, and I think still no footpath access between the station and the village,

MadMac

No longer there, but Houston & Crosslee wasn’t in either place: it was in Brookfield.
Kirknewton was originally so named, but was renamed to Midcalder (miles away) due to confusion with another one in the Borders. It reverted to its original name in 1982.

Falcon1200

Established Member
No longer there, but Houston & Crosslee wasn’t in either place: it was in Brookfield.
Kirknewton was originally so named, but was renamed to Midcalder (miles away) due to confusion with another one in the Borders. It reverted to its original name in 1982.

Another long-gone Scottish oddity was Crosshouse, which was actually in Knockentiber !

Tring is well out of Tring town… and Cheddington is fairly remote as well

SargeNpton

Established Member
Burnham was never within the Burnham boundary and has since been swallowed up by Slough.

duncanp

Established Member
Cromford station is nearly a mile from the centre of the village.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Llanbister Road station is 8 km from the metropolis of that name.

Birmingham 'International' seems particularly inappropriately named, for it is in the heart of England far from any other country.

Luebeck train station was in a good situation near the town centre, but in 1908 it was moved far away up hill to make room for road traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.