• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations similar to London Blackfriars that span a river

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijmad

Established Member
I was trying to think of other stations like London Blackfriars that span a river, with entrances on both sides. So far I've come up with Möckernbrücke on the Berlin U-bahn (although the trains don't run over the river, the station incorporates a bridge for passengers) but other than that I'm coming up short.

So can we make a list?

Group A would be stations stations where both the tracks and platforms are over the river (as well as having entrances on both banks - Charing Cross doesn't count)

Group B would be stations where the tracks don't cross the river but there are pedestrian entrances on both sides.

Also, is there an example in the world of an underground station like Blackfriars, where the platforms are under the riverbed and passengers can go up to either side rather than down?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Sheffield sits over the confluence of Porter Brook and River Sheaf. I don't know how it lies in respect to entrances/tracks in the categories above, though.

SHD

I was trying to think of other stations like London Blackfriars that span a river, with entrances on both sides. So far I've come up with Möckernbrücke on the Berlin U-bahn (although the trains don't run over the river, the station incorporates a bridge for passengers) but other than that I'm coming up short.

So can we make a list?

Group A would be stations stations where both the tracks and platforms are over the river (as well as having entrances on both banks - Charing Cross doesn't count)

Group B would be stations where the tracks don't cross the river but there are pedestrian entrances on both sides.

Also, is there an example in the world of an underground station like Blackfriars, where the platforms are under the riverbed and passengers can go up to either side rather than down?

Vorobyovy Gory on the Moscow Metro Line 1 is built within a bridge that spans the Moskova river and certainly belongs to group A.

Regarding underground stations - Sportivnaya on the St Petersburg metro Line 5 has pedestrian entrances on both sides of the Small Neva. Saint-Michel-Notre Dame (Paris RER Line B) has pedestrian entrances on the Île de la Cité as well as on the Left bank, either side of the (small) southern arm of the Seine.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member

A few stops west from Blackfrisrs, Sloane Square Station is crossed by the River Westbourne, in a green Iron covered culvert visible from the platforms which pass beneath it.

The River Irwell separates Manchester Victoria from the former Manchester Exchange, which were connected along what used to be the longest platform on British Rail. The River Irk runs under Manchester Victoria.

Veteran Member
is there an example in the world of an underground station like Blackfriars, where the platforms are under the riverbed and passengers can go up to either side rather than down?
Presumably that's the Fleet not the Thames?

Aberdeen station sits on top of the Den Burn which runs under the station in a tunnel! Prior to the station being built, the river ran on the surface.

i suspect there will be quite a lot of other similar situations.

route101

Established Member
If Glasgow Central gets HS2 upgrade , it will have entrances both sides of the Clyde.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Cathcart in Glasgow sits over a small river (the White Cart Water)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
A metro station on the U1 in Wien spans the Danube. There may be an ÖBB station over the river too.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Shrewsbury?

The platforms project well over the River Severn, but I don't believe they ever reached the south bank or that there was ever a public entrance on the south side.
There's pretty easy access to the prison to the east, but that's another sort of list!

XAM2175

Established Member
Zurich HBF is built over the river Sihl

And under it as well, when you include the subsurface lines! Zurich Selnau nearby is also built under the Sihl, with the entrance from the surface passing directly through the river.

Some of Köln HBf’s platforms extend over the Rhein
They get close, but none of them extend quite that far. They'd need to be built right out onto the Hohenzollernbrücke to actually be over the water.

What about the Wuppertal Monorail?

Very nicely done :D

ijmad

Established Member
Thanks for all these great examples everyone! Time to explore them all on Google Maps.

Tester

Mukogawa, on the Hanshin main line west of Osaka, is a classic Group A - with the added fun of a branch platform at right angles, Liskeard style.

Actually Japan teems with unusual stations - check out Doai!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If Glasgow Central gets HS2 upgrade , it will have entrances both sides of the Clyde.
Not quite what the OP asked, but does any part of Glasgow Central station (at the far platform ends) currently stretch out over the Clyde?

Status
Not open for further replies.