• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations not officially closed but with no services stopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6975

Established Member
More generally if a station has the same name and is in roughly the same place but doesn't actually reuse any physical aspects of what was there before is it the same station? how far can "roughly the same place" be pushed?
Filton was replaced by Filton Abbey Wood 0.3 miles away and I don't think it went through closure procedures.

The exile

Established Member
Filton was replaced by Filton Abbey Wood 0.3 miles away and I don't think it went through closure procedures.
Think it did - but unlikely to have had many objections given the uplift in services that the new station brought with it

The Quincunx

Think it did - but unlikely to have had many objections given the uplift in services that the new station brought with it
Filton definitely went through the proper process. I recall that a small handful of objections were received but no serious points made to warrant keeping it open.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I think there’s a blanket exemption for the various light rail and tram networks - Railways Act 2005 section 38 mentions it, albeit without giving an explicit list of networks.

Woodlands Road (Manchester Metrolink) had to have formal closure procedures (https://www.orr.gov.uk/sites/default/files/om/stn-closure-ratification-notice-woodlands-rd.pdf)

Whether that was because it was a legacy BR station, I’m not sure. It was replaced by the nearby Abraham Moss and Queens Road stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.