• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations Opened or Re-Opened only to be Closed Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Again somethng from one thread leads me to ask a point along similar lines. From the surprisingly poor train service thread and how poor the Melksham service is had me wondering about newly opened or re-opened sations that didn't last long.
I can think of Corby being opened and then closed but at least it is now open again. One I can recall (after wondering how to exit Sinfin North) is the Sinfin Central branch of which only Peartree remains and that has a failry poor service. Am sure there are probably others that have been opened or re-opened post Beeching that closed again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SprinterMan

Established Member
Fishguard and Goodwick was closed by beeching in 1964, but was reopened in 1965 for Motorail trains. It then shut in 1980 before reopening a few weeks ago :P

lordhinton

dont know how long for and when but south wigston was closed then re opened again, seems a pretty poor station though

thanks
dan

Shimbleshanks

Llanfairpwll on Anglesey closed in 1966, was reopened after the Britannia Bridge fire in 1970 as a temporary terminus and closed again in 1973 - only for it to reopen again permanently four months later!

Meadowbank in Edinburgh. It was on a disused loop north of the ECML between the eastern portal of the Calton Tunnel and where St. Margarets depot was. It was open for a few weeks when the 1986 Commonwealth Games was on.

LE Greys

Established Member
Neither Maiden Lane or Nine Elms lasted very long, but then neither was meant to. They were superceeded by King's Cross and Waterloo respectively, although both ended up as the sites of goods depots and major sheds.

krus_aragon

Established Member
There'll be countless examples on heritage railways, where having built a mile of track a halt was built, but once the line was extended onwards the halt was closed. e.g.:

Boston Lodge on the Ffestiniog Railway
Hafod y Llyn on the Welsh Highland Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.